on 19 March 2011
I am Italian and I can tell you this Cappuccino frothing jug does everything that is supposed to do. You can heat the milk straight on the stove rather then separately, which I found quite annoying with other ones I have previously owned and have broken shortly after buying them.

I also make creamy milk or hot chocolate with it for my daughter and she loves it. It's easy to clean and looks and feels durable.

Pair it with a Bialetti Caffettiera and you are good to go to Coffee heaven. Bialetti is a very well known brand in Italy and u cannot go wrong with it. I would definitely recommend this product.

28/07/2014 UPDATE:

I still have this and have used it regularly, it's still in good conditions. I do not own a dishwasher so it has been only washed by hand. It is still one of my favourites gadgets in the kitchen and the cappuccino is creamy every time. Practical good quality and does what it's made for well.
review image review image
55 comments| 229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Rather than buying one of those rather unsatisfying cappuccino pod machines, where the result never really tastes like cappuccino, or going the whole-hog for a Gaggia, this frothing jug can quickly make several mugs worth of really frothy milk in less than a minute. You can do it with hot milk or cold milk, depending on what you want to get, although, because this is a metal jug, you can't put this one in the microwave. One of my colleagues, who used to be a barista in a coffee-shop, felt the texture was excellent, but the milk really ought to be hot rather than cold for the authentic effect.

If you're in the dark about what this does, essentially it twirls around a couple of rotating nets in the milk, a bit like using a whisk, but much, much quicker because the pump action of the thing on top is geared to make it twist very, very fast. You could do something similar with an electric mixer, but it would take longer, and it wouldn't be as good, because the netting has a very fine mesh.

You _can_ put it in the dish-washer, but it might not do you much good -- we found that the dishwasher really didn't clean the milk from the the twirling filter, which means that you have to wash it by hand, or suffer milk which begins to taste like yoghurt. On the other hand, it's non-stick, and so a fairly easy hand-wash.

This is a great device, but not perfect. The exterior scratches easily, and it needs about 1/4 of the jug to be filled with milk to froth at all. The bottom centimetre doesn't really froth at all, which means you will waste a bit of milk each time if you aren't doing a lot of drinks.

Good though, nonetheless.
33 comments| 212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2010
I've tried them all - Dualit £400 Cappuchino machine, The little battery powered whizzy spinners, Dualit's £50 heater/frother (waste of money), and Bodum's glass plungers like this (which inevitably get broken!). The double filter produces a denser, creamier milk of any machine I have tried (the lower the fat the better the froth). By the way, I have used it in my Panasonic microwave and no sparks - but beware - the handle gets incredibly hot - so best to still use it on the hob.
44 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2012
I've tried a lot of frothers - for years I used Bodums, and have tried their fancy manual and their entry level manual (not their electric ones) and was very pleased with the results, and sometimes I broke the glass bit, and I liked the fact that you could microwave the glass bit. I had TWO Latteccinos (by Dualit) and both broke after two months with the most painstakingly careful and loving handling. The Dualit machine was lovely and so fast and convenient but the froth wasn't very rich and the milk was never hot enough for an adult. It was perfect for my daughter's milk. But my goodness their customer service was shockingly bad! And yes, read the reviews of that little device, they're true.

Sorry about the huge preamble. I bought this on the strength of the reviews here. I am very very glad. The jug is sturdy and non-breakable, so no pussyfooting around it as with the Bodum. The froth is unbelievable. With very little pumping it is thick, thick, thick, and it stays thick. Perfect for cappuccinos and flat whites, and my daughter is delighted with her morning fluffy milk.
on 15 May 2011
I found this contraption in the back of the kitchen cupboard today and thought I'd give it a go. I had no idea how to use it so I tried looking up the directions on Google and on the US Amazon but I found nothing. Thankfully there are plenty of reviews on here with directions. Thank you! I have no idea where my mom bought it because I'm pretty sure she didn't order it from the UK! On top of the exchange rate, shipping would be outrageous to California. Maybe it used to be offered on Amazon.com.

I followed the instructions given by a few people - Heat the milk on the stove while the coffee is brewing until little bubbles form around the edges. Take off the burner and pump away. It worked like a charm. I am fully satisfied with my cappuccino and it's so much cheaper than Starbucks! I added a bit of sugar and a dash of cinnamon and it's perfect.

Also, I made a vanilla steamer with the leftover milk. Super tasty.

Thanks for the help UK'ers. Much appreciated :)
on 12 November 2008
Easy to use, easy to clean (dishwasher), easy to store and hassle free cappucinos and lattes. Got 2 more as chistmas presents for friends! Makes better milk froth then any expensive coffee machines and is by far more hassel free. Togehter with a good italian espresso maker & coffee you can give these high street coffee shops a run for their money.
on 23 June 2009
I've had this a few weeks now and it compliments my 2cup brikka perfectly. I now make, what i like to call, a 'brikkuccino'. Warm the milk on the hob then prepare the brikka. Take the Tuttocrema off the hob once its warmed up and plunge it a few times. Pour the coffee from the brikka (or moka pot) into a cappuccino mug then add the frothed milk and there you have it a perfectly good tasting cappuccino!! It's a very easy to use and clean. It is also a lot cheaper than a cappuccino machine. Its also quite a nice morning ritual that doesnt take long to make. Enjoy!!
on 13 January 2011
one of the better products on the market for frothing milk
1 - 2 filters for better froth
2 - not made of glass as they break to easy
on 19 January 2016
Brilliant! The jug part is made out of sturdy aluminium with a teflon inner coating and the plunger has a plastic cap and seive joined by a metal plunger rod. You heat the milk up in the jug on a hob or separately in the microwave. Then, when the coffe is ready you push the plunger down vigorously and frequently for about 10-15 secs. It produces a beautifully strong, foamy head especially with skimmed milk. The only criticism, and it is a small one, is that the seive drips some foam when pouring the milk as you have to take the pluger out of the jug to pour the milk. But it produces excellent foam for cappuccinos which is what I use it for. My wife says it is as good as shop bought cappuccinos so saves us some money buying those. I would definitely recommend.
on 12 December 2012
I think the only way you'll get better frothed milk than this produces is if you buy a professional espresso machine with a milk wand fitted. Makes extremely dense froth for cappuccinos, and will produce micro foam for lattes and flat whites with a bit of practise. I've yet to pour decent latte art using this device, mainly because the line between un-frothed milk and dense froth is extremely fine. It won't make a "dry" cappuccino (essentially espresso topped with foam so dense with air it mixes less with the coffee), but for everything else it's perfect. I often just use it for a late night mug of warm milk, which with this is like drinking a sweet cloud. I wish I could get hold of a smaller version though, as you need to fill it to a minimum of 1/4 for you to have enough milk to work with. Still, Bialetti lets no one down when it comes to its legendary quality and timeless design!