Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 December 2004
What a wonderful talent she is! So young, but very mature, with a great voice, a lovely personality and a head that is not big, but is screwed on correctly. All this can be gleaned from this CD/DVD version of the album.
It is a wonderful assortment of styles and sets her apart from a lot of other singers, although she will be compared to people like Norah Jones. The DVD, highlighting her in concert at Croydon's Fairfield Hall, as well as her talking about the album, band and videos, shows her to be unspoilt and as good live as on record.
She has a great set of songs here, all of them worthy of their place on the album. Bearing in mind Mike Batt was first known for the Wombles (bless them!), half of the album tracks are his compositions.
However, there are other composers' songs here - she does a very good reading of John Mayall's "Crawling Up A Hill", an equally excellent version of James Shelton's "Lilac Wine" .... and there are a couple of her own songs, the impressive "Belfast (Penguins and Cats)" which recall her days in that city and "Faraway Voice", a song dedicated to Eva Cassidy, whom Katie is a big fan of. This last song is nice, but too heavily influenced by Christine McVie's "Songbird" which Cassidy sang so splendidly. There's the classic Randy Newman song "I Think It's Going To Rain Today". However, the arrangement just doesn't do it for me and a the one major disappointment on the album.
Nevertheless, this edition of the album tells you more about Katie Melua and shows her to be very pretty, very talented and with a very fine voice.
Finally, I must say the collection of musicians on the album and the DVD should get a mention - they are all very wonderful. Mike Batt has brought together some serious experience which, no doubt, from whom Miss Melua will learn from. Just one other point about the concert, I wish Mr Batt had not worn that top on stage - it deflects a little from the star attraction!
I'm not certain what Katie's follow-up album should sound like. Perhaps she will need to avoid being too similar to Eva Cassidy (or anyone else, for that matter) - she has a different kind of voice and has enough about her to develop her own style. but I am already looking forward to it.
on 18 May 2017
KM is like "lilac wine" and will taste better with time.A star is born.Such maturity in her voice at this tender age----well managed,she will become self-fulfilled and bring joy to the lucky ones she choses.
on 12 September 2017
Excellent value and as with Katie Melua's all recordings does her justice.
on 17 March 2017
Great.
on 19 April 2017
Great cd
on 30 January 2014
Katie has grown and matured in time and so has her music, its always quality and always a terrific listen, this alnbum is of no exception to the rule.
on 30 September 2005
I stopped buying CD's in this genre ages ago because everyone seemed to come from the same 'factory'. Then I caught "The closest thing to crazy" on the Terry Wogan show. I was so bowled over by it that I stopped the car to listen properly. What an amazing voice! An order for the CD followed quickly and I was not disappointed. This girl is undoubtedly one to watch. About 18 months on I'm still putting the headphones on late at night and playing "Lilac Wine" over and over... People keep comparing Katie with Norah Jones but her emotional involvement, dynamic & musical range, and pure artistry remind me far more of Barbra Streisand, and I can offer no greater compliment. Can't wait to hear the new album!!
on 11 September 2003
I had the chance to hear some of the tracks of CALL OFF THE SEARCH already and was blown away. Katie Melua is a new Talent discovered by Composer and Arranger Mike Batt. The Album has a jazzy and bluesy feel and reminds on old classics by Ella Fitzgerald. Katie's Voice is so brillant and she wrote some of the songs herself. Katie sings classics like "Climbing Up A Hill" as well as her own compositions like "Spider's Web".
But the real winner of the Album is her first Single. Mike Batt's new arrangement of "Closest Thing To Crazy" which has been played on BBC2 already and many Fans have signed her Guestbook on her own website [...] asking for her Album or Single.
When I first heard some of the tracks I had to think: "Ah, yes. This is exactly what I missed in our charts for all those years."
It made me feel warm and cozy and I can't wait to hear the rest of the Album.
Now finally her Album is available. Let's buy it and play that old fashioned music again.... (and again...and again...)
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2005
Gorgeous voice, marvellous melodies and sublime lyrics. This is one hell of a CD. The DVD really puts the icing on the cake as you get to see (and hear) Katie performing live and she really kicks ass.
I thought Norah Jones was good, but this is unbelievable.
on 19 February 2004
As a singer myself, there are other female singers I admire with some varying provisos, for example I might not like the way she treats a particular song, etc. It is seldom that I sit and listen with enjoyment and admiration to a whole album from a singer without much to comment on. But this young girl has an amazingly mature voice and approach, fresh, singing straight from the heart without so many of the vocal "clever" embelishments, trills and fancy panting that you hear from other young singers. Also, she sings from her lungs, and not from her head and nose! I admit that I cannot remember when I last bought a CD from a new performer; most of my purchases since getting a CD player have been re-issues of my scratched vinyls.
I do trust that the music industry does not take this girl in and muck her about, only to spit her out later on. The case in point is Elkie Brooks - a great talent and thank goodness she is still out there performing, but no thanks to the music industry!
I can thoroughly recommend this debut album - definitely value for money.