Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£0.47+ £1.26 shipping

on 13 July 2004
To "musicandfilmsnob" from London, I think your name tells it all! American cheese smaltz, indeed? That comment is as idiotic and racist as I have ever heard. Have you ever heard of Elvis, the King, or Aretha Franklin, the Queen of Soul? What about Jimmy Hendrix, the Doors, Tina Turner, Madonna, Michael Jackson (his music - not his private life), etc. I am American and proud of it, and I resented that offensive comment. I love British music very much as well. The Beatles were geniuses, the Stones were a blast, and Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin is probably the best song ever recorded! If you don't like Pop Idol, don't listen to it. I happen to like Pop Idol. I think Will Young, Gareth Gates, Darius, and Michelle are fantastic! And as far as cheesy smaltz goes, every country has had its share of it. As Britain has been influential in so many things, so has America, Italy, France, Germany, Japan, China, etc. So let's not offend one another with insensitive remarks. Let's all try to get along and respect one another. God bless everyone!
on 4 December 2003
I think this single is rubbish! Why bother covering a classic song which can not be beaten by any other artists! I think you should really buy Bo Selecta's Proper Crimbo DVD SINGLE. Well thats what I think. You might not agree with me. Personally I think John Lennon's original verison is much better!
on 8 December 2003
This song will defo be number one - its written in the christmas stars.
You have to admire the pop idols - they must be pretty freaked at their success.
Their will probably be a backlash of museoes saying the song is rubbish - but hey - no-one ever said pop idol was cool.The song is well sung and good fun. It gives you a warm feeling in your tummy.
And isn't this the song's point and what we all want for xmas?
I say give the pop idols a break- they aren't that bad.
on 14 December 2003
Before I heard that the "Pop Idol" finalists would be releasing this song I didn't even know that "Pop Idol" still existed. Now that I know that it does all I can say is that these people should be shot! Destroying a masterpiece shouldn't be rewarded!
Many people have commented that "Ohh they sing so well." Big deal. It''s hardly like they had to learn to sing and personally I don't think they do sing very well, they've made the song sound like American cheesy schmaltz when before it was a classic. If this song goes to no.1 then truly it reflects the appaling state of our country's tastes. When are people going to get bored of this crap? Its all the same and nearly every song released by these manufactured "artists" is a cover, with the exception of hear'say who simply made bad, bad songs.
Without Britain there would be no Beatles, no Rolling Stones, no Led Zeppelin and many other true musicians. These bands started out over three decades ago and we still talk about them, do you think that in even one year people will remember the Pop "Idols." I think not. I urge Amazon to ban this CD because young children might actually think that the Pop Idols wrote the song!
Disgusted....
on 12 December 2003
If you've been seeing the video on TV and especially just clips of it then you will fail to not notice the wonderful Kirsty Crawford. She was the highlight of the finalists, and indeed, the highlight of the whole Pop Idol 2 series.
So, albeit with 11 others, this will be Kirsty's first single release. It will NOT be her last as her singing talents outshine everyone else on this release. She WILL go far.
This will be a collectors item one day :)
on 13 December 2003
I abseloutely think this is a terrible song. The original masterpiece by John Lennon is much, much better. You are better off buying Bo Selecta's Proper Crimbo CD/DVD. I think The Idols will reach Xmas No.1, because it is much loved by many. Well, I want either The Darkness: - Christmas Time or Bo Selecta's Proper Crimbo to win.
on 11 December 2003
I'll start with a similar point - The full track title is Happy Christmas War Is Over (If you want it) which was the point that John Lennon was trying to get across. It's a well known track that has stood firm since it's original release and the idols have covered it well.
Yes it's a cover, yes it's a rush release but the show has kept the nation gripped and there is no denying we have some fantastic singers among this little lot! (Chris Hide in particular.)
The single release contains 2 bonus tracks not included on the xmas factor album.
Hopefully this will be an introduction to some original material being released by some of the finalists in the near future. But it's a great modern version and has been updated well. A surefire contender for xmas number one!
on 11 December 2003
I thought the last Pop Idols were bad, but then I heard this. This single is like blasphemy to the music god that is John Lennon. And the fact that this terrible piece of aural torture will probably get to Xmas number 1 just makes me want to give up life altogether. How anyone, even kids can buy this just because they're on the TV is unfathomable. Blazin' Squad are better than this. BLAZIN' SQUAD! Buy the Darkness' Christmas single instead, to show the music fatcats that we're fed up with this type of garbage. Buy anything else. Buy Cliff Richard if you have to! Anything else! Just please don't buy this!
on 8 December 2003
This CD features the 12 finalists from the TV show Pop Idols in four Christmas tracks including a video of the main song Happy Xmas (War is Over), previously done by John Lennon. This track is even better than the original with all the Pop Idols taking turns singing solo. This works really well, and the other tracks are traditional Christmas songs. Recommended for easy listening festive music on Christmas Day.
on 14 December 2003
Sorry to tell you, but war certainly is not over. Although this single is perhaps a reason to start another! This year's contestents are rubbish, and this single is a cynical money making exercise and a bad attempt to help the recognition of this utterly talentless bunch. Buy Darkness for your kids instead!