Customer reviews

on 15 January 2015
Good item.
on 18 July 2014
I bought this from zoverstocks who sent it very quickly. It is a great record and I am so pleased to get it. A great song.
on 16 March 2004
WOW It so rare that all the tracks on a single are all as brilliant as each other. The only other single I own that does this is "you got it bad" by Ocean Colour Scene.
I have been playing this every day since it popped through my door. If the album has more of this, I can't wait.
A mini masterpiece. :-)
6 people found this helpful
on 6 March 2004
Bought this single solely on the recommendations of friends and was pleasantly surprised. The first time I heard it I wasn't particularly impressed but the more you listen the more you start to see how Keane stands out from the other drivel you hear nowadays. B-side Snowed Under is possibly even better than the single Somewhere Only We Know itself - beautiful guitar/piano driven song with great soaring confident vocals. It's a lovely day indeed!
6 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2004
I first heard Keane whilst listening to Jo Whiley late last year. That was the time they released This Is The Last Time (which I can safely say is even better then SOWK) since then I've seen them live twice and managed to get hold of every song they've ever released.
Somewhere Only We Know is uplifting, inspiring, soaring and wonderful. It was brilliant that they made it into number 3 with this song but to do so against Mark & Sam shows just how wrong the top 40 is these days.
It's easy to knock Keane. They're not cool or cutting edge and yes, their are comparisons to be had with Coldplay, Travis or even Tears for Fears. However Keane's music is more melodic, inspiring, tunefilled then any of these acts. They just write fine pop songs and I can promise you all that there debut album will not disappoint.
17 people found this helpful
on 5 February 2004
accidentally heard this whilst surfing through the desert of bland and tuneless 'music' currently monopolising mainstream popular radio channels. Reminds me of such ethereal haunting classics as The First Picture of You by The Lotus Eaters - very English, very melodic, very soft-hearted.
Then a day later I again accidentally heard the B-side - Snowed Under. Another great track - a great pop song in its own right.
Never heard of Keane before, but if these two songs are an indication of their wider repertoire, then the album should be a classic.
11 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2004
Having just read not one, but two damning reviews by the same person, I felt I had to ask the question above! In my opinion, Keane are nothing like Coldplay - I do love Coldplay but to my knowledge, they don't have a monopoly on pianos! Keane do their own thing - and do it wonderfully. The magic is in the vocals and the lush string arrangements as much as the piano.
I was eagerly awaiting the release of Somewhere Only We Know, but it was the B-sides that really astounded me. Snowed Under could be a single in its own right, Walnut Tree would make a fantastic album closer - and if these songs aren't deemed good enough for the album, well Keane have obviously got extremely high standards...!
I can't say with authority whether Keane's music is groundbreaking or not, but if it sounds this beautiful and life-affirming, frankly I don't mind! I don't think emotion in music should be limited to angst, sadness or misery. It could be just as powerful when it puts a smile on your face (no Coldplay reference intended! :o) and makes you feel happy, just like the second track on this single, declaring "I don't know why I waste my time, getting hung up about the things you say, when I open my eyes and it's a lovely day!"
As for Somewhere Only We Know being repetitive...I guess that has to do with being played to death on the radio, the fate of many wonderful songs (which is one of the reasons I hardly listen to the radio these days). Buy this single and listen to it in the context of the gorgeous B-sides, and it'll make sense. Listen to Keane's first two singles, Everybody's Changing and This Is The Last Time, or the live tracks on the band's website and I reckon you won't be able to resist. The album cannot come soon enough!
Tom Chaplin's voice is pure and full of emotion, and works brilliantly on these simple, beautiful songs. Keane are young and enthusiastic - comparisons with the jaded and the weary are not the point. We all need to forget about our troubles and let ourselves be enchanted sometimes.
27 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2004
Really soaring selection from Keane, who I first heard through Jo Whiley's show in the summer. The title track is great, but the 'b-sides' are also superb - with very impressive vocals and the songs benefitting from the deliberate lack of jangly guitars. Reminds me very much vocally of Puressence - a band who never made the impact they deserved. Hopefully Keane will continue this form into their debut album. If the b-sides are anything to go by then what they have left on the album must be brilliant.
2 people found this helpful
on 29 September 2005
This must be one of the most wonderfully uplifting songs around, and it never fails to raise my spirits! It also one of the few songs that can stand repeat playing these days. A rarity!
One person found this helpful
on 15 February 2004
This is THE greatest song ever written. Hook,line and sinker there can not be any song that comes near;lyrically perfect, vocally perfect, instrumentally perfect, atmospherically perfect. If you are not moved to pieces by this music then you have no emotion left in your soul. The most uplifting, scream for joy, stick two fingers up at all the bad things happening in the world song of the twentieth, twenty first and probably the twenty second century. Buy and love.