Customer reviews

Set List
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 January 2013
I'm not normally very keen on live albums but this one is an absolute belter. Good old fashioned Irish rock at its very best.
Lead singer Glen Hansard provides some stories between tracks that keep you well entertained & amused. Backed up by a superb band, so good that you could almost be at the gig itself! All backed up by a very enthusiastic Dublin crowd.
I would also recommend another live album by the same band called The Breadcrumb Trail. This album is recorded live in eastern europe. Difficult to get hold of but well worth it if you can. A more intimate gig which is well worth a listen.
on 21 August 2017
Very good!
on 24 October 2015
A greatest hits in all but name , Excellent CD, arrived on time
on 9 October 2014
Would recommend to others
on 11 November 2004
For anyone who is a veteran of Frames gigs this is the album that we have been waiting for, the one that captures that whole magic of Frames lives shows, the banter the classic moments the off the cuff improvisations; but is an absolute must for new fans or people who have yet to see the band live and also for the curious.
Recorded in Dublin in November 2002 over four shows in Vicar Street it is essentially a greatest hits selection which takes you from that shivers down your spine opening moment as the roar of the crowd builds up as the band take the stage and kick in with 'Revelate' to the fantastic epic closure of 'Fitzcarraldo' - even the encore is captured here as Glen Hansard returns to the stage to perform 'The Blood'(the only song here that does not appear on any of their studio albums), complete with audience participation which cannot fail to move even the most cynical listener.
A great studio band are turned into a phenomenal live act during the course of 13 songs, some outstanding and beautiful moments both loud and quiet often provided by the marvellous Colm Mac Con Iomaire's fiddle which cuts right to the heart during songs like 'Your Face' and builds up to a crescendo during 'Fitzcarraldo' and after Hansard's "I will eclipse you" morphs into an absolute frenzy to which the crowd immediately repsond with roars of delight, Joe Doyle's harmonies throughout add a more gentle edge to a lot of the songs and Dave Hingerty who - performing towards the end of his Frames career really proves his mettle here, as is evident on songs such as 'Santa Maria' and 'Fitzcarraldo'. Also Rob Bochnik the most recent addition via Chicago (the city not the band!) wows the crowd by proving just how much work he has put into learning and putting his own spin on the songs.
Also worth mentioning are the live favourites 'Revelate', 'Pavement Tune' and 'God Bless Mom' which dig deep into the bands earlier rock roots but which then easily morph into the more dreamy laid back delights of 'Lay Me Down' (complete with Johnny Cash tribute), 'Star Star', 'Santa' Maria and as mentioned before 'Your Face'. But I think the highlight here has to be 'What Happens When The Heart Just Stops', a heartbreakingly beautiful song which is recieved by the audience with a hushed awe as Hansard seems to rip out his own heart on stage as he sings of disappointment and lost love. Maybe perhaps another track of the outstanding For The Birds is missing from this collection, perhaps 'Friends and Foe' or 'Headlong' but other than that an utterly flawless performance.
It is not only the band you have to listen to on this record to realise just how talented and how deserving they are of the accolade of being the best live act in Ireland, but you hear it in the audiences response, in the cheers and the laughter and the singing along all of which is beautifully captured on this album. Five stars and no doubt about it.
on 23 July 2004
Why oh why is this the first review?! There should be millions of people raving about making the amazing discovery that is this album. But then, that's what continues to amaze me, that The Frames remain so undiscovered, after twelve years, and while they have gathered a loyal cult following, especially in Ireland, they have achieved nowhere near the fame they deserve.
I'm not usually a great fan of live albums, to be honest, but this is the exception, and not only my favourite live album, but one of my favourite albums period. The chemistry between Glen Hansard and his bandmates is trumped only by that between the band and the audience. It is impossible to listen to this album without wishing to be in the audience.
I won't go through the album track by track, I'd just repeat myself over and over again about how each song is so great, but I have to make a special mention of What Happens When the Heart Just Stops...it's a beautiful song, and Glen tells an anecdote at the start..and this sums up what The Frames is about...playing music and telling stories to friends. Oh, and watch out for Star Star, I won't spoil it by telling what happens but it's magic!
Please, buy, and enjoy.
on 22 May 2007
I had only heard the first song when an Irish friend of mine played it... I stopped what I was doing and with eyes bulging out I asked "who is this?", "The Frames" said my friend "they're great, you should hear them live...". And so I looked for a live CD since it was the fastest way I could listen to them live and I got the Set List. Following that, I got so hooked on them I bought three more of their cd's. I cannot believe I'd never heard of them before but I am so thrilled I did eventually. Buy this CD and it will become your favourite, I promise!
on 28 August 2009
There's no doubt that The Frames, as a band, are hugely talented. I don't think the recording on the albums capture their sound quite right. This live album, however, does. Two songs which are fantastic on this album are 'Revelate' and 'Fitzcarraldo', which both are great fusions of guitar riffs, drums, bass and violin.
on 25 July 2005
I first heard of the frames at the witness festival in ireland in 2002 and from hearing the first song i have been in awe of this band ever since - they are amazing and the passion that glen has when performing is astonishing - this album captures that passion and is the reason it is one of my favourite albums. It truely is intense, emotional and will blow you away.
if you are going to do anything spontaneous in your life then buy this album now, even if you have never heard of the frames before . .. you wont be disappointed.
on 8 October 2006
This is one of the best albums I own. Passionate, tender and exhilirating. It was what got me started listening to Frames music, and what started me going to their amazing live shows. If you're new to the Frames, buy this album as opposed to one of the studio albums - their live music is their best.

Absolutely beautiful.