Customer reviews

Tenor Arias
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 September 2012
I came to Joseph Calleja through his Maltese Tenor album which I enjoyed very much. It was not until his newest album in tribute to Mario Lanza, that I came back to listen to him again. At the time of this recording his voice was already of such a high standard and an indication of the great things to come (provided he looks after his voice)

Perhaps you recently saw him on the last night of the Proms and are looking for a good album of Calleja's to listen to. You will not be disappointed with this one although I would recommend buying all of his current albums as they all offer an insight into a Tenor who not only compares with the best of today's offerings but also reminds me of the greats of the past, Del Monaco in particular.

A great singer with a tremendous talent and a personality to match. I believe he has the potential to be the greatest singer of his generation. Kaufmann is my current favourite but Calleja is so very close and of course Calleja is about 9 or 10 years younger than Kaufmann.
on 17 October 2005
This CD, which I have played repeatedly, more than confirms that here we have a voice that echoes from an age that one thought had passed for ever. Although one is reminded of the younger Pavarotti here and there, the sheer elegance of his voice is more reminiscent of Gigli and Ferruccio Tagliavini, whom I am sure he has also studied, although one senses a strong individuality throughout.
His fast vibrato may sound a little old fashioned on first hearing but he uses it to perfection in the Macbeth and Lucia arias, where it serves to communicate a profound sense of loss and inner grief, nor does it disturb the legato line, for instance in the superb "Quanto e Bella". He can also be extremely nimble, carelessly throwing off his phrases in "Questa o quella" as if to the manner born. Elsewhere one notices a rock steady middle register coupled with a seemingly effortless control of dynamics and skill in phrasing, with a baritonal quality which should develop as he progresses. And all this from a man of only 26, who actually sang Macduff at the tender age of 19!
One can only hope that he will provide us with more recordings over the coming months, perhaps drawing on the operas of Bellini, Donizetti and Massanet, where his voice truly belongs. Dare one hope also for the songs of Tosti, Bellini and Donizetti?
on 24 February 2014
I love this CD which is full of great tenor arias, sung with real feeling and by a tenor with a truly beautiful voice. I could start writing in more detail, but for me the most important question I always ask myself is "does it move me and will I want to listen to it again?" It does both for me, as I believe it will if you enjoy this kind of music.
on 11 September 2013
This man has, quite simply, the most beautiful lyric/dramatic tenor of this or any other generation. The only comparable tenor is the great Jussi Bjorling. A brilliant choice of arias that display his voice wonderfully as an untouchable instrument.
on 10 March 2016
This cd was bought for a gift for my mother who knows her tenors , She says this cd is perfect , A wonderful voice with a good mix of tracks . Enjoy
on 22 November 2015
just love this man's voice.. beautiful selection
on 27 November 2013
This was a birthday present for a friend and she absolutely loves all the tracks on this CD. Highly recommended.
on 16 December 2017
Thanks
on 11 March 2012
Heard one track on the radio and had to have this album, have enjoyed it so much I have already ordered a second of his albums!
on 6 January 2017
Joseph has a voice made in heaven.