Customer reviews

Word Of Mouth
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 May 2004
The Blueskins have seemed to sneaked up upon us this year. Releasing their Magic Road EP late last year and now following it up with the full debut album 'Word Of Mouth', I find myself writing a review for a band I had hardly heard of. From the start of the album the listener's attention is grabbed by both hands and shaken until the end of the eleventh song.
I think any album that stands out must have an overriding quality that compels the listener to listen again and again, and more importantly differentiate the band from the mass of bands jumping on the wagon. The Blueskins try and achieve this by effectively morphing their style of music through out the album. At the start they sound like a bluesy Rock'n'Roll band with influences being drawn from Rolling Stones and then mixed with the up tempo march of a band like Terrorvision. Through out the album there is a large dose of the Libertines. And then the morph begins, all of the sudden by Love Boat we are dealing with The Coral and The Seahorses with the searing guitar solos in songs like Girl.
A fairly large range has been covered by the Blueskins, and dare I say it, a large enough range to guarantee they capture the largest listening audience possible. Sometimes it can seem like it is a desperate attempt to find a fan base, but in this case I think it is a clever marketing ploy. A new band needs a grounding and to produce an album that reflects the current popularity of bands like the Coral and Jet is a means to become a Face in the crowd.
Standout tracks are Bad Day, Girl, Love Boat and Magpie Blues.
There is a large part of originality with the album, I didn't feel ripped off as I did with the Cribs last year. I hope to see a lot more of these guys and am looking forward to seeing them live some point soon.
*** Like The Coral, The Seahorses, The Rolling Stones, Jet ***
on 4 June 2004
Do yourself an almighty favour and get this album pronto, it's quite simply one of the best I've heard so far this year. Mixing elements of blues and 70's style rock swagger, it's extremely catchy from start to finish. Great tunes, loud guitars,slide playing,psychedelic keyboard fadeouts, it's got the lot and you'll keep going back to it again and again. With so many hotly tipped British bands emerging, it's becoming increasingly more difficult knowing whose stuff to take a chance on. I took a chance on plumping for this album, and it's paid off big time.All I can add is that I'm glad I've found this, and if you take the chance you certainly won't regret it. The Blueskins rock!!
on 11 November 2006
I saw the Blueskins a couple of years back in Islington and they were superb live, I would urge anyone to see them if you get the chance as they still seem to be playing pretty tiny venues. The album is a rough blues/rock sound not too disimilar to White Stripes/Yeah Yeah Yeahs though such comparisons are a bit unfair. Signed to the ultra cool Domino label [ home of Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand] this band takes up a high octane place within that roster. The album zips along, faves of my are 'Girl', 'Ellie Meadows' and 'Tell me i'm someone'. The opening 3 tracks are powerful and even if the quality sags a bit in the middle, full credit to the band for playing to their strengths. A new album soon perhaps?, in the meantime catch them live!.
on 4 August 2007
I have seen them live several times recently.. they are fantastic.. if you get the chance ever.. go and see them.. they're really nice guys too :)
on 9 March 2016
Requested by my stepson for his birthday, so haven't heard it. Assume it's fine, as he was pleased and have had no complaints!, He knows his music and only asks for things he likes!
on 27 April 2004
Having heard the previous singles user friendly and change my mind, idecided to purchase the album. it contains 11 quality songs even if somedo sound samey there is potential in this band, they should go on tobetter things in the future