Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 November 2004
Sadly I just don't get it. Every song sounds the same. To be honest this album is just all too predictable, boring and ...yes plain dull. Original you are joking. A bit of Radiohead a lot of Suede and a large dose of post punk Brit Pop thrash. Listening to this truly was painful. Inane lyrics and a screeching sound to put your teeth on edge. To me yet another case of hype overpowering any sense of musical judgement. Everyone to their own I guess. I haven't seen them live and that's the acid test. Perhaps I am getting old and cynical but I think a decent tune or melody is a useful ingredient in a song!! Nope, I just don't get it.
on 21 February 2004
When I 'just bought this album, and i listened to it for the first time, I didn't think it was very good. But after listening to it a couple of times, it was just great.
I love it, and i would, as an advice to other people:
Don't be disapointed when you hear it for the first time; just keep on listening to it, and you WILL fall in love with this album.
Goodie
on 12 March 2004
after hearing take me out, i was always gonna buy this album, when i did, i was disappointed.
i was told by a friend it takes a few listens to get into, iv tried about 10 times and still aint the biggest fan of it. there are a few catchytunes (jacqueline, and dark of the matinee) but other than that this album is nothing special, and is quite a let-down considering the brilliance of 'take-me-out'
if, despite this, you are still interested, i'd at least wait to hear a bit more from the album before buying it.
on 22 January 2004
Everyone's either a lover or a hater of hype and your opinion can be greatly swayed by the first listen to the band. I wasn't keen on their current single but my friend played it to me a couple times and I'm totally behind them now.
The songs go along the same lines of many rock bands but why change it if it aint broke? I love this band and can see them becoming a household name soon.
Get behind them!
on 17 May 2004
Fantastic album, it keeps getting better and better each time you hear it! Definitely a band to keep an eye on.
on 19 February 2004
Take me out is one of the best new singles of the year, and has set an excellent standard to follow for all the other artists. However, it was the only track on this album I truly enjoyed listening to. I feel the rest of the album is very different to 'Take me out'. Perhaps it is my taste, but I think the single isn't worth the rest of the album. It is a very convincing 1980s style, and is possibly one for people who like that sort of music. However, I grew up in the 1990s and so it isn't really for me. Take me out is one for everyone though!
on 7 December 2004
Franz Ferdinand were a band that i believed the hype the first single 'Take me out' impressed me with its fantastic structure and original feel. However the album was a massive disapointment. Songs that seemed to be rushed, under written and pointless equaled an album of nothing. the hype was wrong. Franz Ferdinand are a band that will not be around for long as they will undoubtably release a second album as quick as possible to capitolise on the buzz around them that will be another let down, meaning that bargain basement cd collections will be full of copies. If i offend people i am sorry but bands that deserve the chart success of Franz Ferdinand such as the Killers who seem to be covered by the shadow of them are a far saver bet then this band of jokers.
on 11 March 2005
As my title implies, this is one of those albums where you listen to, and have to listen to again and again to believe HOW GOOD IT IS!!! The track list is:
1. Jacqueline (Great)
2. Tell Her Tonight (Catchy but short)
3. Take Me Out (The best on the album!)
4. The Dark Of The Matinee (A great song!)
5. Auf Achse (The worst on the album, but still good!)
6. Cheating On You (Another one that's 'great but too short')
7. This Fire (One of the album's best)
8. Darts Of Pleasure (Can't get the tune out of my head!)
9. Michael (Definetly worthy of second best!)
10. Come On Home (Good, but not catchy enough!)
11. 40' (This one sticks in my mind!)
So, this has no reason not to be your new favourite band. Can't wait for their next album!
My rating: 97%
on 9 February 2004
All you need is reasonably heavy XFM airplay, Virgin Radio to steal XFM's playlist of popular songs, the Bizarre column in the Sun to namedrop them and look, they have a top 3 single and an album that's only behind Norah Jones in the sales charts. I'm sure this will be good but let's not get carried away (like The Darkness).
on 18 December 2004
I am not sure what there is about this album to like. It is from start to finish dull, lifeless dross that never really starts and it is painful to wait for it's final end.
This is another example when winning the Mercury music prize suddenly makes something good. It doesn't.