Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 September 2003
Well after the third listen the only thing I could think about was "how on earth does one bloke consistently come up with tunes like these?". Forget about the glossy production. It is the stunning melodies, very clever lyrics and Sting who is in fine voice, which makes this an incredible album. It is going to be a very big hit. But writing about music is like dancing about algebra. Go listen for yourself.
on 23 September 2003
For all Sting lovers, and even those who don't know his music, this music will appeal. Full of sensual lyrics and stunning musicianship, this is an album for any music-lover's collection.
I only got the album yesterday, and on first listen I loved it! I'm now listening to it for the 3rd or 4th time and love it more on each hearing!
on 19 September 2003
Sacred Love expresses musically what Sting appears to be in 2003: young, fit and flexible even with this greying beard of his and his age of almost 52.
The single "Send Your Love" with its chart-suitable beats and grooves proves that Sting still writes music for young people, hooking but far from being flat or a dumb repetition of popular patterns. There are also gems for long-time fans and experienced listeners: "Inside", "The Book Of My Life", "Never Coming Home Again" or "Dead Man's Rope" provide again these lyrics that make you think: "Exactly, that's how it is. How does he know I'm feeling just like that?"
Musically he more than ever weaves most different influences into each other, making it impossible to classify his music. His voice grows more versatile and precise with every new album and his use of computers as instruments adds colour to the pieces.
"The War" rocks, showing Dominic Miller's superb skills on the Electric guitar (after his recent and very successful activities in classical music), Jason Rebello reminds vividly of Kenny Kirkland when he puts a jazzy end to "Never Coming Home Again", and Mary J.Blige presents herself as a perfect duet partner on the R&B tune "Whenever I Say Your Name", a real highlight of that album.
So Sting did his old trick again - walking on in temporary music while still being faithful to himself.
Awesome!
on 18 July 2005
If you like Sting, you won't be disappointed, a great album whether you listen to it at home or driving in the car, you will soon be singing the songs, thanks again Sting
on 18 October 2003
This is Sting speaking from his soul. It's the most serious and yet somehow uplifting collection of songs he's put together for a long time. The insightful lyrics blend perfectly with the musical arrangements. You really feel that Sting has written these songs to mark a period in his life. At the same time he has caught the mood of a whole generation of 50 something baby boomers and the struggles between self and relationships. Stings music has always been heartfelt and polished but with Sacred Love he’s made it personal. The real album ends at the end of Sacred Love the last three tracks are “fillers”.
Sting's seventh studio album (2003) is a welcome addition to the collection. Here, an unconventional conventionality holds sway. It is replete with excellent lyrics, often to do with the subject of love and personal relationships - an area where Sting excels in songwriting and singing. We have songs of angry love, hopeful love, spiritual love, dead love, bitter love, strange love, and love of life. Religion in a variety of modes also features heavily: Sacred Love indeed! It is produced again by Kipper and Sting, this album possessing a good upfront sound.

Three of the tracks I can take or leave: `Stolen Car' is too contrived, whilst the production behind `The Book of My Life' simply doesn't cut it, despite the cello and sitar and the lyrics betraying a love of life. (Sting's autobiography was published in the same year.) `This War' is a U2-esque crowded rock song with an undisciplined guitar that does not accord with the discipline of the lyrics ("Make it easy on yourself. And don't do nothing.") Maybe this was intended, but the subject-matter loses its punch as a result.

Better are `Send Your Love' with its flamenco guitar and castanets, excellent lyrics ("There's no religion but sex and music") and insistent pulse; the soul-rock ballad `Whenever I Say Your Name' ("... I'm already praying"); the committed steady rock-beat of `Dead Man's Rope'; the electronic-rock sound of `Never Coming Home', closed by a solo jazz piano; the funky `Forget About the Future'; and the funky soul of the title track.

The best of the set is the opener, `Inside', with its mysterious beginning of hushed whispers. It later develops a powerful insistency betraying a breathless rage: "Love is an angry scar, The pain of instruction, Love is a violation, a mutilation, capitulation, Love is annihilation." Despite the fury, love on this CD still wins.
on 23 September 2003
Having been a big Sting fan for so many years, and with the latest album due to be released (having seen and heard a number of performances and demo's) I was looking forward to what I thought would be another quality album. Don't get me wrong, this is a well-crafted album, and there are some good songs on this album, but its not all Sting. He's invited the talented Kipper (producer and band member) to work on this album, as he did with BND and its produced an album that in the whole doesn’t sound that much like Sting. The quality is still there but the programming on this album is very visible, and at times this really doesn’t sound like Sting’s album. Perhaps this is due to the success of desert rose and a willingness to recreate a song that good, or to make Sting fit in with a more modern culture of pop music. Its not needed, this is Sting, and he will win me back when his massively talented band hit the road with live performance of the album songs, and they bring them to life.
With this album you sort of realise that the production of this album does take something away from the sound we expect from Sting, particularly when the bonus track is a live recording of 'Shape of my Hear' from the All this time concert – brilliant.
on 1 October 2003
Although there is very little that Sting has written that I don't like, I felt his last album Brand New Day lacked a certain passion - irespective of the superb production and musicianship.
But 'Sacred Love' is simply superb in every department. Passion, relevance, production, variety, surprise and brilliant riffs are all terms that spring to mind.
The man might not be great at interviews but he can sure write and perform great music. All the tracks are his own original work as usual and is co-produced by the the superb 'Kipper'. There will be two or three classics at least that come out of Sacred Love with 'This war', Whenever I say Your Name and 'Book of My Life' amongst the contenders.
I personally could have done without the extra disco mix of 'Send Your Love' but it's a minor irritation.
Overall this will appeal to everyone from the oldest Police fan to the 15 year old who can appreciate a melody.
on 9 December 2003
Well after repeated listening I have to say that it’s grown on me somewhat and I’m now feeling that maybe I was a little unfair in my earlier review. So at the risk of looking like a numpty (wont be the first time!) here’s my re-review.
I’ve listened to it an awful lot lately and indeed it has grown on me somewhat, the more I listen to it - the better it gets, and I think that’s the thing, it takes a little longer to win you over. I remember having a similar experience with ‘Soul Cages’, I had mixed feelings about that at first but it’s (probably) my favourite Sting album now.
Sacred Love is, as is usually the case, a mixture of styles, tempos and unusual time signatures. It also has a modern type ‘techno’ feel to it in places and though I’m not a big fan of drum machines et al, he has used them creatively for the most part and so it works.
I do still feel that Kipper lends too much of a hand in the production process and also that it’s being marketed to appeal to a wider audience; the remix of ‘Send Your Love’ is evidence of this. Remixes should be used as filler tracks for cd singles, not albums.
My opinion of this album has definitely changed and I do now honestly recommend it, but don’t expect to be blown away on the first listen – give it time.
Perhaps Sting should have gone for real rootsy World Music this time. Sacred Love doesn't quite work because none of the songs really grabs you and their memory fades as soon as the last notes do. The dreamy sitar on the ballad The Book Of Life is pleasant enough whilst the duet with Mary J. Blige, Whenever I Say Your Name, is friendly radio fodder. Spanish guitar, Arabian infusions and the aforementioned sitar add nice touches here and there but they don't ultimately save the album. Nor does the pulsating dance number Send Your Love (with Vicente Amigo) or its remix that ends the album. I'm sure that devoted fans will enjoy Sacred Love, but to my ears it's rather bland, lacking passion and adventure. Albums like Brand New Day, Ten Summoner's Tales and The Soul Cages will be a better investment for those who wish to investigate the music of Sting.