on 3 September 2016
Really good cd from our Rachel, loved s club 7, and Rachel going solo was a great move, I love her version of more, more, more which I specifically bought this cd to listen to, but all the tracks are excellent.
on 18 May 2017
excellent cd, great tracks
on 28 July 2013
I didnt know Rachel Stevens until I heard this.
It is on the player continuously. Very catchy tunes. Very diverse too - for pop.
Sweet to the ears.
on 9 November 2014
I like Rachel Stevens songs but its weird that it came with a different album cover it doesn't matter just weird.
on 12 February 2015
no scratches played nicely arrived on time
on 27 May 2004
Rachel Stevens, Ex S - Club Member Delivered to us a Pop Masterpiece called "Funky Dory", it has a lot of catchy songs, delicious beats and seductive lyrics.
Rachel is still growing in many ways. Since she left "S Club", she has a more mature, fresh & cosmopolitan sound, making her the ideal pop icon.
Every song on "Funky Dory" has a "Something" that keeps you listening to the album more and more.
1. Sweet Dreams (My LA EX): The Lead Single, It has a very acoustic sound. Produced by Cathy Dennis, the song has style and the general audience liked it - My LA EX peaked at Number 2 in the UK.
2. Funky Dory: Lots of Latin Beats, Funny & Catchy Lyrics -The title track was the 2nd Single from the Album
3. Fools: Great Song - It stays in your mind. Again, Rachel is delivering to us an acoustic song.
4. Breathe In, Breathe Out - Fresh Sound, perfect for the morning, "Breathe In, Breathe Out" is a standout of the album
5. Glide: Exquisite Song, "Glide" is one of my favorites from "Funky Dory". It may sound strange at first, but it will grow on you. Pure Pop Perfection
6. Heaven Has To Wait: The "Ballad", Heaven has to wait is one of my favorite songs of 2004 (That says a Lot). Rachel shows her vocal range on this one.
7. Blue Afternoon: Relaxing Track, again Rachel scores here. "Blue Afternoon" is perfect on those rainy days or as the title says, is great in those Blue Afternoons
8. I Got The Money: It sounds good, it's a great track to listen in some nights - For a strange reason, it reminds me of a Casino
9. Little Secret: Catchy Chorus & Lyrics - This Song was the B-Side to "Sweet Dreams (My LA Ex)"
10. Solid: It's one of the strongest Tracks of the album. As the title says it's "Solid", Rachel sings very well in this one too
11. Silk: The Dark Track of the Album & the sexiest too, it's the perfect example of the new mature sound of Rachel Stevens.
12. Sweet Dreams (My LA Ex) (Bimbo Jones Club Mix). What More Can I Say?. It's A Remix of Sweet Dreams (An Excellent Track) - and It was remixed by Bimbo Jones = Excellent.
I'm Hoping that Rachel will be with us for a long time in the music industry, ahe deserves it. Now, I'm Looking forward for her new single "Some Girls" that will be released very soon.
Thanks for reading this review. Your Vote will be very appreciated.
6 people found this helpful
on 17 February 2005
Rachel Stevens, Ex S - Club Member just delivered to us a Pop Masterpiece called "Funky Dory", which include a lot of catchy songs, delicious beats and seductive lyrics.
Rachel is still growing in many ways. Since she left the massive "S Club", she has a more mature, fresh & cosmopolitan sound, making her the ideal pop icon.
Also, every song on "Funky Dory" has a 'special something' that keeps you hooked to the album.
Let's review the album tracks:
1. Some Girls: The Sport Relief's single of 2004, "Some Girls" it's an electro flavoured track ala Goldfrapp's "Strict Machine" -which exploded on the USA dance chart a couple of months ago-, easily one of the best tracks of the year !
2. Sweet Dreams (My LA EX): The Lead Single of the album, It has a very acoustic sound to it. Produced by Cathy Dennis, the song has an unique style and *obviously* the mainstream audience liked it - My LA EX peaked at Number 2 in the UK.
3. Funky Dory: Fabulous track, which has an original sound & strangely catchy lyrics - The title track was the 2nd Single from the Album, but it was sadly overlooked by the UK public back in December 2003 =(
4. Fools: Great song - It will stay in your mind for a while, you have been warned!. Again, Rachel is delivering to us an acoustic pop song. This one was also included on Disney's 'The Princess Diaries 2' soundtrack, but with 'less seductive' lyrics
5. Breathe In, Breathe Out: Fresh & uplifting track, perfect for a sunny day because of it's happy lyrics & strings, "Breathe In, Breathe Out" is a standout of the album and shines with it's own light
7. Glide: Exquisite Song, "Glide" it's one of my favorites from "Funky Dory". It may sound strange at first -it has weird beats in the background-, but it will grow on you quickly. Pure Pop Perfection !
7. Heaven Has To Wait: The Big "Ballad" of the album, Heaven has to wait includes strings & a sad piano on the background. Rachel shows her vocal range on this one.
8. More, More, More: Latin-esque beats, faux-samba sounding track delivered by Stevens, the album version it's a bit weak, though the single version it's dance tastic !!!
9. Blue Afternoon: Relaxing Track, once again Rachel scored some points here. "Blue Afternoon" it's perfect for those rainy days or as the title says, it's great for a listening experience on those Blue Afternoons :P
10. I Got The Money: It sounds good, it's a great track to listen at night - For a strange reason, it reminds me of a Casino, Don't know why lol !
11. Little Secret: Catchy Chorus & Lyrics - This Song was the B-Side to "Sweet Dreams (My LA Ex)", it would have been a great single choice.
12. Solid: It's one of the strongest Tracks of the album, and as the title says is "Solid" :P, Rachel sings very well in this one too - showcasing her beautiful voice.
13. Silk: The 'Dark' soundsing track of the album & the sexiest one too, it's the perfect example of the new mature sound of Rachel Stevens.
Hopefully, Rachel will be in the music industry for a long time , she deserves it. Now, I'm waiting for her new solo release. Pick up this one - you won't be dissapointed
Thanks for reading this review
8 people found this helpful
on 18 January 2004
This is definatly worth a listen, it is brilliant!
Sweet Dreams my laex- Excellent, catchy, different,and really good!10/10
Funkydory- This is also an excellent song,definite single material,Rachel sounds really good!10/10
Fools- This is a bit more upbeat, it has good good parts, and could be a future single for Rachel!9/10
Breath in, breath out- This is aboustly brilliant, really refreshing,really different, definite single material.10/10
Glide- this is brilliant, a interesting album track 9/10
Heaven has to wait- this is the only ballad on the album, but definetly one of the best tracks on the album as well, in this song Rachel Proves she can sing ballads well,as well as more upbeat tracks.9/10
Blue afternoon- definite single material, really catchy and different.10/10
I got the money- i wasn't sure about this at first but once i got into it, i couldn't stop listenening! 8/10
Little secret- A good catchy tune! 9/10
Solid- this is really different and exciting, Rachel once again sounds really good on this track! 8/10
Silk- this could be playes in a bond film, as soon as you hear the begginning, you know it is going to be a good song! 9/10
Overall this an excellent album, i am a former s club fan,and i was very upset when they split, i am also a Rachel Stevens Fan, but i have tried to be as honest as i can, i do think this is a really good debut album! 10/10
One person found this helpful
on 19 June 2010
Funky Dory is an amazing album, and the best album of Rachel.

Some Girls:an incredible song, and is the best choice to open the album , an electronic-dance-pop song which makes you to get up and dance. 5/5

Sweet Dreams My L.A. Ex: another amazing song,and my favorite rachel's song, it has an amazing guitar intro and a killer chorus and two amazing dance interludes. 5/5

Funky Dory: the second single of the album, it has a catchy combination of pop and a little of latin rhytms and very good lyrics. 5/5

Fools: It has a little kinda country rhytms, a cool and funny song. 4/5

Breathe In, Breathe On:it has a really cool R&B-Pop beat and a amazing lyrics, which talk about embrace the life, and live each single day giving your best. 5/5

Glide: a cool song but isn't one of my favorites, altough the beat is good. 3/5

Heaven Has To Wait: is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, beautfil lyrics, and amazing piano intro and a flawless vocal performance, definitely the best song in the album and a hit-single choice. 5/5 (If I can rate it more it would be 10/5 LOL!!!)

More More More: It has a very catchy disco beat, great song and perfect for dance all night long! 4/5

Blue Aternoon: a great mellow song, perfect for a sad or bored afternoon or nigth, it also has a flawless vocal performance!! 5/5

I Got The Money: It Has a great R&B beat, it's a funny song with an amazing lyrics. 5/5

Little Secret: A funny and catchy song with an incredible beat at the beginnig. 3.5/5

Solid: It has a good rhythm, and a prechorus which brings me back some bee gees' songs (I don't know why? lol). 4/5

Silk: another incredible song, it's the darkest song on the album, incredible beat, good lyrics and flawless vocal performance, a completely sexy song. 5/5

Some Girls Remix: a great 6-minutes song, very good song, perfect for a good dance at a party. 5/5

FUNKY DORY: 4.6/5!!!!
Definitely an amazing album, you should buy it if you are a pop lover (like me!!).
One person found this helpful
on 28 September 2003
Coming out of the success of S Club, Rachel was thought of as the sexy one, but Jo was given all the singing credit. With "Funky Dory" Rachel proves that she too has a magnificent voice and is capable of carrying her own. After hearing this album, I am overly impressed with every song. Some may feel she is destined to fare poorly as did the solo Spice Girls, but Rachel will and should be around for a long time coming.
"Sweet Dreams My LA Ex" - everyone knows it...10/10
"Funky Dory" - although the title seems cheesy, this song is very awesome. It's different than any S Club song. 10/10
"Fools" - This song is good, but the chorus had to grow on me. It's kind of a humorous one. 9/10
"Breath In Breath Out" - This is similar to S Club...it isn't the strongest song on the album, but is still pretty good. 7/10
"Glide" - speechless. 10/10
"Heaven Has To Wait" - The only ballad, Rachel uses this to show her vocal strength. A really sweet song as well. 9/10
"Blue Afternoon" - Somewhat resembles Emma Bunton's "Maybe"...I like it. 8/10
"I Got The Money" - This is my least favorite song on the album. Rachel sings of the fun and happiness she and her man will have. "You got the time, I got the money. We'll have it all and just be happy." 7/10
"Little Secret" - The B-side to Sweet Dreams. 10/10
"Solid" - This one doesn't really stick with you. I actually can't remember it too well. 8/10
"Silk" - AWESOME SONG! WAY different than S Club. Very proud of her on this one...it's addictive. 10/10
"Sweet Dreams My LA Ex (Remix)" - As on the S Club albums, the remix is way too long and drawn out. It isn't as pointless as the "Alive" remix, but can still get tiring. 8/10
While each song is strong and brings something new to the table, my personal favorites are "Sweet Dreams My LA Ex", "Funky Dory", "Glide", "Little Secret", and "Silk". S Club fans will enjoy this album as well as new fans as Rachel appeals to a much wider audience. I suggest that EVERYONE buy this cd...it is definitely one to be proud to own.
5 people found this helpful