Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(2 star). See all 56 reviews
on 3 March 2009
Other reviewers here have all enjoyed the magical dancing in this film - and so did I; who could not? - but what they don't say is that there isn't enough of it. We have to wait half an hour for the first Astaire tap routine while the exceedingly silly story and syrupy music crank into action and then grind along, with all the actors inc. Astaire overacting, as if themselves embarrassed by the 'plot' (if you can call it that) and dialogue. There then follow another 3 or 4 great dance routines and that's the lot. Too low a ratio of dance to save the film.

I thought Rita Hayward was excellent in Orson Welles' bizarre The Lady from Shanghai, and that's a must-see film for its famously stunning final scenes set in a Hall of Mirrors where multi-Hayworth images sparkle and glitter, a feast for the eyes. Here, though, I asked myself: aside from the dancing, does she really stand out from her 3 sisters, and the answer was no, alas.
6 people found this helpful