Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 January 2001
Atomic Rooster never quite made it into the first rank. This is their most coherent album and deserves to be much better known. Think Black Sabbath's first album and then forget it. This is less ponderous and creepy (despite the title). We've got Vincent Crane, keyboards; John Cann, guitar and vocals; Paul Hammond, drums. Death Walks Behind You: initially a lot of atmosphere, but then tedious. The masterpiece that wasn't. VUG: good instrumental, gets better. Tomorrow Night: totally original classic. Crane's hesitation on the brief piano intro is inspired. Great organ solo. Puts (or should put) A.R. into the history books. As a single, made it high into U.K. charts. Seven Streets: intense, frantic, frustrated. Sleeping For Years: nothing to it but a perfect simple riff. Hammond's bass drum funks it up. Guitar solo a big let-down ('Maybe I'll do a bit of this. Now I'll try a bit of that.'). I Can't Take No More: great, hard-driving rock. Paul Hammond inspired by ghosts of departed Apaches. Well-measured, considered solo from John Cann at the end -- unfortunately cut short. Nobody Else: strange ballad for A.R. John Cann does some uncharacteristic melodic guitar on this -- usually seems to be strangling his instrument. Gershatzer: instrumental with drum solo. Yes, I know, but this is different: Hammond's not as fast, maybe, as Carl Palmer (A.R.'s previous drummer), but is this stop-start and funky bass drum stuff really possible?
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 6 September 2014
I'm tempted to just type 'Wow!' and leave it at that. But there's more to say, so I will.
The late 60s/early 70s was a rich era for experimental - or "prog" - rock, often with a bluesy feel to it. Cream, Free, Creedence... Then there were other bands that sounded unlike virtually anyone else, and that's where Atomic Rooster come in. The late Vincent Crane's baby (he'd provided the keyboards for Arthur Brown, whose LP was also like nothing else around at the time) Rooster combined an almost Gothic sensibility to a more orthodox rock sound. They went through various personnel changes, but the trio you hear on this near-masterpiece are as good as it gets.
If I had to compare them to any other band of the period, I'd say they resembled a less portentous Spooky Tooth.
This superbly remastered reissue with extra tracks, as well as a truly wonderful booklet with exemplary text by rock journo Colin Harper (which includes valuable, insightful quotes from onetime Rooster roadie Donal Gallagher, Rory's brother), is the bee's knees, the dog's bollocks, and quite simply one of the most exciting rock albums of its time.
Has it dated? Hardly at all.
What strikes me most is the stunning expertise of the musicians. Carl Palmer had left, but in Paul Hammond (died at the age of forty in 1992) they had a thrilling drummer the equal of any Bonham, Moon, or indeed Palmer, who thrashes and blasts his way through these songs like there's no tomorrow. It's knife-edge stuff.
John Cann (aka Du Cann, who died at 65 in 2011) is just as impressive a guitarist, and was no mean singer either. And as for Crane himself, his organ playing is a revelation. Far from the virtuosic but ultimately trite flamboyance of a Wakeman or an Emerson (and the booklet notes tell you exactly what Crane thought of the latter) he creates a kind of cathedral-like texture to the songs, adding flourishes where necessary.
Crane's early death, after long periods of depression, is very sad. Here's a fine musician who could only have gone on to ever greater things.
But we have a few Rooster albums, and this is perhaps the best of them. Played at a healthily loud volume, this music is overwhelming. Not every track is a great song, but each song is a great track.
The extras include a couple of songs recorded at radio sessions, a B-Side, and two versions of their earlier hit The Devil's Answer. All most welcome.
Enjoying moderate success at the time, the band should have been bigger. I only wish I'd caught them live. (Of course, it's possible I did and have forgotten about it - I saw so many bands back then, and don't always remember exactly who I did see!)
Atomic Rooster had a sound and a feel all their own, and this is a precious reminder of one of the finest bands of the seventies.
Definitely something to crow about.

Hugely recommended.
on 27 April 2014
I recall seeing Atomic Rooster on Top of the Pops performing "Tomorrow Night", doubtless with Pan's People providing much distraction to a randy teenager like I then was!
I remember both this track and "The Devil's Answer" having an impact upon me.
Being into Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, and such like, the music of this band was no great deviation from my "norm".
But, to my loss, I never bought this album on vinyl (in those halcyon days)until now on CD, as I approach my late 50's.
Excellent, I am so glad I have now listened to everthing this album offers.
Stand out tracks for me, apart from "Tomorrow Night" are:
Death walks behind you: Haunting, dark, brooding start leads in to a great, rocking track.
Seven lonely streets: Starts with a church organ/bass line, becoming a great, heavy, masterpiece.
Sleeping for years: Up there with Seven lonely streets, heavy, with great drumming and vocals, and a wonderfully dark riff.
Nobody else: Odd vocal start, then piano leading in to guitar then vocal, this track is lively, funky with great guitar playing.
Gershatzer: Classic instrumental. Cutting edge, sounds a little like ELP at times, with a heavy interlude on keyboards.
The bonus tracks are very good too, with "Play the game" as a stand out, and superb versions of "Tomorrow Night" and "Devil's Answer".
All said and done, 5 stars without a doubt!
on 9 August 2017
Another classic album by a classic band, I have them all and this is no exception, it is up there, Vincent leads the way again. Good remaster and nice package.
on 3 August 2017
Very quick service, and probably the best LP Atomic Rooster have made. If you like Atomic Rooster just buy this you will not be disappointed.
on 20 March 2017
I love it
on 12 January 2012
Vincent Crane was the only consistant member of Atomic Rooster as he owned the rights to the name, this was their second album and it really didn't get any better than this one, it's well written, well arranged good sounding album which sounds good today 40 odd years later as it did in the early 1970's and even spawned a top ten single Tomorrow Night. Whether you want to call it Progressive Rock, Classic Rock or just Rock it holds its own with other albums around that time such as Jethro Tull's Aqualung, Supertramp's Crime Of The Century, Groundhog's Split, Deep Purple's In Rock, King Crimson's In The Court Of..,Pink Fairie's Oblivion, Stray's Suicide, Caravan's Land Of Grey & Pink, Budgie's Debut, Black Sabbath's debut,Gentle Giant's Octopus and Uriah Heep's Salsbury, I could go on, but you get the general idea. Sadly they've all passed away now , the last being John Cann in September 2011 of a suspected heart attack aged 66. These really were iconic albums of the time and still stand the test of time today in 2012 and I hope in a 100 years to come when I'm long gone. The members of Atomic Rooster Vincent Crane, John Cann and Paul Hammond can be rightly proud that they have left something they can be justly proud of.
on 12 June 2005
I cannot begin to explain the effect that hearing this felt like.Going back 30 years in time to my mis-spent youth but somehow still being very much in the present day.It blew my mind away and the cobwebs too.
I lost my vinyl- still had the sleeve.In my subconscious, I needed to hear it again so the memories would come flooding back.
Driving along with my impressionable 16 year old son, playing Atomic Rooster was unbelievable. How would he respond to it, I tentatively wondered? With disdain perhaps?
Thankfully not. He really enjoyed it and compared it to Maroon 5.He asked me to play it again.What better accolade could you get from the youth of today........
How come the re release in 2004?- chance or something more than a coincidence?
Favourite track- I love them all but love the build up to 'Sleeping For Years'
Go on, treat yourself to this gem of rock history.
on 23 June 2009
I saw Atomic Rooster live twice in 1970. Firstly with the Crane/Palmer/DuCann(Cann) line up and then the Crane/Parnell/DuCann temporary three piece. They were playing a mix of tracks from the first and the upcoming album (Death Walks....). Ric Parnell being replaced by Paul Hammond prior to recording. Death Walks Behind You as the title suggests is a dark voyage but full of terrific and at times aggressive rock. This was Roosters high point. Every track from the brooding opening track onwards stick in your head. Nothing they did later has the creative spark that this album has. After this DuCann was dumped from the line up (although he does appear on the third album where Pete French's mockney vocals don't do it for me)
So buy this album if you only want one Rooster CD.
on 7 February 2009
Firct heard this when I was 14! That was 39 years ago!!!

I have had two copies of it since and no I own it on CD too. It is great stuff. Vincent Crane is a brilliant keyboard player who also sang and played "one handed" bass guitar too, yes really! That was in a live enviroment as well! He went on to play in Dexy's Midnight hash though, and sadly died in 2004ish.

I love this album, you will too.... No, you WILL love it too!