Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 13 October 2003
I attanded this gig on a balmy hot August day with my wife (dont laught) all the other bands just didnt have it, AC/DC came on with the sun setting and BHAM!!!
The most intense 2 hours, the power and sheer size of the set was awesome, we left the festival and felt ellated, well I did anyway. When the Video came out it was another classic AC/DC concert everything was there, even I might add some bad notes from Angus, I'm glad he left those in. But as per usual an average Video player and TV just cant give you the power from this gig, well thats about to end.
I got hold of the Led Zeppelin DVD and with DTS and 5.1 it just blows you away, Stiff Upper Lip on DVD does the same. Get this DVD, its one hell of a ride, turn the volume up sit back and lap it up, your in for one hell of a treat..DVD 5.1 and AC/DC.
on 11 May 2006
Hello all. I must say I'm so glad I bought this - after some of the negative views by others who don't really know what they're talking about... on the question of over dubbing:

The only problem with the DVD is that there is a danger it is a bit over produced - too many cameras and angles, but this can be justified by the size of the stage and trying to cover all of the action (especially keeping track of Angus!)

The other thing to take into account is that these guys have been going 30 years and have developed such a unique and tight sound that it is often hard for people to believe that this is actually a LIVE! peformance (There would be huge legal implications for Sony/Epic if they used studio recordings - believe me, they just wouldn't do it! Especially with the laws on this sort of thing being tightened up)

Also, there are problems with bounce back from the gigantic speakers filling the park which means you'll occasionally get problems with camera angles and the sound matching up.

There have been comparisons with the Led Zeppelin DVD but this is impossible- the settings are completely different, the music is completely different etc etc but both prove that the bands of old just have something that bit extra than all of the current drossy, samey, weak stuff out today.

Angus is know as one of the best guitarists of our time (along with Page and Hendrix) because of the technical, note perfect everytime, genius riffs that he can play for hours on end without ever missing a beat - another reason that this isn't overdubbed.

This is a collosal DVD and well worth the money (disregard the nay-sayers) - It even got my old gran (she's 92) out of her wheelchair and through all of the arthritic pain - she was goose stepping and head banging along with Angus! Sure, I had to call the ambulance afterward, but she had a smile on her face as she was being stretchered out. Young and old, all will enjoy!
33 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2003
Okay, this is filmed around 3/4 way through the Razors Edge world tour of '91. The tour schedule looks hectic, almost a gig in a different city every second night. You know that with that kind of schedule the band might be exhausted, but boy will they know their songs. They do, however, take a 4 day break before Donnington - and it shows - rock solid and excrutiatingly tight, they storm through all the classics with the sound quality so good you could mistake it for the albums. Make no mistake, no one sounds like AC/DC, they are, simply, one of the greatest rock bands of all time, and this DVD is a testament to that fact. This is 2 hours of heavy rock - delivered by the titans of rock, and captured perfectly. On the back of the DVD packaging there is some marketing spiel, "...one of the greatest live concert documents of all time" - this time it's true.
on 22 March 2009
Yep this is more like it..The no Bull blu ray was a bit of a let down as far as picture quality went.This Donnington transition is a breath of fresh air.Firstly the picture quality and the camera work are even more stunning than on my original dvd version.The sound is much more defined on my 5:1 set up.Considering this is an older recording than No Bull,you would think the total opposite.Its a must for all AC/DC fans wanting to see and hear them at their best.It contains all the classic tracks plus more.If you're new to the AC/DC sound or just another old timer like me,buy it you wont be Dissapointed.
on 28 July 2004
I had to buy this DVD because I was there! I would've given this 5 stars had it not been for the dubiousness of the 'live' sound. However this recording really does capture the excitement and sheer joy of Messers Young et al leaping onstage and assaulting our senses with 2 hours of fantastic rock making me forget my sunburn and not mind at all when the night turned cool and drizzly. The sound is great, but live it was excellent. Still this is the next best thing to seeing the greatest live rock band in the world (without the damp grass and Metallica fans). I would like to heartily recommend it.
on 10 January 2013
Once upon a time (is it really so long ago?) I, and many thousands of other people, made my way to Donnington for the annual Monsters of Rock festival, headlined by AC/DC.

I'm sure there must have been people in attendance who were drawn by the headline act, but that certainly that wasn't the case for myself and the people I knew at the time. Second on the bill was Metallica, lower down Queensryche, and the buzz seemed to be about these acts. Certainly not the aging "has beens" with their name at the top of the posters.

On the day I recall Queensryche being as good as hoped for, while Metallica were not quite so, and then we waited for AC/DC with more a feeling of "ok, we're here so may as well see what it is like" then anything that could be described as anticipation.

I include this information not to insult the band, or their fans, but to put what happened next (and what is presented on this release) into some kind of context. Because, what did happen, is they came on to stage and proceeded to deliver an absolute rock n roll masterclass.

They won't ever win any awards for sophistication and innovation, but they have found a formula that works for them and polished to perfection. And, there is definitely a place in the world (and in any self respecting music fans collection) for this type of perfection.

By modern day standards, the show is basic with visual effects limited by the technology of the day to items such as large blow up figures, and (of course) the obligatory cannons. This is an "old fashioned" rock and roll show, and the band give a lesson in how it should be done. The music is tight (overdubbed on this release? I don't know, but I can say I was impressed by how good the band were on the day), and the performance is non stop energy from start to finish.

The audio quality is superb throughout, and the video is somewhere between ok to good due to being rather grainy in places. The show was shot on 35mm film, and this grain would be my only real criticism although it didn't detract from my enjoyment in anyway.

Is the film as good as being there? Well, no concert film can ever manage that, but for those of us that were lucky enough to be so this makes a great reminder of a superb show. And overall, I would have no reservations in recommending this release to everyone else.
on 14 June 2004
I'm not big into music DVDs but this live concert from DC has been in my player for the last 2 weeks. Maybe its the fact that there are 26 cameras buzzing around - so it dosn't get boring visually. Maybe its the excellent sound quality which I'd be happy to listen to regardless of the film. Maybe its the setlist which had all of my favourites, all played perfectly. Or simply maybe its seeing the hardest working, no messing, biggest riffing band in the world at their peak.
on 28 July 2010
AC/DC are one of the best bands in the world today. I have seen them numerous times, three times in Donington park and i was there at this show in 91. This is a great concert DVD but its not high definition. Do yourself a favor and just buy the normal version. How people can be allowed to pass this off as blu-ray is a disgrace. I bought this expecting to see an amazing high def quality concert and all i got was poor quality grainy video, betamax is better than this.
on 12 November 2003
This is truly one of the best live performances I have ever seen, an absolute classic. I own Stiff Upper Lip and No Bull but this DVD leaves them standing!!. Brians voice is fantastic and Angus (in my opinion) has never sounded better than this. This is a lesson in how to play rock music and should be watched by anyone who likes guitars and loud music. The scale of this show is immense. Highlight for me has to be the amazing versions of JailBreak and High Voltage. Nice One Lads!!! Can't wait for next tour.
on 28 July 2004
The video is better than DVD !!!
I have had AC / DC Live at Donington on video for about 10 years now and after waiting for it to come out on DVD I am quite disapointed, the sound ( and is it just me ) the picture quality is actually better on the video !?!?
I think the phrase "some things are just best left alone" comes to mind..........( I think they have just tried to hard to make the concert better for DVD )
However saying that it is one of the best concerts EVER and buying the DVD is still worth it so you can flick from song to song easier than video.........