on 19 January 2004
Er...
Yes, the CD key is in a slightly strange place. I saw it when getting the CDs from the pack to install the game though, so for me that's not enough to lose it a star.
Sure, the manual's electronic (what do you expect in slimline DVD packaging?) but it's all pretty straightforward. I've not even bothered looking at it yet and I'm several hours into the game. Hands up - who actually reads game manuals here? It's an art on the manufacturers' parts to produce software that doesn't require a huge tome. Ah well.
However. Maybe people want to look at a manual. Maybe some reviewers get frustrated because they can't find the CD key - I know I would have if I hadn't spotted it.
But the really important things you get with this pack are the games.
I mentioned above I'm some hours into the game and I'm thoroughly addicted. Almost to the point of detriment to my marriage!
I've not played online or tried the toolsets or downloaded any other modules or whatever, I'm still getting damn good value from the simgle player game.
I really cannot see the problem with this pack. Fantastic games at a bargain price. Accept you don't get a paper manual and look out for the CD key, but just buy it, ok?
on 18 February 2004
For starters this games is just about fully custamisable allowing very fine tuning of your characters look.
This is not only the good thing about this game, the story is also completely controlled by how you want to play and and story adapts to what you want. There are petty things wrong with this game like hard to find cd key and no paper manuel but the game delivers such good gameplay the you'll soon forget about these things, so buy it today or you will regret it!!!
on 2 September 2004
Well, NWN is a magnificent game. Theoretically it should go on for ever; module after module. Although NWN2 is in the pipeline for 2006.
This edition is annoying though. On my CD key code I worked out there were 288 possibilities, because A's look like R's, D's-O's -zeros are indistinguishable from each other. Anyway on my 128th entry it worked.
The game play is wonderful if you wanted to bring pen and paper D&D to computer then this is how you do it. The camera angles and manipulation are great. The story line is good(the expansions are better). There are some fantastic modules outhere on the web , for more and more quests. Go-online and play with some mates or strangers.
Ignore the problem with the Key-code it only takes a little bit of effort and utilizing some WWII enigma code work. But who really cares. In fact the wait and the effort made it more enjoyable. For hours of fun and a loss of reality buy this Classic game. (Should add: PDF manual is a bit crap and paper based one would be better but its 20 quid!!!!!)
on 6 October 2003
NWN is definitely one of the best games I have ever played. The plot is interesting, comes with good animation and even decent music.
I have to admit, one of the things that really affect a game for me is character creation. I like being able to create a unique character and I'm very picky about how they will look/sound etc. NWN and the expansion pack offer many different options, that really appealed to me.
I have never played the D&D games, mostly because I havent been given a chance to in the small town I live in, so I cant compare this game to the original pencil and paper. All I can say is that this is one of my favourite games and that I hope all the future versions and add-ons live up to the original.
on 23 July 2004
Neverwinter Nights itself is a brilliant game, but everything about this 'Gold Edition' suggests that Atari are just trying to squeeze out every last ounce of profit for the minimum possible outlay. I regret buying this version, and I'm going to think long and hard before letting Atari have any more of my money.
I had the same problems with the serial codes as many other people (to see just how many, go to the official Neverwinter Nights message board at the Bioware homepage and search for 'cd key'). Not only was the code for the original game illegible ('O's, 'D's and zeros were indistinguishable, as were 'R's and 'A's - it took me nearly two hours to get it right), but the codes were in the wrong boxes! I had to use the Shadows of Undrentide key to install Neverwinter Nights and vice versa. Very shoddy indeed.
The lack of a paper manual or map is also extremely mean - compare this package to Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition, in which you get a full manual, a large map and BOTH expansion packs for roughly the same price.
on 1 September 2004
What a cracking game, forget the stigma surrounding D&D games, just buy this game and get stuck in, avoiding the real world for a few hours aint gonna turn you insane. This game combines great graphics and a wonderfull story to keep you busy, a real sense of achievment is found when you complete a taks or quest, all together a bloody good game, worth 5 stars all round in my opinion. Play this game, its your 1st Quest.
on 20 April 2004
I won't repeat what has been written below but the problem I had with myCD key was the font used for the sticker: the A's were indistinguishablefrom the R's, and the D's looked like O's. After a [fairly] long-windedprocess of elimination, the key was accepted.
Game is good tho'!
on 25 November 2003
This is not the same as the official American NWN Gold package.
There is no printed game manual included, only online PDF files. The contents include the 4 CDs in two DVD cases, with the key stuck on behind. Atari are cheapskates.
Get the original version with a nice think ringbound manual.
on 7 December 2003
You get what you pay for and this quality of this release is reflected in the price. Gold editions and re-releases normally come with no frills documentation or extras, but this one really does seem poor. Finding the product key behind the cds took me quite a while and I was disappointed to not be able to thumb through a manual whilst the game was installing. Pro's - great game at a good price. Cons - loses some of the Bioware magic.