Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 August 2005
I bought Josh Groban's debut album about half a year ago and then bought Closer recently. I am glad that I have listened to his debut first because Closer is an album that is a lot more emotional and it shows that he is more mature in his singing. My favourite tracks are Mi Mancherai, Per Te and Remember When It Rained, partly because I like the orchestral arrangment for the songs. This CD is highly recommended. I can't wait to get his next album!
on 28 August 2017
Oooops, I got asked to review something I bought a week ago and whilst doing so, I came across a list as long as my arm of things I've not reviewed....hence, I'm a little late with this one (bought this album 1st August 2008). I love Josh's voice. It's continuously playing on my ipod and only today, clearing the garden, I listened to the whole album twice through. I never tire of it : )
on 24 March 2017
good cd
on 6 May 2016
Fantastic item.
on 5 October 2015
Josh is always good
on 11 September 2017
very good replaces our old scratched CD
on 5 June 2017
I can't decide if he is better than Andrea Boccelli, his voice is fantastic.
on 29 January 2005
Josh Groban was a voice I'd wanted to listen to for a while but I kept putting off buying this CD because I wasn't quite sure that I would like it. I got given an on-line voucher and Josh immediately sprung to mind!
Now I'm sooooo glad I did! Since the album arrived 3 days ago it has been playing on my stereo nearly continuously. The more I listen to it, the more I fall in love with his voice. How is that this guy is not more well known?!?
I guess you could class his genre as something along the lines of "opera/pop".
My favourite song has to be "You Raise Me Up", it is truely beautiful and the lyrics are so inspiring. Every time I hear "Oceano" it sends a strange shiver down my spine.
I have literally just ordered Josh's first, self-titled, album and can't wait to receive it!
I truely feel I've uncovered a true musical gem. I will be buying every album Josh can pump out. I'm only sad I didn't buy it earlier!
on 12 November 2003
I'm listening to the album right now on [...] and I can say that this is an amazing album. Any fans of Josh Groban from his debut eponymous album will not be disappointed and anybody new to Josh Groban will fall in love with this guy's voice!
The vocal talent displayed is amazing and Josh Groban has also written a few songs for this album and played the piano part for "Remember When It Rained". This is a good selection of songs and there are a couple ("Broken Vow" and "My Confession") that could leave you in tears while the soaring crescendo on the first single from this album "You Raise Me Up" will leave you... raised!
Highly recommended.
on 18 November 2003
The wait for this album is now over. Now the music rolls on from the debut album - Josh Groban...and the teaser Live album, where we first heard Broken Vow.
Broken Vow is heard here in CLOSER .... beautiful arrangement. This studio version is more intimate than the live version and takes us into the betrayal of this relationship.
Amongst the songs collected here, You Raise Me Up is truly outstanding. A cover of Secret Garden's gem. The opening, similarly, with Uilleann pipes sets the mood of the Irish Famine as pictured with the stirring lyric. Josh and team have done an exquisite take, made it quite his own. And I still love Secret Garden's version....
Paul Schwartz and David Foster's ALL'IMPROVVISO AMORE is another brilliant track. Punchy as the choppy sea...fluid as Josh's voice. I'm so impressed.
Joshua Bell's opening in MI MANCHERAI from il postino is typical of his standard - brilliant. Josh's voice flows into the song and again, fills it with poetry. More than I can say for Deborah Harry's version in English. As much as I love Deborah, her set of English lyric did nothing for the melody, which is recorded for the Cinema Italiano album.
Never Let Go is somewhat disappointing; a rather so-so track with Eric Mouquet. The voice does not sit into the song, or is it the other way, I cannot say.
Remember When It Rained with Eric Mouquet is so much better. Add the words, written by Josh and the song is very attractive. The arrangement sets the moody tone of rain and tears...
And there's something for everyone: a spanish track, a french one, throw in Lucio Dalla's Caruso and you get, all together, a very very impressive album from this young man.
Production-wise, this album sounds very good, with the vocals still warm and earthly.
Josh's voice has grown and the maturity shines through with smoothness and grace. Great album. Keep enjoying your work Josh and keep performing..
Thanks for the music.