Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 February 2004
First reveiw I ever written but I feel duty bound to introduce the world to Aslan. I got hooked on them while on one of my many trips to Ireland. They are an absolutley amazing band and my only issue is the fact I cannot buy their albums here in the UK and that no UK radio station will give them airtime.
Made in Dublin is a perfect introduction to Aslan - containing tracks from all three of their first Albums. While there is a consistency throughout that is uniquely identifiable as Aslan, it also illustrates the progression of their music from the rocky 'Goodbye Charlie Moonhead" album to the more poppy Beatlesque 'Here Comes Lucy Jones' via the slightly more keyboard/bass orientated, almost Level 42 influenced, "Feel No Shame". It ends with two amazing, beautiful cover versions from two the bands they site as their major influences, The Stone's 'Angie' and Pink Floyd's 'Wish You Were Here'. Each track is so good it's difficult to have a favourite.
Buy this album now. And if you like it buy the three albums mentioned above and then their 'latest' album - "Waiting for the Madness To End" which once again is different to their previous albums; being very heavily influenced by Pink Floyd (and dare I say it, despite their protestations) the Beatles (sorry guys!)
In the meantime bombard the radios stations with requests for Aslan - I keep trying the one associated with planes, trains, phones, etc. but no luck yet. Perhaps we need to start on the Irish DJ's first.
on 4 December 2003
By their own definition, as well as being my own personal opinion Aslan work better in a live situation than in the studio. The brilliant and cleverly thought out songwriting that makes these songs so unique and special in the first place comes truly to life in this semi intimate live environment recorded in Vicar St. Dublin. As a first, and a definite added bonus some of the tracks have also been complimented beautifully by string quartet arrangements.
Here we have a truly honest,hard working band at their best who should no doubt be deserving of at least some international acclaim. Tony McGuinness's lovely swelling fretless bass tones which constitute hugely to the unique Aslan sound are of course ever present,as to are Christy Dignam's passionate and heartfelt words which are complimented beutifully by the backing vocals of the other members of the band who are of course all excellent in their own right. Also on the CD/DVD are two cover versions...Christy's own all time favourite song "Wish you were here" by Pink Floyd and also a very old favourite of his "Angie" by the Stones.
This is a perfect starting point for any would-be UK fan especially as you receive the DVD for free (first 10,000 copies anyhow I believe)...The DVD itself is excellent and gives an interesting insight into the often turbulent history of the band and gives you the visual live experience. You will also get to witness the unique gestures that Christy makes to help his audience conjure up images to interpret the lyrics.
on 6 February 2006
We have a saying in Ireland which goes a little like this..."U2 may be the biggest band in the world, but Aslan are the biggest band in Ireland". For me at least, Made in Dublin is possibly the greatest album I have ever heard, and I have listened to a hell of a lot! I have never written a review on anything before but just like one of the other reviewers I too feel duty bound to let people know of this great band. Aslan have been doing their thing in Ireland now for 20 years and it is beyond me how they have yet to make the big time when bands with less talent then Christy Dignam(lead singer of Aslan) has in his baby finger are famous. Every song here is a gem, from what is now a nations unofficial anthem "Crazy World" to the closing track "Angie", a Rolling Stones cover even better than the original version....so say the Stones themself! If you get the chance, see them live. I promise, one listen to this album and you will be hooked and when you are, tell your friends.
on 29 August 2008
Some years ago an Irish friend of mine took me to an Aslan gig during a trip to Ireland and I was instantly hooked!

Since then I have bought some of their studio recordings, but I have to say this live recording beats them all. The quality of the recording is excellent and captures the live feeling as well as any recording can do.

For those of you who don't know Aslan it is worth adding that they are a long established band in Ireland with a large following when they venture out on tour. For some strange reason (record company politics it would seem) they never really made it outside Ireland, which is a bit strange in my view.

If you do not yet own any Aslan albums this would be a good place to start; as well as many of their greatest songs this CD also includes two excellent cover versions - one of Rolling Stone's 'Angie' and one of Pink Floyd's 'Wish you were here'. My general view is that bands shouldn't do cover versions unless they can add something new to the song, and Aslan certainly do that ... Christy Dignam's voice fits these two songs perfectly, and much as I hate to admit it Aslan's versions are better than the originals. It is almost worth getting this CD just for those two songs alone. However, the rest of the tracks are all excellent in their own right.

This is the sort of CD you can always enjoy on your own, listen to in the car or on the iPod again and again, and even put on if you have visitors around ... everybody will find it enjoyable and no-one will find it offensive.
on 26 July 2006
Watch this DVD and feel like you have been given something very special. Aslan surpass all expectations; they have fun on stage; their love of what they do is transmitted to their audience in a way that many supergroups fail to do. When they play Wish You Were Here you get the feeling that Pink Floyd didn't get it quite right; Aslan get it right from start to finish. This is a spectacular concert by a group of amazing people.
on 5 June 2007
Over the years I often heard the song "Crazy World" but never caught who it was by (was I asleep?) Approx 5 years ago (and since I now live in Ireland) I found out it was by Aslan. I have been very lucky to see the lads perform twice now in the town that I live in over the last couple of years, most recently last month, Each time has been electric to say the least... I already own Made in Dublin CD which I play frequently. I have ordered it again as I discovered that it also has a free DVD with it which you folks in the UK were lucky enough to get. I have also "Aslanised" my sister , her other half and their son - soon the whole world will know Aslan. Just buy it, you will not be disappointed.
on 6 July 2011
Just sit back, turn it up & listen to 'This Is'. Must be one of the best live tracks of all time, Youtube it if you don't believe me ! Great band from Dublin who should've had world domination. Hard working, honest & technically gifted, this album is a must have for any real music fan. 10/10.
on 6 February 2004
A good friend of mine asked “heard of Aslan?” “Who” was the answer. “Listen and learn you may like them” I shoved the cd in the yoke while I was driven home by my gorgeous girlfriend (sorry brownie points and all that, he he). Expecting the Steps I got Stairway to Heaven, I quickly sobered up as I listened to the first 20secs of each track. Rarely music makes the hairs on my neck stand on end (U2-1, Alanis-1hand, Badly Drawn-Shining) Aslan have rare brevity, depth and a awesome tunes. So why have I never heard of them BMG! A recommend Made in Dublin to everyone and suggest BMG stump up a few quid to enlighten the rest of the planet to something real important!
on 14 May 2004
Made in Dublin is another great album from aslan. I have seen them play here in Ireland many times and they only make you wish for more. I also would like to add that, the "Live In Vicar Street" album is one of there best. They are also playing in belfast for the festival this summer and that news is Hot off the press as they played in the trinity lodge belfast on wednesday. They plan to be big in the UK so watch out for them. This news comes personally form my good friend Christy Dignam (Lead Singer) Keep up the good work lads
on 26 August 2013
I lost this CD years ago and it wa great to be able to get it from Amazon. the CD was in perfect condition, it was great to listen to the classic hits allmover again