TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 August 2004
Just thought I would update this review as it's been almost four years since I wrote it and since then we've bought one for friends so I can add their comments.

Basically, it's just to say that we both find the machine is as good as I said in the first review. It still slices away daily and works like a dream. Yes, as two people here comment, if the bread is white and still warm, then the loaf sometimes proves to be not quite firm enough to push through the slicer perfectly and a less-than-perfect slice results. But that's on very rare occasions indeed. It is, in every way, worth the money. Breadmakers really ought to come with one free for without one the slicing of home made bread is a pain in the neck!

Here is the original review:

Since buying a Panasonic bread machine a year ago, we have struggled to find a good way to slice the amazing loaves of bread that this machine bakes for us on a daily basis.

Well we've certainly found it now. Having struggled with bread knives, knife sharpeners, and special guides, this Kenwood food slicer is a godsend. We saw a friend using a very old manual version a week or so ago and realised then that this was what we needed. We bought one and it is really very good indeed. For less than £30-00 it really is a snip for what it does. And what it does, it does very well. Despite the slowly revolving blade, you feel entirely safe; the machine just slices away merrily, as thick or thin a round of bread as you need and creates perfect slices everytime at sufficient speed to be very useful. I'm sure it would slice anything else you wanted it too, but so far we've only used it for bread.

There's more... if, like our kitchen, yours is full of gadgets and space is at a premium, fear not. This slicer folds up easily and neatly, taking up very little space on your worktop.
1414 Comments| 287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 22 September 2010
I'm a home breadmaker, I make my bread by hand and, in my view, this device is a much better choice for spending your money than a breadmaking machine. Now that I can reliably make white and brown bread for use at home for less than half the cost of buying an inferior loaf in the supermarket, I needed a way of quickly and consistently slicing the bread so that I could completely replace shop-bought loaves with lovely fresh home-baked bread. This device does the trick nicely.

I like the fact that it folds as this makes storing it in our small kitchen much easier. The blade is easily removed but isn't going to need cleaning much if you're just slicing bread. You put the loaf in the plastic loader, hold two buttons (to keep your fingers away from the blade)and move the loaf forward into the blade to slice. It takes around 30 seconds to a minute for me to slice a whole loaf. The blade itself only turns slowly so there's little danger of hurting yourself if you follow the instructions. As a left hander, I found the device a little unnatural to use as there's no way of turning it round but I got used to it pretty quickly.

No breadmaker should be without one!
on 1 April 2014
Having read the reviews on Amazon I went ahead and bought this machine on the basis of its maker's name. That was my mistake. I assume this piece of kit was built down to a budget in a Chinese factory.

As an engineer, I should have known better at the price, but the wobbly blade runout of over 4mm accompanied by the laboured grinding noises emitted by the crude motor with its plastic direct-drive gearing, dispelled any confidence I might have had in the Kenwood name.

I carefully unpacked the thing and ran it once - for about 5 seconds. Just as well, because a sticker on the rear tells you that 5 minutes is the maximum permitted running time before a rest and cooling-down period. That was enough to convince me that repacking it with equal care and getting it out of my house as soon as possible would be a good option.

This is a shoddy piece of rubbish intended for light use only and unlikely to withstand the rigours of daily use. Avoid.
on 28 April 2017
good
on 17 May 2016
As described & delivered quickly
on 4 December 2006
I am absolutely delighted with my Kenwood Food Slicer. After struggling for ages to cut my home-baked vegetable breads by hand this has been a fantastic addition to my kitchen appliances. I have cut meat successfully as well but find cleaning it a bit of a bind so I tend to use it just for my bread. It's great and I can recommend it for that purpose. Well done Kenwood.
on 4 February 2009
I have a panasonic breadmaker which I can't recommend enough. Lovely bread everytime. The problem I had was cutting the lovely bread! First I tried an electic knife, useless and just tore at the bread. Then I tried the good old fashioned bread knife. Fine for cutting the bread but impossible to cut consistent thin slices. I would only manage to cut 7 or eight slices, some of them absolute doorstoppers! Then I decided to try the Kenwood food slicer. I was worried looking at the other reviews, it seemed half of people liked it and the other half said it was useless but I was desperate to try something that would stop ruining my lovely bread. I have had it a week now and have used it everyday. I can now get 12 to 13 slices not including the outsiders on a large loaf and each slice is the perfect thickness, no more doorstops! It is not perfect in operation, you have to put some pressure on the bread to keep it in place and you need to experiment on how wide to set the blade but once you have it set to the width that you desire, it's perfect. Each slice doesn't come out the other side fully but with gentle coaxing, the slice can easily be pulled free if it's stuck. It's very safe as well as you need to press two buttons at the same time for the blade to operate. My advice is to practice before you give up on it if you are having problems because it really does work a dream once you get the knack of it. I wouldn't recommend it for those that have mobility problems as you do need to press the buttons with one hand and apply firm pressure with your other hand. For those of you who are destroying your lovely homemade bread like I was, then this is for you!
on 1 July 2014
Best food slicer I have ever had Ken
on 19 May 2005
After much consideration, I took the plunge and forked out for a slicer. I have had a bread machine for years and have been cutting bread by hand, rather unsuccesfully. Now I can slice a whole loaf in 1 go and get a lot more bread from 1 loaf. It has been so successful that my sister-in-law would like one and I think my mother-in-law would also.
The only down-side to it is that I have to slice my loaf on its side as it is too tall to stand up, and I only cook the medium size option, and so it can be fiddly at the beginning of the loaf. I would however recommend that anyone who makes their own bread should definitely have one of these in their cupboard, unles you are a excellent bread slicer.
11 Comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2006
I bought the Kenwood Slicer at the same time as my new Breadmaker and only really use it for slicing bread.
Whilst I was surprised how slowly the blade spins, it generally does a good job with bread although but does not quite make the grade as the perfect tool for home baked bread. I have found that if I bake larger 1.5lb and 2lb loaves I struggle to fit the loaf into the carriage and that the blade diameter is only just enough requiring a bit of squashing of the loaf at times. Another problem is that the exit path for the slice requires a significant curve which makes life difficult with either the crust which is too stiff or a very delicate bread which can tend to break apart.
On a positive note, it is very easy to keep clean with the necessary parts easily removed and washed. The cutting width is easily set and gives nice consistent slices. Before I bought it I was slightly concerned for my fingers being quite clumsy at times, however it seems to be well designed and I've not yet had any close encounters.