Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 1 August 2017
got this for a friend she loves anything to do with lions
on 20 May 2017
good film, good copy, well worth buying
on 7 March 2017
Excellent price and delivery, thank you.
on 17 March 2017
good
on 16 February 2014
two good films back from the 70s I was a boy back then ,good to see again and wonder how fast time can pass you buy,ailssa the lioness for a film back then well made ,a good calming film for all the family
on 6 April 2017
delightful film as good now as when made originally!
on 28 October 2010
To be honest I hadn't seen this film until very recently, though I was aware of the true story behind it. Suffice it to say, if you want a true story that is uplifting; that will fill your heart and make you weep with joy (I certainly did and I'm a bloke!), you cannot possibly go wrong with Born Free. That's all there is to say.
VINE VOICEon 1 February 2009
When I ask my friends nowadays if they have ever heard of Born Free, the answer is almost always "no". And that's a real shame. Born Free is an enchanting true story, and one whose spirit lives on in the Born Free foundation, the animal charity.

Born Free begins when a park ranger has shot a pair of man-eating lions, orphaning a litter of three cubs. He brings them home to his wife and together they raise the cubs. Eventually, they grow old enough to be sent to a zoo and two of the cubs go, but the Adamsons love the third one, Elsa, so much that they keep her. As she grows into an adult it becomes clear that she must either be sent to a zoo, or set free. Yhe Adamsons decide to free her, but it will be a long, hard path...

People of all ages will enjoy the film. When I was younger I adored the parts where the cubs grow up - it'll bring tears of laughter to your eyes. The humour remains an element of the film. The film itself is remarkably well made, considering that they had to use real animals to play the parts of Elsa and other lions. You'll fall in love with the character of Elsa, and all her gentleness and her quirks. The ending is truly beautiful.

Living Free is the sequel to Elsa's story, but focuses this time on the three cubs she has. I won't give a plot blurb for fear of ruining part of the story. While not as good as Born Free in my eyes, the film is still well made and enjoyable for those already familiar with its predecessor.

I'd also like to defend the films after one reviewer said something along the lines of "don't watch this film, it has scenes of animals being killed, don't let your children see it!" This is grossly unfair - no animal is ever actually seen shot. There is no violence except a fight between two lionesses (something tame compared to most nature documentaries) and I've seen far more violence in children's cartoons. I advise children to watch this film, not avoid it; it helps instill awareness and love for nature.
on 25 March 2007
This film adaptation which was made in 1966 (not 1996!) stays mostly true to the original book. It tells the tale of three orphaned lion cubs, two of which are sent to zoos. The other, Elsa, develops a strong bond with her owners. But of course, she's a lioness, not a pussycat, and eventually she grows too big. Not wanting her to go to a zoo, her owner Joy Adamson tries to release her back into the wild.

Although not as good as th original, the sequel Living Free makes great eye-candy, showing some adorable scenes with the cubs, and some stunning footage of wildlife (they actually caught a cheetah catching its prey).

I saw these films when I was about ten, and I am 13 now. They stay very loyal to the books, and well, if you haven't read, I suggest read them then watch the films. Highly recommended.

(How could you say these films are 'gruesome.' It's quite tame compared to what I've seen on so-called 'children's TV.' And besides, you can't sugarcoat everything for children. Next time, try explaining to your kids that this is a film about wild animals, not cute little fairies.)
on 26 April 2017
This is a beautiful & heart warming story. I saw both films as a boy & my favourite then was "Born Free": however, having now watched both as an adult I now find "Living Free" to be the best!