on 8 August 2007
The documentary unfortunately starts out with scarce picture and a lot of stand-ins, and this isn't really helpful in understanding the man - it confuses the issue. But the last half is near-sublime, in my opinion. I am not a catholic, and stumbled unto John Paul II by chance on the history channel. He almost instantly won me over by some sort of presence or radiance that I have seen in noone else. No other religious person has brought tears to my eyes, perhaps except Gandhi. I am still not catholic, being a mixture of muslim, christian, buddhist and hindu - but of the 'holy people' (to use a worn phrase) I have ever had the fortune of witnessing myself, John Paul stands out in a category by himself, the foremost one.

He is more than a priest, or even pope, he is a force. The documentary shows this, captures it. It is more than worth the watch, except the part with all the stand-ins, that is just less than inspiring.

Five stars, in all, because the end tips the scale on the beginning. John Paul II is just amazing, in my opinion. One may disagree with his teachings, but not his presence - as this documentary will show you.

I recommend it highly.

Jesper.
on 4 March 2012
If you have any interest in Pope John Paul II you will enjoy this DVD. I have numerous DVD,s of the pope and can say this one was excellent. It tells the story of Karol Wojtyla from birth to the year 2000. If you are looking for footage or pictures of Pope John Paul II then you will have to wait until the end however don't let this put you off. I found the story very interesting and detailed a must for any catholic or friend of the Pope.
on 12 December 2011
Having seen many documentaries about John Paul II, this is by far the best, a little masterpiece. It skillfully entwines authentic footage, small acted parts, interviews with the late Pope's Krakow friends to produce a very deep and authentic portrayal of the man. I cannot recommend it enough.
on 27 March 2013
Thank you very much for this wonderful DVD. Anyone who is interested in the life of Paul John Paul II should also see Karol. I recommend it wholeheartedly.
on 10 September 2014
I bought this as a gift for an elderly lady involved in the catholic church and she really enjoyed it.
She awards it 5 stars.