Customer reviews

The Work Of Director Chris Cunningham [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 18 February 2004
This is a fantastic collection of work by one of the most exciting artists of our time. His vision and style are really unique, and each of the projects on this dvd are a credit to his name. The promos are simply breathtaking. His dark style not only suits each song, but also manages to improve it tenfold. He makes it a pleasure to watch Madonna for crying out loud! Not many people can do that...
The other material is also good. The commercials are superb , but the interview stuff is a little flat. Channel 4's 'mirrorball' series a few years ago did a better job in my opinion.
The complementary 50 page book is also worthy of noting. The illustrations are beautiful, if not a little disturbing towards the end...!
The only complaint i have is that there's not enough on there. But that's just me being greedy.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 December 2003
THIS is the director that originally attracted me to the Director Series. I'd been waiting for ages for Warp to put out the Aphex/Squarepusher stuff on DVD, we had Come To Viddy, but I want the full crisp quality of DVD material. And now we have most of Chris Cunningham's work on DVD! I say most, because it appears that we don't quite have it all. Flicking through the enclosed 52 page booklet packed with interviews and art, it seems we don't have things like the Placebo videos that are detailed there. A shame, its a bit like being teased with delights that you can't ever touch. So on the whole, this set isn't anywhere near as packed as Michel Gondry's effort. However, that is the only thing that detracts from this package.
If you don't know Chris Cunningham, here is a bit of detail. Starting off working on Kubrick's AI project, he became more interested in actual film making. A good friend of Richard Aphex Twin, he started off making videos for Warp artists and burst into the big time after his Come To Daddy video attracted the interest of the likes of Madonna and Bjork. Where Michel Gondry's work stirs up pleasant little stories and childlike tales, Cunningham ventures down a more disturbing dark path. Little hairy armed children running amok, 'Granny screaming', glamour women with big teeth and beards, psychotic japanese children. Something you just have to see! The thing that is most striking about Cunningham is his ideal that the pictures should trigger an emotional response. Everything you see on screen is wonderfully timed to something going on in the track (best example is the Manga crazy Come On My Seleter by Squarepusher). Nothing else is like this, grab it while you can. My personal favourite moment is again one of the short movies included. and again another one about drumming! Monkey Drummer has a multilimbed monkey robot playing a massive drum kit in time to a cracking Aphex Twin soundtrack.
A lovely little package, the menu's are designed by the man behind Autechre's Gantz_Graf single ... and are similarly chaotic noise filled madness! Grab this.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 October 2016
Very good!
on 7 April 2013
The best videos are the Bjork, and Leftfield/Africa Bambata's 'Afrika Shox,' along with Aphex Twin. These additional twelve words are required before I'm allowed to press 'Submit'
on 31 October 2003
I admit it...I'm a fan...a *huge* fan of Chris Cunningham's work.
To those who don't know him, he was production designer on "AI", director of the (amazingly intense) short film "Flex" and creator of a series of dark, jarring music promos, including Bjork's "All is full of love" and the Aphex Twin's "Windowlicker".
This stuff is not at all easy - it consists of high-intensity, high-contrast, and often violent images.
And it's wonderful...trust me.
4 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2004
The Work of Director . . . trilogy is a cracking idea, and each DVD is pretty well realised. While the Gondry and Jonze collections are, as to be expected, 100% entertaining, there's a cartoonish element to their work which, while making the music vids instantly accessible, they don't come near the impact Chris Cunningham's work creates.
Like virtually everybody else, Windowlicker and Come to Daddy provided my intro to Cunningham's work. A pretty terrifying intro initially, these are still videos that you can't get out of your head.
With all his well documented technical know how (peaking with All is Full of Love to date), Cunningham's videos have a stark feel to them which completely distinguishes them from other music video directors. It's a mark of his range that you could even view the 'Leftfield' video as being a little 'safe'. In case you haven't seen it, it involves a zombie running around NY, while bits of him break off.
The only downside is that the accompanying booklet, while great, points out several pieces of work by Cunningham that aren't on the DVD, although there are stills in the booklet. What's going on there?
Small quibble aside, a must have DVD for anyone with a passing interest in music videos. Apparently Cunningham has just got lottery backing to film a full length picture, so hopefully this will mark a renaissance in his work, as far as output is concerned.
11 people found this helpful
on 11 November 2012
I brought this DVD for a couple of reasons: 1, because I loved the videos made by Chris Cunningham which I had seen previously and was keen to see more of his work. 2, I am a 3rd year university student currently working on a project about music video, so the booklet containing short interviews about the videos was very useful also!

The only thing I was disappointed about was that some pieces of work weren't on the DVD, like his music video for the Horrors. Also, I wouldn't pay full price for this DVD it's way too expensive. But the second hand copy I received played perfectly, only the booklet was falling apart a bit, but I can live with that!

Overall, very pleased with the DVD and its helped me with my project at uni.
I'd recommend it to any Chris Cunningham fans, or people that want to see more of his work.
VINE VOICEon 9 August 2015
Purchased to replace my region one copy. This is identical to the American release and will now make it easier for me to use as a teaching resource. Cunningham is an exciting film maker who one can't help but wish he would make more. It holds both video installation work and music videos. The set comes complete with a 70 page insightful book.
on 12 June 2004
Video directors are a dime a dozen, and only few are able to distinguish themselves with any trace of personality. But Chris Cunningham is among the most talented and the most distinguished. His images are harsh, disturbing, yet elegant, and they wonderfully compliment the music these videos promote. This DVD is a collection of not only his videos, but it also has a collection of short films, commercials, and other clips. The picture quality is amazingly sharp, and the music is presented in a booming 2-channel stereo soundtrack. The highlights? Apex Twin's spooky "Come to Daddy" (banned on MTV) and the hilarious "Windowlicker" show Cunningham at the top of his game (the bleeped version of the latter video is also on this DVD, but make no mistake: my favorite is the original, cuss words and all). Drum-and-bass kings Squarepusher's "Come on My Selector" is an interesting clip set inside a Japanese psychiatric ward, and Leftfield's "Afrika Shok," which features a man who slowly dismembers himself, is quite bothersome yet well made. But one of my very favorite clips is the promo for the PlayStation video game "Mental Wealth." In this weird commercial, Cunningham features a Scottish girl whose face is eerily distorted to resemble a cross between Bjork and a space alien. It's bizarre and brilliant at the same time. Another standout is the clip "Flex" which is simply wonderful. Many complain that this isn't the full version, but I didn't care. All said, this is a hugely entertaining DVD collection for those who aren't fainthearted and have a taste for the alternative. You'll be shocked, amazed, and even disturbed, but one thing is for sure: you won't be bored.
12 people found this helpful
on 21 January 2004
This is some messed up video. I never imagined that there was a mind that could possibly be this warped, but then again, check the liner notes. The guy was chased through the woods by a nine year old with a hammer.
I haven't seen the Spike Jonze DVD, but I do own Michel Gondry's effort, and it is safe to assume that this is the best of the three. Unlike Michel Gondry's work, which are cool, these videos seem much more like landmarks, defining moments in video history, instead of the kind of pleasant diversions you get from Atomic Kitten.
The reason that I like this DVD so much is that it has been whittled down to a select few. Even the weaker videos have an industrial cool to them, and the best, particularly the Aphek Twin and Bjork promos, are awe inspiring. This DVD is filled with, 'Why didn't I think of that?' moments and I love the way that some videos go for a funky vibe, dancing in time with the music etc, whereas others are controversial in their disregard for the safe options.
And finally, where else are you gonna see this stuff? Nowhere! Unless you want to stay up until 1 on a Sunday morning.
2 people found this helpful