Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 12 February 2006
My 21 month old is watching this as I type and ROARING with laughter. It's the first time he's ever really laughed at anything on TV. He's enthralled by this DVD in a way he hasn't been with Maisy or Bob the Builder or Baby Einstein. He loved all three of those so I'm quite amazed by the look of delight on his face when he sees Kipper!
These little cartoons are really lovely. The screen is very calm, with spare drawings and very little background. I like the way the screen is usually all white and bare except for the important things - the characters and whatever they are using, like a window (but no wall) and a basket (but no room, save for a faint line marking where the floor might stop and the wall starts). It's very easy on the eyes, and so calm compared to most children's TV!
Martin Clunes is excellent - better than Neil Morrissey is in Bob or Maisy. His voice is very soothing but full of character and fun.
The characters are warm and funny without being twee or sickly, and the whole thing just exudes cosiness and fun, without being irritatingly wholesome. But it is very wholesome. And, it's fun for adults to watch too. I could watch this over and over again. Perfect for snuggling on the sofa on rainy Sunday mornings. Kipper gives you the warm fuzzies like the programmes from your own chidlhood.
This is a winner!
0Comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 March 2005
I bought this for my 18 month old twins. The animation is perfect for them: simple and uncluttered (almost minimalist), not fast or crazy. The background music is also excellent, pleasant and unobtrusive. Most importantly I think, is the clear and simple language (with English actors doing the voices). I can recommend this 110%. The kids love it as much as I do!
on 24 September 2012
PURCHASED THIS FOR THE YOUNGEST OF MY GRANDKIDS. ALL FIVE OF THEM HAVE 'GROWN UP' WATCHING KIPPER ON DEAR OLD VHS, AND BY NOW THESE A GETTING PRETTY WORN. (DARE I SAY IT, YOU CAN'T PIRATE THEM ONTO A DISC BECAUSE THERE'S A LOCK ON 'HIT' MATERIAL OF 'KIPPER'). THE KIDS ALL END UP WITH FITS OF LAUGHTER, AND I TOO LOVE THE WORK OF MICK INKPEN, AND EVEN THE VOICEOVERS ARE GOOD. I'M A BIT OF OLD TRADITIONAL GRANDAD I SUPPOSE, AND I'VE GOT THEM INTO STEAM TRAINS, FRED DIBNAH AND THE LIKE -- EDUCATIONAL HISTORY, AND TO ME, FAR FAR BETTER THAN ALL THESE COMPUTER ANIMATED MONSTERS, WARLIKE ROBOTS AND VIOLENT TRANSFORMERS. CERTAINLY NOBODY USES BAD LANGUAGE ON KIPPER OR SPITS BLOOD EITHER ON KIPPER. WONDERFLLY CHILDLIKE AND TOTALLY RECOMMENDED... BUT ON THIS OCCASION, ZOVERSTOCKS, THE SUPPLIER. SOLD ME GOODS THAT WEREN'T UP TO SCATCH -- LITERALLY! THEY'VE GOT A GOOD RATING AND I'VE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM BEFORE, SO I ACCEPTED THE DVD AS 'MARKED BUT PLAYS OK'. SORRY, BUT IT DIDN'T, AND I HAD SOME DISAPPOINTED KIDS, SO SADLY, I HAD TO ASK FOR A REFUND, WHICH WAS ISSUED WITHOUT QUESTION. I THEN ORDERED A REPLACEMENT ELSEWHERE.
on 16 August 2010
My 17-month-old is allowed 20 mins of DvD before bedtime and was rapidly growing out of the Baby Eistein selection we had for her. After much research I bought this DvD and cannot recommend it enough. The animation is simple and beautiful. The stories enchanting, and filled with characters and items she can recognise from everyday life. Best of all are the voices in the videos that seem to be aiding her language every day. You won't regret watching your little one chuckling aloud in front of the TV to what is a totally innocent (although brief) pleasure! Every parent of a young child should have this at home.
on 5 March 2017
Lovely dvd but for some reason there were only 5 episode rather than 10 like there should be and says there should be on the box. Has the right disc been put in the case? Disappointing for our daughter!!
on 8 March 2017
on 19 September 2017
Loved by my grandson.
on 16 February 2004
Kipper on DVD at last!
10 good length stories and no rewinding. All the favorite friends (Tiger, Pig, Arnold etc) and a few new ones.
The kids watch again and again.