VINE VOICEon 15 March 2004
I enjoyed this game. This is an early (1995) graphic adventure from the Lucas Arts team. It played smoothly on Windows XP but without sound. This did not seem to matter as there were subtitles, and it may have even added to the 'retro' feel of the game.
There are loads of good puzzles and these are in keeping with the sci-fi story. The humour is gentle, puzzles not too hard and the pace steady. The 'journey' ended nicely, and gave me a nice warm feeling of achievement!
on 22 June 2004
Its true this is not a great game, as far as games go. There's nothing special about its gameplay, it had dated graphics even for its time and its a simple point and click game, just like the Monkey Island series.
But this is my favorite game of all time nonetheless.
Don't look at it as a game, but more as a way of telling a story. An interactive movie I would call it.
But even the story may not be for everyone. Its about a group of astronauts stranded alone on an alien planet filled with technology and machinery from an alien race that disappeared long ago. Its your job to figure out how all these artifacts work, and find a way back home.
What I love about the game so much isn't the story itself, but the way its told. I've never been more immersed in game before due to its ambience and mood. All provided by the beautiful sound of the wind, the sea and the singing of the alien creatures. But above all, the music. The music in this game might just be the best thing about it. And it contemplates the amazing scenery beautifully.
But I can't really recommend the game, most people I know don't care for it in anyway. Most likely you won't either. But there is always the possibility that there may be someone like me that will love the game.
All I can say is: if you like adventure games and your into stuff like 2001: A space odyssey, I think you should take a chance and buy it.
on 28 April 2004
The story starts with a team of 3 characters going into space toinvestigate an asteroid that is getting dangerously close to Earth. Theteam make an interesting discovery and are transported to a strange,desolate planet. It's your job to investigate the planet and find out howto get them home.
If XP users have a problem with sound, I recommend using VDM Sound orsimilar to play the game, as the Wagnerian music is stunningly eerie.
I found this game very enjoyable: the puzzles are interesting, logical andnot too easy; the graphics are pretty good with plenty of unusual andbeautiful (if not rather quiet) locations; and the voice acting isentertaining. There are some good touches of humour - my favourite beingthe self-referential quip from Commander Low, whose voice is provided byTerminator 2's Robert Patrick, who asks a member of the team "Have youseen this boy?"
If I had one gripe it would be that you're not always sure what you aresupposed to be doing and there are limited characters to pump forinformation (plus they tend to repeat the same things if you haven'tprogressed enough in the game).
However, this game is throughly individual and very compelling.
on 19 January 2007
I just finished playing this game for the first time and enjoyed it greatly (I played it using ScummVM and had no problems). Graphically it has dated, but the story (written in part by Steven Spielberg), the music (Wagner), and the voice acting (Robert Patrick) are all high quality. The puzzles are fairly generic (find the object, trial and error to make the machine work &c.) but that *is* the genre, and the otherworldly atmosphere kept me interested.

It is a classic and certainly a must-play if you love the other Lucasarts point 'n' click adventures.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 January 2014
For anyone of a certain age, they will have fond memories of the point and click adventures.

The Dig is a good story and very entertaining - it's not quite as good as Day of the Tentacle, but great fun anyhow and well worth the price for hours of entertainment. It looks quite dated now, but the content and the puzzles are timeless.

Would be good to see a remake for tablets and phones as they are an ideal platform for this kind of game.

Highly recommended.
on 17 October 2013
I used to watch my brother play it after it came out in the 90s, and years later I kept remembering scenes from it. So I recently bought it, and played it through, and it's a great adventure; where this initially takes you is not what you'd expect.
I'm not particularly good at the technical bits concerning gaming in general, but as far as a LucasArts point-and-click puzzle-solver adventure goes, it is quite stunning as far as scenery goes and rather straight forward concerning the clues and solutions to problems. The dialogue adress some of the bigger "ideals" of the meaning of life and how humans deteriorate as far as humanity is concerned, when they have something to gain, personally. Anypoo, I got side-tracked; if you like adventure point-and-click with smart puzzles, go get "The Dig"!

HOWEVER; I ran the game on Windows XP, and despite attempts at fixing the game, it kept crashing irregularly, usually at times when I entered an area with a pending cut-scene. If you don't figure out how to fix the problem on your computer, then save often.
on 19 October 2011
When I first saw the GameSpot score of 'The Dig' burping at staggering score of 4.5 at me, I could not believe my eyes. I have played through this game a few times and it always entertained me, pulling me into the haunting story set on a distant planet with an intriguing set of characters. But comparing a LucasArts game to LucasArts games in general may be an interesting (and very NERDY thing) to do, but that should not justify the low rating. The Dig does not have: 1. Great atmosphere of Monkey Island, 2. The story of Loom 3. The Coolness of Indy and Sam&Max. Yet still, The Dig has: A Great atmosphere, A great story and is very cool.

I hope you get my drift. It is one of the best classic (!) adventure game around and will satisfy every adventure enthusiast, guaranteed. Period.

The graphics are not ultra crisp but sport the typical love for detail, cut scenes with movielike camera angles and a great, subtly brooding soundtrack that nicely ties in with the games overall storyline and atmosphere.

I rest my case
on 14 November 2014
Classic LucasArts point-and-click adventure. You play as one of astronauts sent to a mysterious asteroid traveling towards Earth. As it turns out, not everything is as it seems and the space journey will lead you to visit multiple fantastic sci-fi places and solve fascinating mysteries. The story is really engrossing!

Retro cartoon graphics can be really enjoyable.

Atmospheric soundtrack by Michael Land is fabulous.

One of my favorite adventure games!
on 11 October 2014
An awesome old school adventure game, a jewel not to be overlooked.
on 16 February 2016
Received in time and works fine on a win 7 and win 8 OS.

See one answered question