Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Who Killed......
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 October 2017
Not bad but not really my thing.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 November 2005
The Zutons are one of those bands that grab you by the ears and force you to take notice. They somehow blend a staggering array of influences and condense them into a recognisable and catchy sound. Impressive, but then they go and make all the songs sound like they're by different bands - the only unifying factor Dave McCabe's unique voice and Abi Harding's occasional sax-out. They're not as slickly marketed as Franz Ferdinand, and haven't got the slightly creepy devotional following of The Libertines, but what really comes across with this album is that it's the one that they *wanted* to make. A strong sense of fun and camaraderie comes across when you listen to Who Killed... The Zutons.
Musically, there are some real stand-out songs on this album - 'Dirty Dancehall', 'You Will You Won't' and the paranoid freakout of 'Pressure Point' - and almost all of the more fast-paced songs could be singles.
The slower songs on the album are where the real genius of The Zutons shows, with some wonderful lyrical content (it's hard to imagine a better description of the loss of friendship than 'Remember Me') and some wonderful melodies.
Granted it's annoying that the band has chosen to re-release the album just to include 'Dont Ever Think (Too Much)', but it is a great song and a welcome addition to the album.
on 29 June 2004
The Zutons 'Who Killed the Zutons?' album is a lively, ecclectic fun mix which makes the listener want to dance and sing along.
On initial listening I was concerned that the songs sounded a little too similar to past genres to be original but then I went to see them live and was completely swept up in the sheer genius and enegy which make up the Zutons.
One of the main plus points of the Zutons as opposed from their possible contempories in the indie/rock genre is the funky ever present use of the bass, and of course their true jem; Abbie on the cheeky saxophone, which is what really distinguishes the band.
My personal favourites are:
'Confusion', one of the few ballady-type songs with a beautiful bass part, about the ending of a relationship; 'Things have changed/I'm not the same/Now I must walk the other way'...'From day one I led you on/I'm sorry girl but I can't stay'.
'Pressure Point', a feverish song full of energy which builds up into a truely enjoyable crescendo.
And of course the anthem - 'Zuton Fever', which is just genius. Sing with me...'You know I get that funny feeling/Like an epidemic running through my head/Oh I got that feeling it's the best/Got the Zuton Fever in my head...'!!!
I would encourage listeners to see them live as they will be in for a real musical treat.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 July 2014
Although The Zutons, one of my favourite bands to emerge from Liverpool in recent times, scored their biggest hits 'Valerie' and 'Why Won't You Give Me Your Love? in 2006, which were featured on their second album 'Tired of Hanging Again', their 2004 debut 'Who Killed......The Zutons?' is well worth hearing.

The album spawned an impressive five UK chart hits: 'Pressure Point' (#19), 'You Will You Won't' (#22), 'Remember Me' (#39), 'Don't Ever Think (Too Much)' (#15) and 'Confusion' (#37), which went along way to making the album a double platinum bestseller.

The music is funky and uptempo for the most part, but slower tracks like the quiet folk song 'Confusion', and country flavoured 'Railroad' are relaxing and uplifting. I think the band were just finding their sound, or even showcasing their versatility when they released this quality album. The songs here certainly sound different to the next, so much that it is quite difficult to actually label their music. There are elements of rock, soul, country, pop and jazz, but because of this, I would say that The Zutons have something that will appeal to every listener.

It's a shame that these guys have since split, but their three albums still give me plenty of enjoyment, and now that ten years has passed since the release of 'Who Killed......', a far bit of nostalgia. To answer the question, I can't think of anyone who would wish to murder them, but I do wish that they'd reform and give us some new material.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 December 2004
The Zutons are one of those bands that you get to know without realising... After a lot of this album has had a fair bit of airplay on X-FM I've found myself singing their catchier bits out loud before I could place the name 'Zutons' to it.
But that's the charm of them - unlike the recent batch of Coldplay wannabes they are truly memorable and can create good music without being in your face.
What finally sent me over the edge to buy the album though was the experience of seeing them opening for Muse. In front of a fairly packed Earls Court they didn't seem overawed and quite frankly got everyone going - Amazing what a good album can do for audience participation!
Although WKTZ doesn't quite capture the energy of their live performances, it's a great disk to throw on to chill out to or for us closet singers to sing along to.
Altogether now... "You will, you won't..."
on 10 January 2005
Having heard the foot-stompingly good You Will You Won't I thought The Zutons may be worth investing in. Subsequently hearing Confusion only confirmed it. Having now bought WKTZ? I was very pleased and surprised to find that neither of these songs (excellent as they are) are the best on the album. In fact there is no 'best' song as there are no weak song alongside which a best could be judged. It is just a blindingly brilliant album! At a time when every guitar band just want to be Coldplay it is refreshing to have tuneful originality. If you like music, be it blues, rock, country, jazz, anything, then buy this album. It is the ultimate musical fusion. 2005 looks like it could be the year of the Zutons!
on 25 February 2005
The answer is not many people. The Zutons, it must be said, are a band in their infancy, still finding their sound - but it also must be said, they are astounding. There isn't a song on their debut album that I didn't love; every single one is catchy or attractive in one way or another. It's really hard, as many have said, to label their music - they seem to combine Rock, Soul, Funk, Ska & Country types of music.
Let's go in-depth, as this seems more logical.
1.) Zuton Fever - Lovely intro, displaying their heavier rock tendancies, with a thrashing riff White Stripes-esque. The vocalist, Dave McCabe, is as always fantastic - he has a bit of Axl Rose in him for sure. 9/10
2.) Pressure Point - Again another rock anthem, very good and a lovely intro. It has to be said their soul/motown twists appear when all the band chip on on vocals to support Dave as a chorus, and it works fantastically. 8.5/10
3.) You Will You Won't - One of my favourites, definately; a sing-along funk-rock song, along the lines of Red Hot Chili Peppers... but then, not so. It's very hard to label them. I suggest listening to this as you'll probably like it instantly; some of the others take a few hearings before they really take off in your head.(or maybe that's just me)10/10
4.) Confusion - A quiet folk-rock song, could even be compared to Simon & Garfunkel? It's getting even harder to compare them as I go along. This is a good song for those who prefer quiet tracks. 8/10
5.) Havana Gang Brawl - This is possibly the hardest to label; let's just say it's very good, lots of nice guitars on it. 8.5/10
[I'll skip track 6, which is Interlude, a 30-second peice with violins and an acoustic guitar, and skip to the best track]
7.) Railroad - Without a doubt my favourite on the whole album, about a Chinese worker constructing the Transamerican Railroad. (If that's the name, something like that lol) It starts off as a lovely folk love song, and then grows into a country sing-a-long at the end - you just have to listen to this song, right to the end, to see what I mean. 11/10.
8.) Long Time Coming - I like this one alot, too; it gives the Saxaphonist alot more musical space. It's definately a Rock-Ska track and has a wonderful[ly loud] chorus, with McCabe showing some excellent vocals with a wonderful electric guitar beat. 9/10
9.) Nightmare Part II - Another fantastic song - the drums here, like in "You Will You Won't" are just superb; it can be said it's the heavy drum beats that set the songs apart. Really good. 8.5/10
10.) Not A Lot to Do - Another Folk/Country song, with other vocalists backing Dave up again - this Motown-esque chorus type is very effective -even when doing the softest folk song, the Zutons find a way to pick it up and they do, as it grows louder and puts yet again more emphasis on the Saxaphonist. 8.5/10
11.) Remember Me - the Skariest(Bad pun, considering it's cover... lol) song around, with country and rock thrown in for good measure; it's the sad story of a man who's best friend has deserted him for the girl of his dreams. But the Zutons are not intent on keeping you down; it's infectiously catchy and definately won't spread the unhappiness. 9/10
12.) Dirty Dancehall - Another staggeringly well-crafted song, with the drums and guitars out in full force; a Rock-Funk-Jazz song which is very, very good, including an exceptional chorus which you can't help singing along as it get's louder and louder.
Fabulous. 10/10
13.) Moons & Horror Shows - Despite the odd title, another hit from the Zutons. Their lovely Saxaphonist Abi lends her vocals to duet with Dave in the most Countryish song on the album, which alot of people didn't like. It sounds like a lullaby, admittedly, but it's still good. 8/10
And so there you have their epic debut album - and what a fantastic album it is. I recommend you go out and purchase this immediatly; if you don't like it, heck I'll pay for it. I would sincerely recommend this to people.
Absolutely excellent. :D
on 9 February 2005
This band really just crept up on me throughout 2004 until I felt an unnatural primal urge to go out and buy their album. At first I thought they would be just a rip off of fellow Scousers, The Coral, but I was happily proved wrong. They may not be as eclectic as the other band, but they're just as vibrant and essential. And I certainly made the right decision in shelling out the £10. It is a record that is unmistakably British and infused with the history and sound of Liverpudlian music. However, it doesn't fall into the trap of sounding like a historical rip-off. Zuton Fever slowly builds and builds into a thunderous climax, and throughout Aby's sax appeal (see what I did there?) brings an entirely different element to the mix. In my opinion, I can see everything from 60s Merseybeat and the Beatles through to characteristics of bands like Oasis and even Madness. They can also craft pop classics and catchy sing along tracks like You Will You Won't, and mix them with slower ballads like Confusion. The songs nearer the end of the album like Railroad are most disappointing, with perhaps an apparent lack of ideas. But to sum up, all the 5 singles released (You Will You Won't, Pressure Point, Confusion, Remember Me and Don't Ever Think) are all catchy pop songs, but with a twist. I'm certainly looking forward to the follow up, and they're also surprisingly good live, seeming to appeal to a lot of people.
on 20 January 2005
I bought this album with mixed expectations, having heard "You Will You Won't" (catchy, but not sure whether I liked it or not..). It was money well spent. It sounds different, yet strangely familiar. I hear echoes of The Thrills, The Coral and Cast in their songs, but The Zutons seem to have a bit more of a raw, rocky edge, which was lacking in the other bands. Also pleasing, is that not only the singles, but also the album tracks are strong, a sign of a future classic.
Although I bought the new version, I am slightly alarmed by the fact this has been re-released with an extra track, having been ripped off previously by buying an "old" version of an album, only to find a newer version released some months later.
on 5 May 2004
This is the best record you will hear this year (and its only May).
If you like bands like The Cramps, Devo, Talking Heads, Pixes, B52s, and even that 70s classic "the monster mash" you will love this band, its like a giant melting pot of all the above bands with a twist that is all their own. All i can do is tell you that you have to buy this great Record NOW!