Customer reviews

1,008
Format: DVD|Change

on 22 September 2016
30th Anniversary of a childhood classic of mine. Jim Henson created a myriad of memorable characters and I fondly remember them all.

Anyway, the review. The bluray itself comes in a fantastic digibook, and offers insight and information from the mind of Jim Henson and others.

The film itself has been remastered - and it looks like it was filmed yesterday, rich colours and no grain to be seen even in the dark areas. That's sterling work for such an old film.

The extras are okay, no perfect and nothing new other than a tribute to Bowie compared to previous DVD and bluray release of this film.

New comers to the film will enjoy it and collectors will love it also. Just be noted, the j card is stuck to the back of the digibook with those dredded sticky dots and my book was ripped of Jennifer Connelys face and the wording of the extras when removing it - nightmare. Not amazons fault. But the manufacturer. Will they ever learn that it's unacceptable for use on items such as this 'collectors edition' bluray. Probably not.

Overall 5/5
review image review image
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 April 2017
The movie is truly 5 stars, and one of the best fairy-tales on the big screen. I went to see this on the big screen in the late 1980s and loved it, and I still love it new. The music of David Bowie in this film is just right some times dark, sometimes funny, but time less. The puppies are Jim Henderson's best, and the story is magical. The transfer of this version of the film has some digital artefact's and not the best sound, however the new 4k UHD blu ray is perfect on both counts and truly 5 star.
on 13 December 2015
Loved this film since I was a child so when they released it on blue ray I had to buy a copy. It's a classic Jim Henson's 80's film, they just don't make them like this anymore! David Bowie is great in this film and the songs he sings in it are also some of my favourites that he did, including "As the world falls down" and "Within you" All my children who have watched it, now love it just as much as I did when I was a child ( and now as an adult lol) If you have never watched it then definately do! It's a magical film in a magical labyrinth ;)
on 21 June 2017
I can confirm that the manufacturer has listened and has now packaged the paper backing with a clear plastic wraparound to hold it in place as opposed to using the sticky stuff. No more torn cases!

Also, this is truly the most awesome thing ever! I waited a long time to buy Labyrinth on blu ray after having owned a VHS recording, then an official VHS, then a dvd, then an anniversary dvd...so I skipped over the previous blu ray and I think I made the right choice. Stunning set.
review image review image
on 6 March 2017
A movie to open the imagination (a healthy thing!). This is a classical movie with great humour and a bit of tension ... but what would a story be without it? There are so many amazing parts to this movie and so well played by each of the actors.
on 19 April 2017
What's not to love about this? Jim Henson puppetry, fantasy, and David Bowie!

A fantastic and fun romp which can be enjoyed equally by the young and the not-so-young at heart.

Brilliant.
on 11 June 2017
Excellent film, arrived in one piece! (Well, two actually, if you want to count the case and disc separately!). Prompt dispatch and delivery, great packaging, nothing to complain about!
on 24 March 2017
This Bluray is a huge improvement over the DVD. David Bowie gets to sing and dance with Muppets, I envy him, I have had to work with Muppets many times but never got to sing and dance with them.
on 23 July 2017
Fun fantasy film full of muppets and mistery.
Great film, once seen you will want to watch it again and again.
on 3 July 2017
Forgot how good this film was picture and sound really good, my son watched it at school so I brought it for him, glad I did.