Customer reviews

on 18 June 2007
I like bill frisells music a lot and have all but a very few of his albums.
As to the vocalist on this record, Petra Haden: I have gone into myself for a while and looked deep for a reason why anyone would record her and release a record of her singing, and whilst I can't see it, someone else obviously did.
And in music a lot is about taste, right?
I like Bill Frisells contributions very much however, and he is the reason why I got the album in the first place.

In Response to the above:
Like I said:
I like Bill Frisell's work a lot.
I have often bought cds on which he played
without knowing them first.
This was the case here.

I did not say that I dislike the cd.
I merely said that I don't like the voice.
:-))
on 1 January 2008
This is a sweet record, nothing ground breaking, just quite lovely. It's a shame Petra didn't act as a bit more of a restraining editing force on Bill Frisell. Her old band That Dog at their best were always more about being concise and focused. That can work in jazz too but it's plainly not Bill Frisell's thing. His playing is nice enough but not overflowing with character. It could have done with more of Petra's violin to spark more life into him. Her singing is as lovely as ever.

One star off for him not putting as much into this as he might. The other one off for the Cold Play cover. Neither of them have ever produced anything so empty and souless that i've heard. What was the point? A joke? But they both seem to take it so seriously.