Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£4.31+ £1.26 shipping

VINE VOICEon 28 July 2006
I wasn't even aware this album existed. I bought Virginia Creeper when that came out and thought it was good - a lot more mellow than the Grant Lee Buffalo output but better than Mobilize which I found to be a real disappointment. But when I came onto Amazon to order NineteenEighties I saw this had been out for a while.

This is Grant Lee Phillips at his best. Recorded in 1999 it has the same sort of melodic quality of, say, Mighty Joe Moon, but maybe a bit gentler, a little bit more sparse. Don't be put off by the fact this was recorded in his basement though, the production quality isn't at all rough, it sounds like a fully fledged acoustic release. NineteenEighties is good, as is Virginia Creeper, but this is by far the best of his solo output.
on 19 March 2004
I bought Ladies Love Oracle and Mobilize at the same time but wanted to listen to them in chronological order to appreciate the journey of the artist.
At first listen there were only three tracks that really grabbed me; Squint, Flaming Shoe and St Expedite. The others washed over me in an acoustic quietness that was a little too quiet.
However after a few more listens the other track grew on me, some more than others; Lazily Drowning, Sleepless Lake.
I'd recommend this album to fans of Grant Lee Phillips but recommend Mobilize to anyone.