Songs About Jane
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 January 2015
It’s a rare occasion that I buy a current chart release. Impulse buying is far less irregular, but because I don’t tend to listen to the radio much, and usually avoid the music channels the play the more modern songs, largely because most of it’s rubbish, even my impulse buying tends to be albums from older acts. By and large, modern music passes me by, apart from the odd new release from a band I follow. Mostly, when I catch what I’ve “missed”, I discover I’m glad to see the back of it.

Having caught a couple of Maroon 5 singles on the music channels, however, I was impressed enough to take a chance on them. This method of buying albums isn’t a new one for me, but it’s one I approach with a lot more caution since having got my fingers burned buying Amy Studt’s debut release. The difference in style between the band’s first two releases, however, persuaded me that they weren’t to be a one-trick pony and the simple pop based sound that under laid both tracks suggested that it was likely to be a decent enough listen, even if the rest of the album wasn’t quite up to the same standard.

In the end, this is a fairly well crafted pop album, but little more than that. There’s an interesting combination of influences and sounds that seems to do more than cloud the issues of what the band wants to be. Having a guitar does not a rock band make, and having a funky edge on occasion doesn’t make them a funk-soul band. There’s no doubt that Maroon 5 are accomplished musicians and fairly decent songwriters, with a level of lyrical subtlety that I suspect a band like Busted would kill for.

This album is attempting to appeal to all sorts of people, but ends up being a jack of all trades, and master of not terribly many of them. It’s a watered down version of nearly everything it tries to emulate, with the possible exception of “This Love”, which tries to be a bouncy pop track and succeeds admirably. I suspect that this is where the future lies if Maroon 5 are to have a decent career, but they’ll need to keep the level of song writing where it is at present, as there are a lot of guitar led pop bands around at the moment and, whilst none of them sound as mature and as intelligent as Maroon 5, a lot of them sound like they’re having more fun and are a lot more consistent.

This is an album for playing in the background when you have other things to do but really want to have music to help you do it. It’s also for those who want something with a little more depth than modern pop music or who listen to bands like Busted but are old enough to know better.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 June 2004
I'd only heard Harder to Breathe and This Love, and for me they stepped slightly too far over the pop line for my liking. I got even more sceptical when my mum begged me to get it off someone, you can understand why. I did however eventually listen to, and I put my hands up, i was greatly mistaken, it is by far one of the best albums out this year.
She Will Be Loved has to be one of the best songs on it. His vocals remind me in some distant way of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. The guitar and piano playing were incredible, they blended in so well together, the whole thing was a music miracle! Shiver, The Sun and Must Get out are the songs that really made this album. And i bow down to the bands producers for allowing them to release such a fantastic album. You can't categorise this kind of music, it's in a league of its own!
on 31 January 2004
Really quality album, prbably more of a 4 and a half star album
Alerted to the band after having seen them support Matchbox 20 at Wembley, I checked out some of their stuff
Then, when i was on holiday in Australia i heard harder to breathe, and i was hooked. I assumed the rest of the album would be similar...I was wrong. Its got quite a jazzy feel to it, especially on the track sunday morning and i understand what reviewers mean when they say theres a bit of a boyband feel to it - however, somehow they can pull it off by keeping some good guitar sounds going on even if the vocals sound like daniel bedingfield...
Regarless of this 'boyband' sound, it is an awesome album. Stand out tracks being harder to breathe, tangled, sunday morning and this love, the guitar on shiver also very cool
Looking forward to their gig in april
on 25 February 2004
I am one of many people who heard 'Harder to Breathe' and, hooked, took the plunge and bought the whole album. Smart move. 'Songs about Jane' is a great record; from the catchy singles, 'Harder to Breathe' and 'This Love' to the achingly heartfelt 'She will be Loved,' it is both a crowd-pleaser and an original, innovative collection of songs.
The autobiographical title is reflected in Adam Levine's lyrics. (Jane is a pseudonym for Levine's ex-girlfriend, though one wonders whether she will remain in the past tense for long once she's heard this album). Levine is honest, bitter, nostalgic and optimistic, and between them his songs provide anyone who's ever been in - and out - of love with something to relate to. The music is difficult to categorise - 'Sunday Morning' is uncannily Jamiroqui-esque, whilst other tracks remind me of anything from U2 to Counting Crows to Stevie Wonder. That said, a lot of the tracks could have been sung by Sugar Ray too. 'Songs about Jane' has elements of jazz, rock, pop, R n B, and just about any other genre you'd care to mention, and it fuses them well.
In general this is a great record - it manages to strike a balance between conveying genuine, raw emotion and avoiding melodramatic overstatements. It's different from anything else in my CD collection, and I look forward to Maroon 5's undoubtedly bright future.
on 29 December 2003
Harder To Breathe attracted to me this album, that along with the reviews...
'They sound like Matchbox 20'
'John Mayer joined them for a track'
'Sound like Santana at times'
It seemed very promising - but the album suprised me.
It was full of backstreet boys like tracks! Don't let that put you off, they are great tracks. This album swings from inspired grooviness (is that a word?) to sweet ballads.
At the end of the first listen I was confused - one minute they sounded EXACTLY like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, then Matchbox, then Santana, then Backstreet. Puzzled? Yes. Thrilled? Yes.
There are no weak tracks on this album, it's fantastic.
on 29 November 2004
Bought this album last December after just hearing one song "This Love"... Have not gone a full week without listening to it since then. The music is different to what's out there yet they manage not to have their album being monotonous in the process. If you haven't got it yet, get it now! Honestly suberb!!
on 23 February 2005
The first song I heard from Maroon 5 was "This Love". Admittedly this song didn't catch my attention too much, but then "She Will Be Loved" was soon released and I loved it. I bought the album a few weeks ago, and have played it constantly since. Looking at my CD collection, "Songs About Jane" looks slightly out of place amongst the rest of the bands I usually listen to, but something about this album just really appeals to me. It's full of sweet love songs that'll put a smile on your face, as well as haunting ballads about and break-ups and the bad patches relationships have to go through. Whatever your mood, this album is an absolute joy to listen to.
Stand out tracks are: "Secret", "The Sun", "Harder to Breathe", "Shiver", "Sweetest Goodbye", "She Will Be Loved"... and those are just a few. I'd recommend this album to everyone.
on 17 July 2004
On first listen Cd this comes across as a lackluctre affair. However, after about my third listen i realised I actually really like this album. Mellow funk, r'n'b infused, rock with distinctive vocals; by the sixth listen it became my most played CD "of the moment"; a few listens later I was buying tickets to see them at Brixton!
Buy and judge for yourself. If the singles are your bag, this album will grow on you!
on 24 November 2003
This is a great album! If you like bands like Matchbox 20 or Train you should buy this - its going to be big!
I bought this album having heard 'Harder to Breather' once on TV, having read reviews and being a MB20 fan I bought it and haven't taken it out of my CD player. The best tracks are 'Harder to breathe' 'Shiver' and 'Sunday Morning'.
Good album!
on 31 August 2004
Slick, sexy, stylish.....I bought this album on the basis of the fabulously addictive 'This Love', and was extremely impressed on listening to the rest of the songs. Ranging from the ruthlessly catchy Harder to Breath, which is reminiscent of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers', to the smoochy almost R&B style of Sweetest Goodbye, this is one album where the tracks don't all merge into one but actually vary in style, whilst still retaining the unmistakably catchy, rocky Maroon 5 sound. You cannot help but be dragged along on a roller coaster ride by the sheer force and emotion of Levine's voice and lyrics. Buy it - it's a corker!