on 25 May 2015
I'd been eyeing up this boxset for a while. To say I was satisfied upon viewing would be near to understatement of the century. Fitzcarraldo is a unique masterpiece. However, the first 3 films on this set (Aguirre, Nosferatu, and Woyzech) had such a profound effect on this first time viewer, that the fourth relatively could not be appreciated based purely on its own merits. The expectation was simply too high by that point. Masterpieces those three, and, all quite different. One trick ponies the Herzog/Kinski collaborations were not. A true dream team those two. Chemistry that will perhaps never be matched. These films, are not for everyone. But if you 'get' Herzog's style of humour, these are a rich goldmine of atmosphere, intellect, intensity, humour, nihilism, hope.. I could continue the adjectives, but instead, I'll just say it's my favourite boxset, and by quite a margin.
on 4 March 2004
I've been waiting a long time for this set, a very long time. Witness the vision of Herzog and the egomania and fearlessness of Klaus Kinski, a man who claimed to have burst a boil in his own throat with a butcher’s knife. During the filming of Fitzcarraldo the natives offered to kill him if the director wanted it. Their collaborations are pure genius, check out the opening scenes of Aguirre, probably the most stunning views of Peru set on film.
on 15 July 2016
This Boxset is an must have for every Kinski Fans!
All this movies wrote Cinema History.
Aguirre,the Wrath of God,Woyzeck,Nosferatu,the Vampyre,Fitzcarraldo and last Cobra Verde plays by the energetic and great legendary actor Klaus Kinski!
on 22 June 2011
i partially ordered this box set as german revision, and it was cool for that, i mean, the films are in german, but outside of that, i was really very impressed with the films themselves. i think the fact that they're always sold as art films puts a lot of people off, which they are, they're definitely artistically special for me, but that, i don't think, since both of my parents found different films enjoyable outside of artistic merit, is the everything for which one could watch the films; klaus kinski, despite being something of a maniac, i've been led to believe by 'My Best Fiend' (part of the box set: a documentary herzog made about kinski), is an incredible actor, and the stories in the films are genuinely absorbing at times. i do think, though, that the artistic nature of the films was what drew me originally, and that's likely what i'll take away, and if that's what you're into, at times, in my opinion, it's not slow and boring enough, but there are shots that are absolutely transcendental, for example, in the first few minutes of 'Aguirre, The Wrath Of God', there's a shot of mountains with people walking over them (a paltry description, it really needs to be seen) that is just gorgeous, and if that's what you're after, all five films are brimming with that sort of thing, and while i may remain more partial to other more purely artistic film-makers, these films are definitely worth watching, either for art's sake or not, and i'm really into all of them.
In this fine DVD set we are in the presence of genius, Herzog the director and Kinski the actor.

Kinski projects onto the screen his own manic personality and tortured relationship with Herzog, he is simply unforgettable.

But Herzog fascinates me far more. Nosferatu and Woyzeck are superb dramatic films, it is the other three that leave me with the question what is the point of his films?

The main plot elements seem to be the combination of exploration and exploitation. In Aguirre it is the conquistadors stealing Inca gold, in Fitzcarraldo it is exploiting the native Indians for their rubber, in Cobra Verde the slave trade. These are pretty grim plots, but shot in locations of haunting natural beauty and superb cinematography. To a degree the locations dominate the films overshadowing the action and giving them a documentary character.

Strangely Herzog seems to underplay tension, an excellent example in Fitzcarraldo is when the boat is out of control in rapids we just see the boat spinning around, no scenes of frantic activity to try and correct the situation. We admire everything but are never involved.

I watch the films fascinated, but apart from Nosferatu and Woyzeck I afterwards feel let down as the stories are so broadly conceived and a niggling feeling this is art for its own sake.
on 27 April 2012
This is a great collection of Herzog movies, no doubt about that. The picture quality is absolutely horrible though. I have two tv's, a LED and LCD and both give me a second-hand VHS-like quality no matter what kind of tweaks I do. I hope they get a blu-ray release soon.
on 23 May 2012
Let me get right to the point: This DVD Box is essential to any serious DVD collection.

The mastermind Werner Herzog and the outstanding (yet highly irritable) Klaus Kinski have worked together on these classic movies which are a part of movie history - and they were sometimes close to killing each other while doing it (which is explained in detail by the aging Werner Herzog in the documentary "My Best Fiend / Mein liebster Feind" - this DVD alone is worth the price of the whole box-set!).

As for rating the movies, I will rate with a maximum of 5 points:

Nosferatu 4/5
Fitzcarradlo 4/5
Cobra Verde 3/5
Woyzeck 3/5
Aguirre 4/5

I think enough has been said about these movies in the other reviews, so again I can only highly recommend to buy this box-set. At the current price of 17 GBP, it's a steal!
on 1 March 2014
The films are excellent of course, but the quality of these DVDs is poor. For example the brighter parts are blown out as if recorded by a poor quality digital sensor with terrible dynamic range.

Plus there are significant audio syncing issues.

It's worse than amateur
on 6 November 2011
I first came across Werner Hertzog when I watched his film 'Nosferatu' all those years ago. I was completely smitten. It was atmospheric and quite erotic in a purely cinematic fashion and not in a sordid and tacky way. You began to feel closer to the disaffected 'Nosferatu' more so than to his victims. His love was so poignant and it was a sort of thinking man's 'Phantom of the Opera'. Of course, the soundtrack by the German electronic band, Popul Vuh served to make the film an all round masterpiece. I am not surprised to see that early memorabilia relating to the film is fetching a good price at auction sites.

Margaret.
on 29 June 2013
I was requested to buy this as a gift for my brother who couldn't wait to own it! He would recommend it to like minded people!