on 30 December 2007
Let's get one thing completely straight. I'm relatively new to the Rolling Stones. I grew up a Bowie fanatic and have dibbled and dabbled with all kinds of classic rock - Pink Floyd, The Who etc. The Stones I would give a casual listen to, such as the 'Forty Licks' album. Then a work colleague lent me this to have a look at and with an open mind I gave it a go. I was completely and utterly mesmerised, blown away, knocked out cold by the awesome live music contained on these discs. I am not exaggerating. After seeing these 'old men' in action, my admiration of Oasis, U2 et al took an instant tumble. I own many concert DVDs: The Who, Pink Floyd, Bowie, New order, but this is without question the most spectacular of them all. If anybody doubts the Stones, as I did, just give 'Midnight Rambler' a whirl on the New York disc. This is the single greatest live performance I have ever seen. Everything, the guitar, drums, timing, vocals, and, not least the amazing stage presence of Sir Michael (20 years my senior) have to be seen to be believed. I got this for Christmas side by side with Queen live at Wembley. While Freddie wows me with his stage presence and vocals, Mick Jagger does even more and I find his whole persona magnetic. While Bowie wil always be my favourite artist for his sheer diversity and creativity,as a live act I do not think this group can be beat. They are as near to perfection as you can get and they actually look to enjoy every darned minute on stage. One watch is enough to make you go out and buy the classic Stones albums from the 60s and 70s. I think a lot of todays 'groups' would pack up and call it a day after seeing this, especially Jumpin' Jack Flash and the way Jagger dances for 5 full minutes as he whips the Twickenham crowd into a frenzy. And to think I thought he didn't deserve a knighthood! Go and treat yourself to this DVD masterpiece. Sound, colour, picture quality, music, packaging - the lot -completely and utterly magnificent in every respect.
on 1 July 2017
brilliant well worth a look
on 9 January 2004
The whole experience on this DVD is excellent. The picture quality and sound quality are superb, and the combination of visual entertainment combines with the music so that even some of the tracks that I am not so keen on, and would not listen to on CD, I have watched with great pleasure.
Having been a lifelong Stones fan, I found this set superb, and enjoyed the documentary about the setting up of the concerts. It demonstarted the total professionalism of the band and the team around them.
on 16 November 2016
Excellent
on 7 March 2017
Well worth it my dad loves this!
on 2 December 2016
A+++++
on 8 December 2003
I first heard the Stones live back in the heady days of the sixties when they were a bunch of mopheads playing blues in pubs and clubs in London. They were exciting to listen to and watch then, and judging by this magnificent set they still are except they are far more accomplished and have a much bigger sound.
This superb package covers so much of the bands material and approach to their music it is difficult to pick out the highlights. They still play the blues wonderfully just listen to "I just wanna make love to you" and "Rock me Baby". In fact there are many songs on this dvd that the Stones have not performed live before or not for many years; "Bitch" "Star Star" "You got me Rocking" also soul standards "Love Train", "I can't turn you loose" and "Going to a Go Go".
What dominates the whole series of three concerts and other takes is the sheer quality of musicianship and dedication by the band. Make no mistake these are not slipshod perormances, they play as a professional tight band but with some excellent solos; Ronnie Woods' guitar on Can't you hear me knocking" is some of the best he has played, Keith Richard let's loose some wicked guitar as though he has a machine gun in his hand, Mick performs a few growling harmonica solos. Throughout Charlie Watts is playing as though he is a 20 year old and is better than ever. What an inspired addition is bassist Darryl Jones , his funky beats give so much depth and groove to the band. Something else that stands out is the added prominence given to the Stones backing musicians, Chuck Leavell boogying on the keyboards, Bobby Keys Rocking sax, the soulful vocalists, Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin all give their heart out in so many stirring numbers. I cannot pick out any one track for special mention so many are so good. It will take you hours to delve through this wonderful collection , there is also a delightful documentary from behind the scenes that reveals the hard work and attention to detail that all the band give to their performances, even down to the set design. This set is like a large coffee table book that is made to pick through and every page is a delight. Enjoy! (one postcript, will there be a "live" album to compliment this dvd? and will the Rolling Stones please record an album of blues standards!)
on 22 February 2016
PERFECTO.
on 3 May 2010
Absolutely brilliant! Hours of entertainment. Great behind scenes, great music. Stones at their best.
Really good arrangements, and able to choose your favorite tracks and scenes.
If you're a stones fan, buy it, you will luv it.
on 18 November 2003
Being a Stones fan and seeing Madison Square Garden and Twickenham shows,I was eagerly awaiting the Four Flicks DVD set!After a lot of hours spread over 2 days watching the 4 discs,all my expectations were more than I ever believed possible.The camera-work,sound,bonus features,were all the best I have ever seen or heard on a music DVD.Starting with the documentary disc which was realy interesting in looking at what go's on in the world of the Rolling Stones when they are on tour!Lots of bits of rehearsal footage and informal chats within the band.The New York show was brilliant as Madison Square Garden is a great indoor arena,the Stones were in top form and played a great setlist!This included Midnight Rambler,Can't you hear me knockin'as well as the old favourites.Twickenham is my personal best show of the tour as I was in the 4th row that night!It was the first time the Stones have played Twickenham Rugby Ground .............the first time any band have played there!Atmosphere of the day is reflected at the start of DVD with scenes of outside the stadium and then arial views of stadium and huge crowd and then breaks into the first number.......Brown Sugar,and the crowd go's wild!This was a fantastic show and the DVD clearly shows this.The Olympia theatre show was a small intimate show that all diehard Stones fans would love to see but tickets for these shows were very hard to come by,so this excellant DVD of the gig is the next best thing.Plenty of tracks like No Expectations,Hand of Fate and Live With Me would appeal to the diehard fans as well as a few soul numbers and old faves like Start me up,Honkey Tonk Women and of course the song they usually have as an encore,Jumping Jack Flash.All in all,4 terrific DVD's with plenty of added features like back-stage pass and band commentary which you can add on to show while watching if you so desire.The best music DVD's I have in my collection.
0Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse