Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 October 2016
one disc is slow and the other is great stuff
on 9 February 2004
ive had an advance copy of this cd for over a week now and i must say the more i listen to it the better it gets.In my opinion it is far superior to the last cd "is a woman" which at times almost made me nod off!! but although this one is a wonder full album it pales in comparison to the greatness that is "nixon".... still, a definite 4 stars and its head and shoulders above most of the alt.rock tosh which is out there today.. keep em coming kurt your a genius man!
on 19 February 2004
Another fine album by Kurt and the band. Never gonna win the Brits, these guys, but the songwriting and production on this cd is superb.
I have no idea about their recording technics but it seems as all the sounds are live and the strings are fab.
The only problem I have is, on the one or two tracks the boys go heavy, it doesn't work for me.
I think Kurt's vocals get more like a southern Lou Reed with every album!
on 20 March 2004
Can't make up my mind about this one. Played both cd's all the way through a couple of times but haven't felt the urge to play it often. Think Kurts voice is starting to grate a little & have found the instrumentals more listenable than most of the vocal tracks. Still there are some good tracks here but nothing on a par with 'Up With People'. Shame.
on 9 March 2004
When I first heard about Lambchop it was about an alternative country band releasing a double album, and it was apparently pretty damn good! Interesting, I thought to myself. Indeed, so intrigued was I as to what they might do differently on each album and urged on the value of getting two albums for the price of one, I decided to make it my next purchase.
When I got it home and stuck it in my CD player, all sorts of disappointment washed over me. For a start a large part of it was instrumental, not particularly my thing, but I could deal with it. However, almost every track sounded identical, or at least very similar. Now, in my view, if you're the sort of band that trudge out similar tracks every song, you don't want to be making a double album where no-one would be able to tell one from the other, or even one song from another!!! The vocals are also a let down being almost incomprehensable, as if the vocalist is ashamed to do anything but mutter his lyrics to the floor. Of course, if you're a restaurant proprietor or maybe looking for some backing music to holiday footage this will do great. Indeed, the music is relaxing enough, in a sort of video-game end sequence way, and in this respect Lambchop fulfill their goal. However, if you're expecting any sort of interesting or ambitious album, this is not it, and really does little to excite or interest the listener.
on 29 February 2004
If you like elevator muzak this is for you. If you like a deep soft voice that delivers words like a missfiring Kawasaki and is totally incomprehensible, you'll love it. This is a country record in the loosest of terms. It reminds me of the soft rock instrumental records by the LSO et al that were popular in the early 70's.
If you are one of those who worries "oh! what is that track playing now?", you'll be pleased to know that all the tracks are pretty much the same. So just try to read one from the minute print on the CD sleeve and keep saying it's that one, and it won't matter if you're wrong.
Throughout the 2 CDs I kept saying "y'cmon now and get out of first gear", and they did.... straight into neutral.