Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 24 May 2004
First of all, I would like to say that Billy Blanks is a fitness genius. This dvd is is a part of the 'Tae-Bo Live' series in his studio. It consists of 4 workouts (in the past, each workout was sold on its own).
The first workout is an intructional one, which gives you a pretty good idea of what Tae-Bo is and how it should be performed. Only one thing bothers me about this workout, and that is that the workout is not semetrical (he only uses one side of his body) (about 35 minutes).
The second workout is the basics. this workout is for beginners, but it will also make people in great shape sweat (a lot!). I love this workout. It can be used as an aerobic warm-up before a toning session (such as for abs, arms, chest, legs...) and can also be done seperately (about 30 minutes).
Next up is the advanced class. This is a tougher and more intense workout than the previous one (about 55 minutes)
The last workout is the "8 min. workout". This is Billy Blanks' signiture workout. It is designed for people who are in the intermediate level (between basics and advanced) and is good for days when you don't have much time to excercise. In those days all you have to do is spare 8 minutes to workout (and another 30 for the shower afterwards...:).
Overall, this is a great buy and I highly recommend it to anyone who want to get in shape, have fun and still get that burn in the muscles that tells you "good job. can't wait until the next time".
All of the workouts are on one dvd and accompanied by a good warm-up and cool-down stretch, with an easy-to-choose menu.
However, the one thing I did not appreciate about this dvd is the annoying blonde screaming in the background.
11 Comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2004
This guy is good! He seems to have a knack of being able to read your mind! He knows when you are getting tired and are about to give up! He looks at you and talks to you at the right times to give you real motivation! The intro section is very good at showing you the moves and kicks needed to do Tae-bo safely and without injury. I have just done the 'basic' workout and it was very good. 30 mins of pure punches, kicks and cool moves! I am really looking forward to doing it again! I am also inpressed at the length of the dvd, 160 mins. Many fitness videos are short and you dont feel you are getting your money's worth. This one has an advanced section and an extra 8 minute workout aswell as the intro and basic workout. I recommend this, highly!
on 17 July 2005
I had piled on the weight after having my son and after about 7 months of going to the gym and on and off dieting I had lost a measily 5lb. So I decided to go in search of a work out video which I could do in the comfort of my own home with the added benefit of not paying to use gym equipment.
After a few hours of searching I stumbled across this DVD and decided to give it a go. After the 1st workout I could really feel a difference, I particularly liked the fact that I ached the following day which meant I'd had a good enough workout.
I continued to do the basic routine every day for about 2 months and lost 10lb!!
I then decided I would try the advanced routine. I found this one a lot harder at 1st as it involved a lot of floor work on the abs but soon got the hang of it.
Ive now being doing this advanced routine every day for about 4-5 months and I have lost a further stone!
I now feel confident to wear my bikini on holidays again and its all thanks to this video. Theres no stopping me now. I may get my pre pregnancy figure back sooner than I thought. BUY IT!!!!
on 27 March 2005
I have tried several different workouts in the past, including pilates. I found pilates to be too slow & got bored easily, but Billy Blanks combines the basics of stretching exercises with some really fun aerobic exercises. You tone up and burn lots of calories at the same time. As an instructor I thought Blanks was really helpful and motivational, had lots of energy without being annoying and generally came off as a nice guy. I didn't have too much trouble picking up the basic routine but I was impressed that Blanks made sure to provide modified exercises in case anyone was having trouble keeping up. I also liked the fact that most of the people doing the exercises in the background messed up at one point or another or lost their coordination - less alienating. The only downside really was the blonde co-instructor who kept yelling, could have done without her! All in all this is a great work out and has made me a fan of tae bo.
on 25 January 2005
I am very impressed with this dvd. I have just bought it and done one workout, i must say it is a very good workout. I used to do Tae bo at gym and i loved it, it is nice to be able to do it at home and get the same workout and burn.
What's nice about this workout is that there is a sit-up workout at the end of the Tae-Bo session, very cool.
I was very stiff at the next day - which I like. It is nice to feel like you have worked out and are doing something worth while.
on 14 February 2006
This was the first taebo dvd I bought, and I loved it so much I bought 6 more, but none have compared to this one.
It has workouts good enough for beginners and intermediates (the beginners is hard enough for me, harder than any on the other dvds Ive got).
Its pretty cheesy and american, but I find myself getting into the cheesy spirit and feeling good at the end, its acceptable cheese.

I have sooo many fitness dvds and this one is the best by far.
I highly recommend it.
on 28 February 2007
After injuring myself running a while back I was looking for something that would help me regain fitness but not hurt my back or legs. I did not want a 'woman's' fitness DVD with a model etc. Neither did I want an army style. I have now used this DVD for a month and it is excellent - highly motivational and challenging on different levels. A good session on how to do the exercises which is well worth watching if you want to avoid injury. A basic 30 minute session which suits me at this stage, an advanced 50 minute session which I find pretty challenging and what is described as an 8 minute session but is more like 14 minutes with warm up and stretches. Billy Blank is a great motivator and the group behind him in the DVD are different sizes and ages - not all super fit which is encouraging. Some people find the young woman shouting out the time irritating but I find it useful to keep the rhythm of the exercises. I haven't suffered any injuries and am getting fitter. Great stuff.
on 7 November 2015
Great workout but DVD quality is shocking.
on 20 April 2017
Had this one before, but, it was kinda sticking!! so i bought it again, although i have a few other ones that i really love doing, this one is totally ideal for complete beginners which goes at a pace were anyone can follow it, i would definitely recommend this to anyone!
on 26 January 2006
I just bought this DVD and finished the Tae Bo exercise programme tonight, and I must say that I am REALLY HAPPY with the results!!! Coming from a background of athletics (track and field) I wanted something pretty challenging, which would allow me to push myself hard, and focus on the exercises straight away, more or less. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Pretty simple, but hard, and there is always room for more intensity. You can always improve. And that's what I love about it as well. You can easily adjust the level of intensity according to your own body. I would imagine this would suit almost everyone, at any level.
The whole fitness concept of Tae Bo is fantastic, as it is so comprehensive, yet so simple. It manages to combine all different aspects of fitness (strenght, coordination, cardio) in a very efficient way. I'm sure I will stick to this routine in the future!
Also, Billy Blanks is the BEST instructor I've ever seen. Extremely fit, competent, professional, and very charismatic! He is GREAT for motivation. I also love the people he has picked for this DVD. They are all pretty good in their own ways, and it shows you how versatile Tae Bo is as an excercise programme. It's really for everyone, I think. I am also very pleased with the fact that they mainly put the technically best instructors to the front, so that it is easier to follow the excerices. Also, they have picked the right place for the whole thing. The visual aspect is very good. It's easy to get a picture of what everyone is doing.
I have no bad comments at all about this DVD. I think it totally rocks! :) And Billy Blanks is a TRUE STAR within his field!
If you want a serious and not very time-consuming work-out, this is a great choice for you. But of course, if you hate boxing it might not be the option for you. :)