on 24 May 2004
This is two LP's by shortlived Medway garage band The Len Bright Combo, brilliantly called "The Len Bright Combo Presents The Len Bright Combo by The Len Bright Combo" and "Combo Time".
The first time I listened to this I was confused. The music is dense, sprawling and draws influence from 60's British psychedelic bands. I was expecting straight forward garage punk, but this is all over the place (in a good way).
There are wistful songs about couples who no longer love each other, childhood memories of Sunday afternoons, pointed social commentary and sarcastic character studies which all seem to degenerate into epic freakouts after a few minutes.
The downside is, that of the two albums here I'd say that there's only one LP worth of truly great tracks, the rest are fairly dull. I've given this four stars because there's a classic album buried in here waiting to be rediscovered.
on 29 June 2004
A very welcome re-issue of 2 super rare gems! Wreckless Eric is a genius, and these albums from his lost decade are essential. Fab!