Format: DVD|Change

on 13 October 2003
I attanded this gig on a balmy hot August day with my wife (dont laught) all the other bands just didnt have it, AC/DC came on with the sun setting and BHAM!!!
The most intense 2 hours, the power and sheer size of the set was awesome, we left the festival and felt ellated, well I did anyway. When the Video came out it was another classic AC/DC concert everything was there, even I might add some bad notes from Angus, I'm glad he left those in. But as per usual an average Video player and TV just cant give you the power from this gig, well thats about to end.
I got hold of the Led Zeppelin DVD and with DTS and 5.1 it just blows you away, Stiff Upper Lip on DVD does the same. Get this DVD, its one hell of a ride, turn the volume up sit back and lap it up, your in for one hell of a treat..DVD 5.1 and AC/DC.
on 11 May 2006
Hello all. I must say I'm so glad I bought this - after some of the negative views by others who don't really know what they're talking about... on the question of over dubbing:

The only problem with the DVD is that there is a danger it is a bit over produced - too many cameras and angles, but this can be justified by the size of the stage and trying to cover all of the action (especially keeping track of Angus!)

The other thing to take into account is that these guys have been going 30 years and have developed such a unique and tight sound that it is often hard for people to believe that this is actually a LIVE! peformance (There would be huge legal implications for Sony/Epic if they used studio recordings - believe me, they just wouldn't do it! Especially with the laws on this sort of thing being tightened up)

Also, there are problems with bounce back from the gigantic speakers filling the park which means you'll occasionally get problems with camera angles and the sound matching up.

There have been comparisons with the Led Zeppelin DVD but this is impossible- the settings are completely different, the music is completely different etc etc but both prove that the bands of old just have something that bit extra than all of the current drossy, samey, weak stuff out today.

Angus is know as one of the best guitarists of our time (along with Page and Hendrix) because of the technical, note perfect everytime, genius riffs that he can play for hours on end without ever missing a beat - another reason that this isn't overdubbed.

This is a collosal DVD and well worth the money (disregard the nay-sayers) - It even got my old gran (she's 92) out of her wheelchair and through all of the arthritic pain - she was goose stepping and head banging along with Angus! Sure, I had to call the ambulance afterward, but she had a smile on her face as she was being stretchered out. Young and old, all will enjoy!
33 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2003
Okay, this is filmed around 3/4 way through the Razors Edge world tour of '91. The tour schedule looks hectic, almost a gig in a different city every second night. You know that with that kind of schedule the band might be exhausted, but boy will they know their songs. They do, however, take a 4 day break before Donnington - and it shows - rock solid and excrutiatingly tight, they storm through all the classics with the sound quality so good you could mistake it for the albums. Make no mistake, no one sounds like AC/DC, they are, simply, one of the greatest rock bands of all time, and this DVD is a testament to that fact. This is 2 hours of heavy rock - delivered by the titans of rock, and captured perfectly. On the back of the DVD packaging there is some marketing spiel, "...one of the greatest live concert documents of all time" - this time it's true.
on 22 March 2009
Yep this is more like it..The no Bull blu ray was a bit of a let down as far as picture quality went.This Donnington transition is a breath of fresh air.Firstly the picture quality and the camera work are even more stunning than on my original dvd version.The sound is much more defined on my 5:1 set up.Considering this is an older recording than No Bull,you would think the total opposite.Its a must for all AC/DC fans wanting to see and hear them at their best.It contains all the classic tracks plus more.If you're new to the AC/DC sound or just another old timer like me,buy it you wont be Dissapointed.
Ok, Ok, lets get one thing straight.
Yes this is a bit of a white lie calling this a "LIVE" perfomance dvd, the actual sound you hear is NOT the soundtrack from the Donnigton concert although the visual footage is.
BUT (and its a big but)
If you have had the privalage to see these people LIVE then you will know that the are more than capable of comming across with the goods, so Ok yeah we have been sort of duped by sony but its not as if its done with any malice.
In short the concert is fantastic, just looking at the sheer vastness of the crowd is awesome (a view from the stage at one point shows that the crowd almost disapear in the middle distance) A helicopter with on board camera crew is a nice touch and gives some fantastic shots of the crowd/stage.
If you already have "No Bull" and/or "Stiff Upper Lip" then I would recomend buying this dvd if only for the extras as the track listings never really change in an AC/DC show.
Fantastic show
Fantastic camera work
Fantastic track listing
Buy it, sit back and enjoy.
I hope this was of some help to your purchase.
on 14 November 2015
Classic AC/DC concert before they decided to tamper with the sound for a release on this DVD version. I agree with the person who gave it one star - the call and response before 'Jailbreak' was unnecessary and this re-mastered version has the sound out of sync. The VHS version was the proper version and I really don't know why they changed it.
However, this is a classic AC/DC concert and is still one of their best full-length DVD concerts, along with 'Live At River Plate' and 'Let There Be Rock'.
on 27 August 2009
This is , undoubltadly, the best live gig I own on DVD! AC/DC rocks generally, but this live DVD makes it all come good. The show itself features some preety cool props:
1) A giant inflatable Angus head with devil horns and a tail during "Hell ain't a Bad Place to be."
2) A huge church bell during "Hells Bells."
3) A giant inflatable Rosie during "Whole lotta Rosie"
4) A simply HUGE inflatable Angus who drops its trousers (pants) during "Let there be Rock", and reveals its Union Jack underwear, and
5) Over a dozen real cannons that fire for about 3 minutes at the end of "For Those about to Rock (We Salute You)."

Now, you might be reading this thinking "Hmm, why haven't they given it 5*?" Well for 2 reasons *(1/2 a * of for each.)

1) The box lies. The cameras do not follow a particular member of the band throughout the concert. There are 3 for Angus, and, as far as I can remember, only one for the other band members, and none at all for the drummer!! And only the ones on Angus actually look at the same person for the whole song; on the others the cameramen always get distracted, primarily by Angus.

2) Bit of a petty complaint, this one. During "Let there be Rock", Angus Young goes to a platform in the crowds for a brief time. Great. Except it takes him 5 minutes to get there, and 5 minutes to get back. I got SO BORED!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you love AC/DC, or just wanna try them out as something new, go for it! Just don't buy it purley for the camera focus thing, and try not to get bored. Just fast forward, because, trust me on this, the rest of the concert is totally worth it!
on 10 January 2013
Once upon a time (is it really so long ago?) I, and many thousands of other people, made my way to Donnington for the annual Monsters of Rock festival, headlined by AC/DC.

I'm sure there must have been people in attendance who were drawn by the headline act, but that certainly that wasn't the case for myself and the people I knew at the time. Second on the bill was Metallica, lower down Queensryche, and the buzz seemed to be about these acts. Certainly not the aging "has beens" with their name at the top of the posters.

On the day I recall Queensryche being as good as hoped for, while Metallica were not quite so, and then we waited for AC/DC with more a feeling of "ok, we're here so may as well see what it is like" then anything that could be described as anticipation.

I include this information not to insult the band, or their fans, but to put what happened next (and what is presented on this release) into some kind of context. Because, what did happen, is they came on to stage and proceeded to deliver an absolute rock n roll masterclass.

They won't ever win any awards for sophistication and innovation, but they have found a formula that works for them and polished to perfection. And, there is definitely a place in the world (and in any self respecting music fans collection) for this type of perfection.

By modern day standards, the show is basic with visual effects limited by the technology of the day to items such as large blow up figures, and (of course) the obligatory cannons. This is an "old fashioned" rock and roll show, and the band give a lesson in how it should be done. The music is tight (overdubbed on this release? I don't know, but I can say I was impressed by how good the band were on the day), and the performance is non stop energy from start to finish.

The audio quality is superb throughout, and the video is somewhere between ok to good due to being rather grainy in places. The show was shot on 35mm film, and this grain would be my only real criticism although it didn't detract from my enjoyment in anyway.

Is the film as good as being there? Well, no concert film can ever manage that, but for those of us that were lucky enough to be so this makes a great reminder of a superb show. And overall, I would have no reservations in recommending this release to everyone else.
on 25 October 2013
I'd been meaning to buy this video/DVD for about 20 years, having owned the 2-CD album of AC/DC Live from this tour since the early 1990s.

And I'm certainly glad that I've finally taken the plunge. The visuals, with all the different camera angles, keep you interested without feeling that there are too many cuts. And I thought the sound was very good, with good stereo separation.

I went for the 2009 Sony release, and certainly didn't notice any negative instances of overdubbing or re-recording (as mentioned by other reviewers) while I was watching it.

This is a great setlist, ranging from Bon Scott era classics to The Razor's Edge (one of my favourites), which was their most recent album at the time.

One of the hightlights for me was "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", which sounds great - I didn't even know that I like it so much!

As well as a few tracks where you can watch a camera that follows just one of the band members for the whole song, extras include a commentary by Angus and Malcolm Young on the event, and a few words of background information on each of their albums.

If you like AC/DC but don't own this, it's time you did! It's the Brian Johnson-fronted line-up at the peak of their powers!
on 28 July 2004
I had to buy this DVD because I was there! I would've given this 5 stars had it not been for the dubiousness of the 'live' sound. However this recording really does capture the excitement and sheer joy of Messers Young et al leaping onstage and assaulting our senses with 2 hours of fantastic rock making me forget my sunburn and not mind at all when the night turned cool and drizzly. The sound is great, but live it was excellent. Still this is the next best thing to seeing the greatest live rock band in the world (without the damp grass and Metallica fans). I would like to heartily recommend it.