on 28 February 2007
We had a bad experience with our first purchase of a pasta machine - basically it was rubbish. We bought the Imperia instead and have been really pleased with it. It is a good, solid, quality product that makes great pasta. The attachments fit firmly and the action is really smooth. We can't believe the difference it makes to the quality of the pasta. It is so quick and easy to use and comes with some good advice and recipes.
0Comment| 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2009
Bought this to replace a kitchen craft model that was utter tosh, and haven't looked back. The machine feels lightweight, but don't let this fool you: when secured to the worktop it is sturdy and can be operated one-handed without creeping or sliding. The rollers and turning mechanism are excellent and the machine produced fantastic pasta with only three run-through-and-fold-overs on the highest setting before dropping down through each of the settings to produce sheets of delicate pasta. The extra cutting deck seems like pure magic - we had such fun producing our own stranded pasta with little effort. I'm so very impressed with this little machine and what it can do - it made the whole experience easy and fun. When I bought a bread maker I stopped buying bread, now having bought this pasta maker I will no longer buy pasta.

Two tips... 1) Freeze your dough once it's been kneaded sufficiently - much easier to run through the machine once it has defrosted. 2) Do have a play with the stranded pasta - you don't need to go to the bother of drying it, simply toss some flour through it to stop it sticking, bag it up and freeze it till you want to use it. You can cook it straight from the freezer, and it still tastes fantastic.
0Comment| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2008
This is really sturdy, the rollers run smoothly - it's fab! What's worth knowing is that the tagliatelle cutter (rolled to no4 thickness) produces 2mm ribbons just like the fresh spaghetti you get in supermarkets and the fettucine cutter (also rolled to no4) is like the fresh tagliatelle.
33 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2007
I originally bought the Typhoon pasta machine at about £10 cheaper - big mistake - the thing broke the first time i tried to use it and left me thinking that pasta machines were a waste of time. So I got refunded and bought this - this is just superb - Sturdy, solid, build to last and the rollers move smoothly and consistantly (unlike the Typhoon one which feels like a childs version by comparison). Choose this model and you'll never have the need to look elsewhere!
44 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2010
I received the pasta maker from my wife as a Christmas present, thus never had the opportunity to select the model for myself. Never fear, my wife is a review junkie and won't make a purchase without looking at the consensus of opinion before parting with her money, she did great this time.

Quality: Having some engineering experience I can say this is a very well made piece of kit, its metal content suggests that its robust and it is. The simple to attach gadgetry is very much in line with the manufacture of the Imperia philosophy of not over engineering anything. What parts are used to build this pasta machine is required and made to last, no token parts or embellishments to provide a look, everything is functional.

How simple is it to make a tasty pasta? For a generous 2 person portion, measure 300 millilitres of flour (about 140 grams), 1 egg and a teaspoon of Extra virgin olive oil is all you need, with a splash of water to get dough of the right consistency. I cheat, I use the blunt paddles in a food processor (as opposed to the chopping ones) and within 30 seconds you have a great dough to get things going. You can add spinach (about 70 grams)that has been dropped into boiling water for about 2 minutes (remove the stalks first) and remove as much water as possible before blending with dough mix, this makes a very green pasta that looks as good as it tastes.

Rolling the dough: The best advice I can offer is to organise yourself, have flour to hand and dust both sides before each pass through the machine. Begin with egg sized pasta dough balls and give yourself a chance to develop the technique that is required to make good pasta. Start on the widest roller spacing for your first pass, then reduce the gap with subsequent runs through, remembering to flour each time. The rolled dough can be fed into machine rollers and the rest laid to the right side and left to be dragged into the machine. Turn the handle in a clockwise direction with your right hand and support the exiting rolled dough with you left hand gently pulling the dough clear as you wind. On using the attachments, the rolled dough is fed into the rollers and the dough laids to the left, winding the handle in a clock wise direction with LEFT hand and gently supporting and pulling the dough from the right hand side of the machine.

Cost: The machine itself though more expensive than most manual machines, is well worth the extra cost, you won't be buying a second machine in ages (if at all) The pasta cost works out at about 40p a portion and tastes well better than anything from a supermarket, dried or the stuff packaged as fresh and you can do so at a moments notice.

Overall verdict. My wife has played a blinder in getting the Imperia Pasta machine. The gadgets are a good price too, I've already bought the spaghetti attachment and will be looking to add to the machine with more gadgets in time. If I can offer one tip, it would be that avoid a damp dough, sticky pasta will cause problems, if anything work too dry (over floured) and get use to using the machine, The usage will become simple as time passes and you'll develop a feel for what will work best for you pretty quickly. Technique will conquer all.
22 comments| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 July 2007
It was with doubts that I ordered this machine but it was set up and we had a pasta meal in the same day!

Excellent quality product and does what it states, would recommend to all pasta enthusiasts.
on 9 August 2007
I have just bought a new Imperia machine, my old one was worn out after 15 years of use, I found it difficult to track down a new one so I bought a Typhoon instead, complete disaster, it broke the first time I used it! The Imperia machines are nicely built, they are a pleasure to use and they last.
on 1 February 2008
Bought a cheaper model at 17 pounds and it broke the first time i used it. This one however is sturdy, sits on the bench perfectly, and makes amazing pasta. Tried it today for the first time and i was well surprised how easy it was to use. Dont get a cheaper inferior model, buy this one, you cannot go wrong.
on 21 February 2008
We got this going off other people reviews here and it's a great machine, the attachment for cutting spaghetti/tagliatelle works great. The only gripe about the whole package is the clamp and it's ineffectiveness. We ended up having to have one person holding the machine while the other person used it, though now it's screwed down to a large wooden board. Looking at the machine itself it's clear that a little thought about the clamp and how it would work would have made a 4/5 score 5/5.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 April 2010
My video shows the setting up of the pasta machine. It shows spaghetti being made with a basic tomato sauce.

5 JUNE 2010: much easier to use in Summer! 70F in kitchen, cut spaghetti through number 3 cutter without leaving a trace to clean!

29 Nov 2011: please view my video review of The Pasta Machine Cookbook: 100 Simple and Successful Home Pasta Making Recipesfor how to use this pasta machine for making great ravioli.

This is an excellent aid for all those who love fresh pasta. For me it has proven to be something of a revelation when it comes to spaghetti. I never knew it could be so smooth, so delicious. If you can manage a tomato sauce it is time to really change up by making spaghetti bolognaise. Restaurant quality is easily reached. The recipe in "Good Housekeeping" Cookery Book: The Cook's Classic Companion (Good Housekeeping Institute) is perfect.

I did film the pasta being made but could not fit it in. It is 200g of '00' flour and two large eggs. I left the pasta sealed in a plastic bag for at least two hours, then cut in half replacing the other half in the plastic bag for use the following day. You see the first half in the video. The tomato sauce in my video is: half an onion chopped, about a quarter of an inch of butter, a sprinkling of Winsford's finest, pepper, some mixed herbs and three plum tomatoes.

Spaghetti is the most difficult thing to make using the machine. Lasagne sheets are very easy and the tagliatelle strips no problem. My spaghetti is for one person but since there are upwards of seven million people living alone in this country I trust it may be helpful. The Imperia pasta machine with double cutters is highly recommended. There is obviously more than one way to get spaghetti from the machine but after much sticky research I find my way always works.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse