on 19 February 2010
Heavy duty, easy to use, perfect masher! Way more than I ever planned to spend on a humble potato masher, but then I thought, its something I will use almost every day and I've been though a few 'cheapos' already, so why not try it. This masher is solid and sturdy and feels like it will last a life-time. Brilliant in non-stick pots as the coating is non-marking. If you're looking for a hardwearing masher, this is it.
on 6 April 2010
Very comfortable to use, easy to clean and best of all, it does what it's supposed to, it mashes potatoes!
Doesn't look like it will break anytime in the near future either. Costs a little more than most potato mashers but I think it will be worth it in the long haul.

Edit:
I've knocked two stars off my original review.
It still works, it's still intact but the silicone surrounding the metal seems to have picked up a smell of dishwasher tablets even though it is marked as dishwasher safe. I never had a dishwasher to put it in before and I wish I hadn't put it in the first time. Just to be sure, avoid putting in the dishwasher, just rinse under the tap as soon as you've finished with it to avoid potato drying on.
on 8 May 2010
This potato masher has a comfortable grip which does not hurt your hand. Excellent idea having the silicon coating for use in all makes of pans. Good price, does what it says!!!
on 7 May 2011
The masher looks as if the design has been well thought out. The gadget is actually metal so it feels strong and rigid but the base plate and the sides are covered with a thick, transparent plastic coating and the top has a horizontal, slightly cushioned rubber handle. The holes in the baseplate are rectangular and looked large enough to mash well. The plastic coating makes it ideal for using in non-stick pans.

Having been used to a traditional masher I found using this one a little strange at first. Pushing weight down onto the flat handle seemed an unwieldy action although I did feel that it gave a lot of pressure. The baseplate easily went through the potatoes and quickly started to produce a good mashed product. There are strange little wings of plastic that are described in the literature that came with the masher as scrapers to help with the mixing of the mash. I really can't see what they are supposed to do and I certainly couldn't find any way of holding the masher that facilitated me being able to use them to scrape around the saucepan. The potato barely stuck to the mashing plate at all and so the whole process was very effective.

Besides getting used to the rather odd feeling action of using this masher I have found that is causes problems when mashing even a reasonably small amount of potato. The flat handle means that your fingers are underneath the handle and when pushed into a pan the efficient baseplate forces ribbons of boiling hot potato up onto your fingers, this is both uncomfortable and unhygienic.
The product does say that it is dishwasher safe and mine has been through the dishwasher many times and as yet is not showing any signs of damage, the rubber is not marked and the plastic has not become discoloured or brittle.

The masher is an unusual shape so can't be stored in the standard utensil jars.

I have really been left with mixed feelings about this purchase. It was bought to mash potatoes and it does this job well and produces smooth, fluffy results every time so in that sense it is a success. However the awkward movement produces a pain in my wrist very quickly and added to the scolds from the hot potato on my fingers I can't say it is very user friendly.
on 20 November 2010
Good item. Well designed. Easy to use as it has a handle that is easy to hold and doesn't hurt - like so many other potato mashers. Couldn't see it in the usual stores etc - so it was very useful to order online and receive within a few days.
on 13 July 2011
Well, that would be me. (I can't believe I'm saying this). I'd been bumbling along with a clapped out, single stem masher for years 'anguishing' over whether to buy a potato ricer, but they always seem such a 'faff'. In the end I plumped for this and it is great. I went for this 'pro' model because of the silicone coating which will protect a new set of pans I bought(the excellent Anolon by Raymond Blanc). It is very easy to use, mashes perfectly and is deep enough for the biggest of my pans. Buy one.
on 18 February 2013
My Mum wanted a new masher and I bought this based on other Amazon reviews. They were right, this is great! The non-stick plastic coating is good and means all your saucepans are protected from being scratched. The holes are small enough to mash properly with no lumps. Also the handle is a good, comfortable design. It's better than the traditional 'stick' style handle.
on 24 February 2013
Bought this to replace a cheap plastic one that I had had for many years. This is a steel masher but it is coated in plastic so can be used without the possibility of scraping non-stick pans. It works very well and is very easy to clean, just rinsing under the tap does the job.
on 5 November 2012
Arrived by the date stated with no problems.My wife has arthritis and struggled to use a masher with a vertical handle to the mashing bit(Tricky to put into words !),but this product is very good and she finds it very easy to use and very easy to clean after use.Great product and recommended.
on 17 March 2010
OXO Pro Potato MasherI have had several potato mashers over the years and this is really excellent.