Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 March 2007
I got this album a few years after its release as a 'two for one' CD (both albums on one CD) with Rattlesnakes and at the time knew mainly the singles from each album. I should explain that my sister had been a huge fan of Easy Pieces and played it constantly for ages so I guess it insinuated its way into my brain.The irony is I wouldn't have bought Rattlesnakes if it hadn't been attached to Easy Pieces.
It has to be said that I wasn't disappointed with my purchase.Not only was Easy pieces as good as I hoped it would be but Rattlesnakes was brilliant as well!
I would say that Easy Pieces is a little more "produced" than Rattlesnakes but the songs tend to be more instantly likable where many of the songs on Rattlesnakes have a more wistful tone and are 'growers'.
I had long-since concluded that they are both excellent albums packed with great tracks and while I think Rattlesnakes just edges it, I would say, only just.Imagine my surprise to read Mr Cole's disparaging remarks about his own work.I suspect that his willingness to disown the album ,is , as has been seen before(Neil Young's; Time fades Away,REM's Fables), more about bad associations the artist has with the recording process rather than the quality of the material.

If you like Rattlesnakes or Lloyd Cole at all; this is a must-have.
Hopefully it will receive the full deluxe release treatment afforded Rattlesnakes.I suspect if Lloyd has his way it won't happen.
on 10 July 2005
As someone who studies the reviews on Amazon,it never ceases to amaze me that this fantastic album always seems to be ignored in lists of Lloyd Coles' best efforts.
For me it stands out as his finest hour alongside Love story.Perhaps to some musical snobs,the fact that there were three,(by Lloyd's standards),successful singles released from it somehow tarnishes the achievement.
Good though these singles were it is the rest of the album is even better culminating in,for my money,his best track ever in Perfect Blue.I have heard several versions of this classic song which turn up on the many compilations available,but none come close to the sublime simplicity of the original.
Well worth buying just for this but,trust me,the rest will not disappoint.For anyone who has listened to and enjoyed other Lloyd Cole albums I can't recommend this one too highly.
on 24 May 2006
I've seen articles about Lloyd Cole where he dismisses this album as a bit of a mistake, but I've got to say I disagree. In my view, Easy Pieces is in fact LC and Commotions' best album. It's not always a comfortable 'easy listening' listen, in that you'll need to put a bit of effort into it, and it sometimes feels a bit raw and angular, but if you put the effort in then I think it's definitely the most rewarding of the 3 albums he did with the Commotions. Put it this way: I'll sometimes be walking along and then suddenly realise I'm singing a LC and Commotions song in my head - well, more often than not, it'll be a song from this album rather than the other 2.
on 21 October 2013
This is a funny one for me... I think most of the other reviewers were already Commotions fans, when Easy Pieces was released. Meanwhile, whilst LC was one of the first artists that I discovered for myself (as opposed to being stuff that my peers at school were into), I didn't "discover" him until "Lost Weekend" was released as a single, closely followed by "Brand New Friend".

For this reason alone, I have a fond attachment to Easy Pieces, which I think I may have bought before Rattlensnakes. After all, we tend to continue to listen to the music that we grew up with. It's an emotional attachment, of course, and has little to do with the relative musical merits of the two albums.

The fact is, this is a fine album, with some typically clever lyrics. I don't think LC is either right or wrong to dismiss it as a mistake; we're each our own worst critic... It is what it is, in short, and doesn't need to be compared to Rattlesnakes to be enjoyed.
on 18 January 2015
Less well known and rather more uneven than Rattlesnakes (Lloyd and the Commotion's wonderful first album) this is still an exquisite collection of songs. The best of them - Brand New Friend, Country Music, Cut Me Down, Grace, Pretty Gone, Rich, etc. - are idiosyncratic, moody, reflective, wistful musings on all the usual themes and, while not exactly rock and roll, the tunes are good and complement both the lyrics and Cole’s breaking voice beautifully. For me, they will always be evocative of long car journeys to get frightened on ice routes on Ben Nevis and do intimidating rock climbs in Pembroke and Snowdonia in the mid 1980s – good times! But they do have something for everyone.
The only reason why I don’t reckon that it’s worth all five stars is that there’s a couple of decidedly dodgy numbers in there; James is a terrible song and I never liked Lost Weekend that much! Still, it’s better than most!
on 14 October 2006
I thought I was the only poerson in the world who thought this was the best commotions album ! Yes, llyod doesn't like this, but think about it, they keep paul hardiman producing and churn out rattlesnakes II, so what. This is so much more of a rewarding album than mainstream, change is GOOD! Strange (and a little sad) that something this amazing should be pretty much disowned by it's artist. And yes, rattlesnakes is stunning, but this showed so much growth, thrown away in later years for more of the same.
on 26 August 2010
Yes, finally managed to get a CD copy of this album. I have it on tape from the day I bought it back in 1993 and now I can have it on CD and can transfer it to my ipod. Although it is hard to get hold of on CD and expensive it is well worth the money, great value for a classic album.
Although Rattlesnacks seems to be the prefered Lloyd Cole and Commotions album as an avid and long standing Lloyd Cole fan I think this is by far the better album.
All songs are classic Lloyd lyrics and music. Listening to it all again on CD is magical and hard to pick out one song among the others as one of those classic albums that every song is as good as the next. If you are new to Lloyd Cole then "Rich" and "Cut Me Down" are the more unknown songs to be hooked on. Then the classic "Brand New Friend" and "Lost Weekend" are everyones favourites.
Great lyricist. The songs of Bell X1 remind me of Lloyd's style for lyrics which is probably why I like them. So if you like Bell X1 you should give Lloyd Cole a try.
on 31 December 2013
Fab CD of an album not easy to find and at a sensible price. Loved this album when I bought in on vinyl in 86 (I think!) and when I last looked it wasn't available on iTunes UK.
Great service from seller too.
on 14 June 2015
I bought this album on tape in the early 90s when I started listening to Lloyd Cole after hearing the brilliant She's a Girl and I'm a Man. I enjoyed it then and was glad to find it again after searching for it. Apparently Lloyd Cole hates this album which is a shame, maybe it's too pop for him. My favourite track is Grace.
on 29 August 2015
2 great albums on one CD. It is for the car, so haven't noticed any loss of sound quality after shoehorning 2 CDs on to one. I would recommend both albums to anyone.