Format: DVD|Change

By the shows’ third season the regular cast members of MASH had evolved into a homogenous ensemble who inhabited their characters with a comfortable finesse. During this season the show was honoured with the prestigious Peabody Award, the judges praising the series "for the depth of its humour and the manner in which comedy is used to lift the spirit and, as well, to offer a profound statement on the nature of war."

Season three is memorable in several ways. Harry Morgan makes his first, and Emmy nominated appearance, as a mad general in the opening episode "The General Flipped at Dawn" In "The Consultant," Robert Alda (Alan's father) guest stars as a visiting doctor who cracks under the pressure of operating so close to the front. Many of the cast are given space in which to shine in their own right here, but as ever Alan Alda steals the show (he was awarded a Golden Globe that year) Perhaps the closing of series three is most notable for the fact that it is the last time we see both Colonel Henry Blake and Trapper. The season closer, "Abyssinia Henry" is regarded by many as the finest ever episode, and certainly one of the most poignant. In my view "classic" MASH came to an end here in the same way as "classic" James Bond ended with the departure of Sean Connery. Not to decry the following seasons, which are also well worth purchasing, but the appearance of BJ Hunnicutt and Colonel Potter in series four does change the mood and tone.

On a technical note, there are three discs here, each containing eight episodes. Transfer is good as always - do remember these shows are old! When first aired, MASH was intended to play without a laughter track. The US networks panicked as usual though. Mercifully the BBC insisted on the show being fake laughter free for British audiences. You have the option on all the MASH series DVD’s to switch off the laughter, and I urge you to do so - it's far better for it.

So in summary, a vintage year for MASH, and certainly one that most fans will want to own.
on 17 July 2004
My eagerly awaited parcel of Series 3 arrived and was ripped open and popped straight in the DVD player. Series 3 starts to see more rounded characters emerging, some minor players start to step more into the limelight, especially Klinger and Father Mulcahy. This is the series where we lose Henry Blake and by the beginning of Series 4 we find we have also lost Trapper John. But fear not, Mash goes on from strength to strength despite these losses. The story lines start to improve and the performances improve along with them. The final episode is so well done and a real-tearjerker. As with Series 1 and 2, there is not much in the way of special features, but the best feature of all is the ability to turn of the dreaded canned laughter!
I really like MASH, I've enjoyed series 1 & 2 so it was time for series 3. It was always one of my favourites when it was originally shown, and since it isn't on endless repeats on one of the TV channels I have access to, I decided to buy it. It's great to have something quality to watch instead of the junk that seems to pass for TV entertainment these days.

One of the things I noticed watching these early episodes is how much I preferred McLean Stevenson (Henry Blake) to Harry Morgan (Sherman Potter) as the commanding officer. Unfortunately he was only in the first three seasons - along with Wayne Rogers ('Trapper' John MacIntyre).

Although it's mostly light-hearted, and frequently funny, it is also a commentary on war and consequently has darker, more thoughtful episodes. It's nothing like M*A*S*H the film - which I actually prefer because the film is much closer to the mood of the book (on which film and TV series are based). But viewed without reference to either book or film it's a great series and I'll eventually have the full set.
VINE VOICEon 5 May 2012
Great videos. I still enjoy watching these programmes all these years after seeing them on TV. The quick fire humour has never been surpassed. Excellent stuff, it just gets better as the series progresses.
on 25 May 2004
This season of Mash is great, like the first two.
I saw Mash for the first time when staying with my friend in Prague a few weeks ago. So this was the first time I have seen this season, and I'm hooked!
I think the best episode is Adam's Ribs, where Hawkeye orders ribs from Chicago.
I think Mash is something everyone can enjoy, and its well worth buying.
I can't wait till the next season comes out, I haven't seen any of it and I hope its just as good
on 17 June 2012
I purchased the complete box set 1-11 plus the film.

I found all eleven series really briliant but I did miss Radar in the later episodes.

The film on the other hand was very disapointing, the 'non-mash' actors in the film were quite lifeless compared to the cast in the series.

If you get this set I would suggest you watch the film first before the characters get impressed on your memory. The film is in the last box with series eleven and the special discs.

I am not a great fan of American series but when those Yanks do make a good program then they can be really great entertainment.
on 19 August 2013
We love M.A.S.H. series, and it was a present for my wife. She loved it, and we've wathced it two times already. I can recommend it to everyone. The shipping was fast and efficient, thx amazon.
on 3 March 2015
Was funny and as poignant as when we first viewed them years ago. We watch an episode as we use our exercise machines! The DVD arrived very quickly Wonderful. Thank you.
on 30 December 2013
And I fully intend to collect them all. This one is great, excellent condition and quick service. These days we can all use a guaranteed laugh.
on 9 March 2014
You cannot fault Mash, Alan Alda's masterpiece, and I would recommend it to anyone who had forgotten this great series