Customer reviews

Want One
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 February 2004
I bought this album on the strength of a magazine review, having never heard of Wainwright before. I have been astounded by how good it is from the very first play. It is hard to categorise the music as it is quite unique in modern rock music. The overwheming impression is the huge joyous scale of the music. There is a richness of musical textures and an intelligence of lyrics that are totally absorbing - but not in a serious sense - it's like someone has discovered how to liberate a new facet of music - and your soul with it. If you like melody and orchestration, but with a real driving edge, you will like this. Frankly I can hardly stop playing it, and I've had it over 3 months now. I defy you not to be singing along at the top of your voice as one crescendo follows another. I have been an avid music fan for over 40 years and I have to say this is one of the best albums it has ever been my pleasure to hear. Buy it. Support the artist. You will not be disappointed.
0Comment| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 May 2012
Until recently, i had never heard a Rufus Wainwright album ( saw him on Graham Norton, performing " Out Of The Game ", title track from new album ) Liked the song, and decided to buy the album, and check out his back catalogue.
Listened to samples on Amazon, and Want One, caught my immediate attention. Since receiving yesterday, i've had this cd on constant play. I'd already say it's in my all time top 10 favourite cd's.
It's just brilliant from first note to last ! Each song exceptional, taking you on an emotional journey, from joy to sadness, to anything inbetween. I'm a huge Billy Joel fan, and each time i hear the ballads / slower songs on this cd, i think of Billy's music. BJ, is one of the great lyricists of all time, and Rufus has his own imaginitive unique style too.
I can't recommend this cd enough ! Everyone should own a copy...if you're thinking you'd like to spend £5.00 on a cd, then you could do no wrong by buying this...because the payback would be permanent joy & pleasure ! Absolutely wonderful !! ( " Dinner At Eight " makes me cry...BEAUTIFUL !! )
PS " Out Of The Game " is a great album too, in a very similar vein to " Want One "...but Rufus, would be very hard pushed, to ever beat this effort !
on 22 August 2017
Love love play in the car all the time
on 23 September 2017
Always love the Rufus !
on 22 July 2016
A really varied and interesting album,no two songs are the same. A wonderful sound scape rich in depth and tone in some songs and just pared down piano in others. I haven't taken out if my CD player since I bought it. If you like Rufus you will love this.
on 16 August 2013
My third copy of this album, I prefer CDs to mp3s and I wear them out something rotten. Some of the tracks on here are so epic and theatrical, like vibrate, and dinner at eight. This is second only to the Poses album. Superb value, 16 good length tracks, each totally unique. If you've heard something by him and liked it buy this now, you'll love it.
on 9 May 2016
What a voice!
on 17 November 2015
FINE
on 24 November 2012
this album is sheer genius. it must in one way or another connect to each and every persons inner being. the tittle says it all. by the way this is my second purchase of the album, wore the last onr out.
on 8 April 2016
first time listen too - very enjoyable!