Customer reviews

Bursting Out
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 December 2009
Live the 'Tull were on fire in the late '70s and it comes through wonderfully on this powerful double album. The remastered sound is full without suffering from too much compression.
Other than the inclusion of the weak 'Hunting Girl' and the predictable drum-solo that, equally predictably, sounds exactly the same as every other rock drum solo ever, I cannot fault the set list.
This would make an excellent introduction for 'Tull newbies.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 November 2013
A collection of the best of.....
And live! Well mixed and
Performed. Anyone who
wants to check out the music
And ability of Mr Anderson &
these Gents. This is by far the
Best recording to do so.
on 9 March 2013
Brings back memories of when I had this as a double album on records in the early 1980's. Excellent entertainment and highly impressive live performances, so good to hear it again. Buy this CD, great value for money.
on 18 September 2014
In an interview given a couple of years back, Ian Anderson was asked by Rick Wakeman ‘What in your opinion was or is the best Tull line-up?’ to which IA replied ‘The current one, purely because they need to know how to play all the old stuff as well as the more modern tracks’. Love him as I do, I think perhaps he may have been being diplomatic to the current band members but perhaps would rather have said ‘The mid-70’s line up; John Evan, Barriemore Barlow, David Palmer, John Glascock and Martin Barre’. This is the line up on this, my favourite Tull album. I first came across JT during the early 80’s ‘Broadsword’ period and was assured, good as that particular album was, that there was a much better back-catalogue to dip into. And how right that advice turned out to be. That’s how I came across Live Bursting Out. From the outset this album is a joy and truly encapsulates the band at the peak of its abilities. An awesome introductory song ‘No Lullaby’ is followed by a superb cross-selection of JT classics from circa ‘69 to ‘78. My stand-out tracks are the fuller-length version of ‘Thick As A Brick’, the rockier ‘Cross Eyed Mary’ and the wonderful ‘Skating Away…..’, though all of the acoustic tracks in the earlier part of the show are superb. One of the great live albums of all time, this is an excellent introduction to a great band and easily earns its place in any music collection. Buy this album!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 9 July 2016
I used to have this Album at school (a good 40 years ago now) and loved it then and love it now. Jethro Tull are one of those groups that, for me, come alive when they perform. Whilst I enjoy some/most of their studio albums, they can be a bit of a refined taste and will not suit everyone, however on stage they are amazing. This album really does take most of their greatest tracks and puts real energy and life into them. Honestly, a really enjoyable listen to a very talented, if a little old, group. Also was able to take my son to see them in Inverness on their 40th anniversary tour and it was still great.
on 15 January 2013
This replaces my Tull tape, recorded from the vinyl version back in 1981 (courtesy of Walworth Library free records and Mayor "Red" Ken Livingstone). If you like live albums this is a pretty good live recording from the 70's. It is also the BEST collection of classic Tull tracks. Not the biggest but the best. In fact it is my favourite Tull album of all as the studio albums were generally half great and half pretty humdrum tracks. If you buy just one Tull album, this is my recommendation.
on 20 November 2003
This was just about my favourite record of the 70's.
A brilliant introduction to Jethro Tull - even now I prefer this to the original recordings - I can even remember all of the jokes
My brother has just copied the album to disc for me, but after all this time you get the crackles etc
I've ordered the CD, even if I'm broke when it's released
on 5 December 2010
This is a great opportunity to listen to them in their best line-up; unfortunately,the only recording of such line-up live "bursting out", literally !
on 29 April 2011
it's along time since I listened to the LP. It is still as good as the first time I listened, to it . Wondering why it took so long, to rebuy it .
on 22 August 2016
One for Tull fans who relish the bands' music-making skills. Ian Anderson is a genius.