Customer reviews

2,864
Style: Star 61|Change

on 17 February 2017
Not recommended for a DSLR. Can only be used with a small point-shoot camera or action camera like GoPro etc. under calm (non windy) environment. Slight gust of wind and this will start dancing! :)

I somehow managed to use it to photograph the northern lights with my Nikon D810 and Sigma 35mm f1.4 art :)
The below was observed while using it with my DSLR in Iceland recently.
The head is flimsy and does not hold its position steadily. You cannot prevent the tripod from shaking in case there is even a slight gust of wind blowing.
Not a waste of money at that cost though if you are using small cameras.
review image
on 11 August 2013
I bought this direct from Amazon (22 months ago) and got a good deal on the price.

At slightly over 64 cm long and 1526 grams when packed up in its case, this is quite a package to carry around.

When set to its minimum height, the head plate is about 61 cm off the ground. When everything has been fully extended, the height of the head plate is about 158 cm off the ground.

What I like about it:
+ Spirit level built into upper leg brace
+ Spirit level built into the head platform
+ Side carry handle (handy if you have small hands)
+ Crank handle to elevate central column
+ Central brace hook (to hang a stabilization bag on)

What I don't like about it:
- Cheap and fragile feel of product
- Head plate uses a flip over key style of screw to attach the camera (see my picture)
- Bottom feet use a ball and socket type of adjustment (see my picture)

On paper this Hama should be good, it offers a lot of handy features only found on more expensive tripods. However in use the item feels cheap and fragile. The head plate uses a flip over key style of screw to attach the camera which I find fiddly (a thumb wheel would have been so much better). The use of a ball and socket type of adjustment for the bottom feet doesn't work all that well and the tripod seems to be upset easily, so I think the use of the central brace hook to hang a stabilization bag is required in most situations.
review image review image
on 26 November 2012
I bought these for my Celestron 20x80 binoculars, for astronomy.

I'll cut to the chase.

5/5, and here's why:

When you need to get a tripod up in a short space of time, attach something to it, and then be secure in the knowledge it wont drop your beloved piece of gadgetry, you need one thing: GOOD DESIGN!!

This is easily the best design I've come across. It lacks all those ridiculous knobs and screws and instead opts for a snap-and-go adjustment system which is so much easier to use. My binoculars weigh in at 2 kilos and this tripod not only carried them perfectly but I never worried about anything breaking off. The central column is held by another twist-lock mechanism for added security.

I read someone on here saying they'd broken off the main base "easily" and I can only say that you'd have to be a complete idiot to "easily" break this piece of equipment.

I've no criticims of this tripod at all. My only tip is that you should apply some good thick mechanical lubricant to the top mechanism if you want smooth motion when turning the base...but that's just me being fussy.

It's light, affordable, nice to look at, perfectly designed, and sets up in seconds.

Can't go wrong.
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This Hama Star 63 is a good lightweight tripod, suitable for a small DSLR or binoculars. It is only rated for a 4kg load, but the thicker legs than the lighter Hama Star 61 (3kg load) are a significant improvement, and hanging the camera kit bag etc from the hook makes the whole thing a lot more stable.

All the moving parts can be clamped to prevent shake rattle or roll, and while the less-than-smooth head is not really intended for live tilting or panning of video it is easy to make quick adjustments for a sequence of still shots or binocular views. The spirit levels are accurate enough to match the level sensor in my camera.

The various clamps work well, but the rubber feet tend to move about on a polished floor as weight changes, partly because the legs flex a bit and partly because the rubber is not at all sticky. So for longer sets I loop a cord around the feet as a makeshift spreader.

It is not as robust or well made as some professional tripods I have used in the past, but they were more than twenty times the price and a lot heavier, and usually had the option of a purpose built ground-level spreader for best stability. Again the head could be a lot better, but again one would have to pay an awful lot more to find a really good fluid-damped one suitable for smooth video panning.

As a quick and simple occasional use portable tripod it is brilliant, but I would suggest looking elsewhere for a daily use professional application.
on 10 April 2015
One of the first tripod's I've ever owned and I absolutely love it!

The tripod came in nice, professional packaging and inside there was also a carry bag which is a really nice extra! The tripod stands pretty high is quite sturdy. The tripod is light and easy to carry around.

The central column and the quick release head gives a good control over the height and angles of the tripod.

The one thing that has annoyed me is that the arm that you loosen to move the camera etc up and down has dropped out and I have 2 washers with no idea where to put them back into, they won't fit anywhere. This is extremely annoying but I can still use the tripod if I hold it.

All in all, a good beginner tripod!
on 18 October 2016
I wanted another tripod, and thought about buying another Hama Star 61, but this was only a few pounds more expensive, so I decided to give this a try. It is sturdier than the Star 61, and it should be capable of supporting heavier cameras more reliably, though the top end is very similar, so maybe there isn't much in that.

A noticeable difference is in the weight. This isn't much of a problem if the tripod is to be used in a fixed location, such as a studio, and left there, but for more mobile use the weight difference can present a disadvantage, at least as regards carrying it for even moderate distances. Hikers/backpackers would certainly feel the difference.

Both the Star 61 and the Star 63 have spirit levels, which can be useful in some situations, and the tripods can be tightened up to make them fairly rigid. If some of the clips or screw thread tighteners are loose, then the tripods may wobble a bit. It is worth practising a bit with these. The extra weight of the 63 may be helpful in some locations, to avoid the tripod toppling over.

There is also a hook for hanging a weight on to give greate stability. The weight could be a sandbag, or a plastic container filled with water.

The exchangeable base plate for the cameras is very useful, though make sure it doesn't get left on a camera which is left at home if taken out. It is very easy for the plate to become separated from the tripod, which renders the whole thing useless until they are paired up again. Don't pack them in different bags or boxes!

I haven't bought a Star 62 - yet! I don't know if that would make sense - what are the differences? I suspect it's between the two models 61 and 63 in terms of weight, sturdiness and size. Is there any merit in having a complete range? I don't know.

For sturdiness, robustness, stability and carrying capacity the 63 shoudl be better than the 61.
For cheapness, and ease of carrying the 61 is better, but may compromise shots due to more vibrations. I have found both of them useful for my purposes, which have included videos, though panning hasn't been something I needed to do much. For fixed head use these are good, but I note that others have commented that they might not be suitable for more dynamic video usage.
It would be useful to have spare base plates, as it is easy for these to be separated from their tripods. Whether it's worth buying yet another tripod including a base plate, or simply a spare base plate is a matter for each to decide - probably based on costs at the time. Spare base plates are available.
on 23 July 2016
Initially, I was sceptical as to whether I could get a good tripod for this price, and nearly went with a more expensive option. But I can honestly say that, personally, this tripod is perfect for me. It easily unfolds to form a sturdy structure that can rest easily (and be stable upon) most surfaces. I also find that the feet can easily dig into softer ground (such as grass) to offer extra stability. Mounting a camera on the tripod is very simple, simply "screwing" the camera onto a raised point. Finally, the handle (I'm don't know the specific term, sorry) is useful for a much more stable shot than would be achievable by hand, and is sturdily attached. Taking all this into account, including the low price, his is a definite buy for me!!
on 25 March 2016
I bought this product over two years ago when I was first beginning my interest in photography. I did not want to spend a lot of money on a tripod as I was not sure how seriously I would get into the hobby. A friend recommended this tripod and for the price, I felt there was no reason not to give it a try.

Fast forward over two years and this is still the main tripod that I use. It is relatively light, I do a lot of hiking and climbing, so weight is an important factor to me. I do not want to have to carry around a 5kg tripod whilst already carrying a 20kg rucksack. At just over 1kg this tripod is great for travel.

Despite the low cost and low weight of the product, it is remarkably durable and versatile. I have used the tripod at the top of mountains, and so far have had no issues whatsoever with wind. Occasionally I have had to hang a weight from the hook at the bottom to keep it upright, but of course, that is why it is there. The tripod extends to pretty much any height you could ever need (from about a foot from the ground to almost head height).

It is very easy to attach your camera to this tripod. I use it with my Canon EOS 1100D and have had no issues in this regard. It is also very easy to rotate the camera - whilst attached to the tripod - from portrait to landscape and vice versa. Tilting the camera up and down or from side to side is also easily achieved and can then be secured in place once you are happy with the set up. The tripod even comes with a couple of small built in spirit levels, if having the camera level is a concern.

I would highly recommend this camera to any beginner who does not wish to spend a lot of money. Do not let the great price fool you, though. This would be a great tripod for anyone.
on 2 January 2017
Great value for money tripod,sturdy thick diameter legs, that when fully extended and locked, maintain good rigidity.
The plastic parts seem fairly thick and strong, although going from my experience using other budget tripods from other manufacturers,I would exercise some caution when tightening the locking screws as these plastics can sometimes become brittle over time.
I'm 6ft tall and the tripod easily fully extends to just above my eyeline, hand cranked lockable central column, dual spirit levels and quick change camera plate are great features to have included, especially at this price point.
Overall I think it's an excellent tripod for the money with pretty much every feature you would want or need, included.
on 12 December 2016
I absolutely love this tripod, this is my first tripod and is fantastic for first time buyers starting out in video/photography or even if not a beginner just someone looking for a good build quailty and value for money,I will highly recommend this to anyone considering the price this is going for is an absolute steal, when i was deciding which tripod to go for i looked at the VELBON EF-41 Tripod first in currys and was just not feeling it, it felt heavy clunky and didn't like the feel/ finish of it, I just wasn't ready to part with my money for something i wasn't 100% happy with, then i continued searching and a came across a photography magazine which was recommending cheap budget high quality tripods and the Hama Star 61 Tripod came up top with quality and price so i searched on amazon and was £17 at the time of purchase ordered it straight away and signed up to the Free 30day Amazon prime Trial ordered on Saturday for free next day delivery on Sunday you cant beat that, item was packed well and comes with a carry poach the quality and the feel and finish is just fantastic and I am so glad that i didn't go with Velbon tripod, you can take every type of shot 360 180 90 you want with this tripod, it has a quick release, 2x sprit levels,a weight hook, head can extend even more with the wind up arm which can fold away, great height when legs fully extended and feels compact and lighter when folded away to carry than the velbon, all in all i cant fault this item one bit a Great Buy.