Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 June 2017
I have heard that HC Jr can be a good singer at times. However, on this CD he did all his own arranging, orchestrating, conducting and singing which has resulted in a collection of fine songs being sung so boringly slowly over some really aweful arrangements that you could be forgiven for nodding off at any minute.. (just listen to the crass instrumental opening of 'For Once In My Life' and you''ll know what I mean - but then again perhaps don't listen to it if you really like music) All this slow slow ballad stuff is supposed to be romantic but it really isn't. Just imagine a romantic night listening to this album and the girl laying back saying 'Come on Harry,get on with it - I've got a bus to catch in five hours time.'
No sorry Harry - not one of your best efforts. Unfortunately I bought this CD in a second hand goods shop for £1 and still I feel I was ripped off.
on 5 November 2015
In 2004 when this CD was released Harry Connick Jr was still regarded as a Frank Sinatra soundalike. Not that he tried to be, it just came out that way. Of the 12 tracks here, probably 9 of them, with little imagination, could have been in the Frank Sinatra catalogue. The other 3, `Only You`, `Save The Last Dance For Me` and `My Prayer`, are all `pop` material, but given the smoochy, night club treatment, which makes them sound refreshing and new.

Overall this is a very good CD, by an artist who in later years was able to become himself, not a copy of a giant of 20th century music. All of these tracks were arranged, orchestrated and conducted by Harr Connick Jr, and his piano playing comes to the fore frequently.
on 22 January 2005
Harry Connick Jnr's voice was made for these songs, which are unashamedly romantic and ideal for mellow nights in or listening whilst eating dinner. Very smooth and relaxing, even the more upbeat songs float along like silky smooth chocolate. Songs about being happy in love - Gorgeous album.
on 22 March 2004
For someone who, for the past fifteen years, has been railing against the popular mantle of "young Sinatra", and doing all he can to disclaim and destroy that moniker, Harry Connick Jr has here made one hell of a Sinatra album. With one blindingly notable difference.
While the current fashion is for some young pretenders to copy Sinatra and his contemporaries, with mixed success to say the least, Harry has gone his own way, as he always does, and done his own arrangements and orchestrations, for a small string and rhythm group, rather than the big band.
The result will not be to everyone's taste. His voice, more Sinatra in tone and phrasing than ever, is gorgeous, clear and easy; there's no problem there. The arrangements now have a very stylised, stripped down, much more jazzy feel, but the rhythm section is a bit ponderous, not to say monotonous. It's a great cure for insomnia.
So I'm very torn. On the one hand these are fine original treatments of some great songs, and you only have to compare "For Once In My Life" here with Michael Buble's version to realise how fine they are. And it could easily have been the album Sinatra never made - In The Wee Small Hours Vol 2?? On the other hand it is just a shade too laid-back and leaden footed for comfort. Still, streets ahead of most of the competition.
on 12 March 2004
I have most of Harry's offerings and this does not disappoint at all. It is however a slower paced bluesy jazz as opposed to his enliving big band arrangements! What you get here is to appreciate the genius and diversity of this man - not many people will arrange, orchestrate and conduct their own album as well as sing on it! It is an album that will not be gathering dust on my CD rack for want of playing!
on 11 April 2015
This is the first purchase I have made of Harry Connick JR, obviously I have heard his voice, in particular at the end of "The God Father" when the credits roll towards the end you hear Harry Connick JR singing a love song and I found it captivating. As this CD is so easy to listen to the first song on the album is "The Very Thought of You", I play it at least two times, I just love it so. I love his voice, to me its on this recording a young Frank Sinatra, but then does not every fan of his say that. The entire album is so relaxing and romantic. Maybe I am too soft but I do find I have to use the tissues somewhat. Please try for yourself, you will enjoy it. Best in a dark room apart from candles, glass (small) of wine, sit back and dream.
on 9 March 2004
You will have a magical time when listening to this CD. It is fab. If you are a romantic or love classic love songs than this is a must have.
on 26 March 2006
Yes thats what I did. I threw the CD out of the car window whilst travelling at 70 MPH. Only hope no one has the misfortune of picking it up and playing it. Why? Because Harry suceeded in murdering every single song. This must rate as one of the worst Cd's I've ever listened to. Its a load of self indulgent drivel conducted, arranged, orchestrated by Harry. Every song is slowed down, no variation.
Contemplating suicide, well don'f listed to this.it will push you over the edge. Even my mother-in-law thought it was dreadful and she an Enya fan!!!!!!
on 26 August 2013
Wow what a voice !
Whilst Michael Buble seems to be the current 'King of Swing' (and nothing wrong with that I might add !)
Let's not forget HC Junior's magnificent influence - fabulous CD !
on 15 March 2013
I really enjoy listening to Harry Connick Jr. He is easy to listen to and has to be on my favourite playlist as I am studying or reading. I don't have a TV so music is often in the background.