Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 May 2004
Having loved Paddy's debut album 5 years ago, I couldn't wait for Living. To me, it captures the laid back, poetic Irish singer-songwriter vibe whilst being upbeat and happy. True, some of the raw edge of the more accoustic earlier album is lost and that is a shame but I doubt that we have seen the last of Paddy's wonderous writing and his live set only confirms what a soulful artist he is. The songs are really short though! 'Bend Down Low' is the highlight for me...the album is full of songs to project your mood on and will in no way disappoint someone looking for a good all-round treat. Pop, accoustic, soul..its all there.
on 21 January 2004
At first i was a bit skeptical about Paddy Casey but some of my friends persuaded me to buy his cd, Living and i was very surprised by what i found, a truly brilliant album. There are a few dodgy songs alright but there are some superb one in "Lucky One", "Anyone Thats Yet To Come" "Saints And Sinners" and "Self Serving Society" amongst others. Overall i would definitly reccommend this especially to those who lean towards Damien Rice the Frames et al.
on 6 December 2004
excellent album, still havnt got tired of it a year later. anyone thats yet to come, mellow, beautiful, touching lyrics. lyrics are amazing in all his songs, in particular bend down low. the only bad point is the song miracle - gets EXTREMELY irritating after a while,also some of the songs are too short, other than that rest of the album is fantastic! bar miracle, its one of those albums you can listen to on repeat for months on end and the songs still sound brilliant every time you listen.
on 24 January 2005
This is one of the best albums you will ever buy, covers the full spectrum of music. I read another review of this where someone has berated the album, but reading on they were moaning that it had been a mistake to wait 5 years as most people won't wait 5 years for a follow up, what on earth do they mean ?!!!!(his first album was released 1999, this one originally 2003 so their maths is not so great too) They obviously don't like music for being music, just for the fashion at the time, who would be bothered that there was such a gap between albums, they are both fantastic !!!
on 7 May 2004
Like an earlier reviewer, I heard Saints and Sinners on the radio and loved it but I couldn't find a copy of that single in the usual shops. I finally decided to buy the album on Amazon, received it two days ago and love it! The songs are all quite different and I can honestly say that, whilst I obviously have tracks I prefer, I don't think any of them have that 'filler track' feel. True, some of them are commercial - i.e catchy and easily accessible - but surely that's not necessarily a bad thing?? they're still original songs with interesting lyrics with a solid acoustic root. Although I know that Paddy Casey has been around for quite a while, I'd never heard of him before and now I can't help having that 'just discovered a really good secret' kind of feeling!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 September 2015
Although largely low-key and unfairly unheard, Irish singer-songwriter Paddy Casey is a real talent. 'Living', his second album, released in 2001, is a mostly pleasant collection of breezy and tuneful songs, which combine traditional folk with acoustic rock and soul music. If you were to think of Paddy as a cross between John Mayer and David Grey, I don't think you would be far off the mark. If there was any justice, he would have become a star.

The first few tracks are excellent, the lovely and gentle 'Livin'' and the more upbeat ''The Lucky One', along with 'Promised Land', a reggae flavoured song which comes a little later, really are the highlights. If only the rest of the material was as good as those, I would have rated 'Living' five stars, but unfortunately there is some filler, and a few experimental tracks which just don't work, namely 'Don't Need Anyone', a dire song complete with the most irritating synth voice sound, and 'Miracle', an okay song to dance too, but it soon becomes tiresome after a couple of listens.

I recommend 'Living' for lovers of laid-back music, and the sound of a talented male musician. When it's good on this album, it's very good, but when it isn't, it's just instantly forgettable.
on 21 October 2005
This is one of the best albums I have ever bought. There isn't one track on the whole album which you will need to skip past (as is usually the case with most albums!!) All the songs are quite different from each other both musically and lyrically. Some catchy and upbeat, some melancholy. My personal faves are Saints and Sinners and Anyone Yet to Come.... but all the tracks are fab. Buy this album and get Paddy Casey where he should be in the UK... at the top of the album chart! You won't be disappointed. James Blunt is cool but Paddy Casey beats him hands down!
on 26 March 2004
As a relative newcomer to Paddy Caseys music,, I was blown away by this collection of songs. Having read another review about this album I had to defend the mans music. Who cares if he waited 5 years to follow up his debut? All he owes his fans is an honest record, which he has delivered. The songs are confident and thought provoking, often poignent. Some of the melodies are just instinctively catchy and instantly memorable. You'll be humming these songs all day at work, believe me. This is a record that will make you feel good and just gets better with every play.
on 19 March 2004
I'd never heard of Paddy Casey before last week, when I turned on the radio in the middle of a song that really grabbed me. When the DJ said the song was Saints and Sinners by Paddy Casey I made a mental note to check him out on Amazon and ended up buying this album. I wasn't disappointed.
The first three songs in particular have you singing along at the top of your voice...it's a real feel good, positive album - pretty unusual these days! Another reviewer compared him to Damian Rice. I love Damien Rice too...but he does tend towards the melancholy - nothing wrong with that...I listen to loads of down beat stuff but it is nice, just for a change, to listen to something that lifts your mood.
VINE VOICEon 10 October 2007
I got this at the same time as James Blunts first album. Guess which one I still listen to today. Yep, Paddy Casey. Living is a really nice album with most of the tracks being very enjoyable. Want it Can't Have it, Stumble and Miracle are excellent tracks and form the backbone to this super album. Paddy Casey appears destined to be enjoyed by the minority in this country which is a shame as his singing/songwriting deserves much more. Well worth adding to the collection.