on 1 September 2005
Check whether your area (post-code) can support freeview well before you buy. I'm only suggesting because I have never experienced freeview TV before so I was quite new to this when I purchased the TV. My original roof ariel was fine, picture quality/reception was excellent and I had read up on freeview to see what all the hype was about. I typed in my post-code to see if i was able to have the freeview service and it said I could providing my ariel was up to standard. Everything looked pretty good so I decided to go with the Sanyo with freeview.
On receiving the TV, everything looked great, slight problem with set-up but easily managed to get round that. Searched for digital channels and could only find 31, missing the popular ITV2 & 3 and E4 etc, but got some others anyway including some good music channels. Called the freeview hotline that the TV comes with and lo and behold, they confirmed my post-code was not a fantastic area for freeview! It is however gradually going to get better, no date as to when though...... Some channels come back now and again, but all depends on the weather. On the really sunny clear days, I can get up to 44 channels, but then it rains and they disappear or I cannot view them!
Picture quality great, very good sharp images and excellent colour. You have to manually push the auto wide screen button on the remote every now and again to get the correct length of screen, even though auto detect is selected but not a major problem. Sound is ok, but just missing the slight oomph I have heard from previous TV's (seems like you really need to turn the volume up, especially watching DVD movies), the extra base option doesnt really do much either. Apart from those things, the TV is very good, and I do like it.
If you are a bit of a TV techie then you may be slightly dissapointed. For the money though, and if you live in a good freeview reception area then a great purchase awaits you! The TV on the Sanyo stand looks great by the way.
on 17 February 2006
I shopped around for a number of weeks looking for a inexpensive TV, in a widescreen and flatscreen format, with integrated Freeview. I considered a similar model from Toshiba, but couldn't find it in stock anywhere at a comparable price to the Sanyo.
This TV fit the bill. As a TV it is fine. Decent picture, decent sound, obviously not at the high-end for the price. Two SCART sockets, front AV jacks as advertised.
It's worth mentioning that the Amazon page calls this item "Sanyo 28DFN", but the model that arrived at my door was a "Sanyo CE28DFN3-B" which is to say, it's the 3rd revision of this model. I was surprised to discover that there is an additional port on the back labeled Common Interface, which I believe can be used to access Top-Up TV paid digital channels. It may require an extra adaptor called a CAM - I'm not sure as I don't plan to subscribe to Top-Up TV. It's nice to know that it's possible though.
The TV works as advertised and I have no regrets in purchasing it. The biggest failing that I've noted is its Freeview electronic program guide: when entering the guide, the guide takes up the full screen and mutes the audio. I understand that some program guide software allows you to continue viewing the current channel in a corner of the guide as you browse upcoming program descriptions. This TV does not. The other Freeview interactive features (BBCi, and currently the 2006 Winter Olympic coverage) have worked perfectly.
on 8 December 2005
I am very impressed with how easy this television was to install and set up,it does what it says,and the picture quality and sound are very good.Picks up all the digital channels well. I feel this appliance truely is value for money!
on 15 December 2005
Delivery was prompt (six days, including weekend, from date of order) and I was telephoned beforehand. The Sanyo CE28DFN is an amazing bargain. Not a spectacular performer, but both picture and sound are perfectly adequate, and a darned sight better than the LCD models they'd have you spend four times as much on. My view is this is the perfect stopgap until LCD technology catches up.
Setup was quick and very straightforward. My only difficulty (at time of writing) is that the TV tried to set up again the second time I switched it on. The only other annoyance is the fact that the screen can't decide what ratio it should use. Although there's an "auto" setting that is supposed to switch automatically when a widescreen picture is detected, it seems to zoom in slightly, chopping the edges off, and you have to scroll through the alternative settings (via the remote) until you find one that doesn't distort the picture.
But at £255 including delivery, who can complain?
on 4 August 2005
arrived quickly & well packaged. i had a little trouble with the set-up, but help-line worked well. working perfectly. great picture & sound. very good value purchase.
on 4 October 2005
Very pleased with the overall performance of this TV in an area where FreeView is not guaranteed to work. It works with many of the FreeView channels nevertheless with good solid picture.
Only niggle I have is that theres no immediate indication as to whether it is switched to analogue or digital reception. This confuses my better half!
on 30 March 2016
Great item.
on 27 September 2005
I purchased this for my two year old for which it works fine. Certainly not the type of picture I would expect from 21st century electronics, even at the lowerend of the market. If you are looking for an inexpensive TV for the guest room or smaller children, then this one works. If you are looking for a good TV for home use, then I cannot suggest this one