To be honest I didn't think this would be any good, after all, if getting good quality transfers from old records and tapes was easy then surely we would all know about it by now. But what a pleasant surprise to find that the Magix tools are very good at the job, and are nowhere near as complicated to use as I thought they might be.
When you first get started you are treated to a really easy guide to getting your record player/amplifier connected to your PC, and then it is all go!
The tools included allow you to record from your old vinyl and then by using the appropriate 'wizard' split up the recording into separate tracks. The 'wizards' also allow you to perform a variety of tasks to improve the sound quality. You can de-hiss and de-click, and also select a sample of background noise (e.g. from the beginning or end of the record) and have that noise removed from the whole track. You can also 'compress' the audio to get rid of any sudden loud bits, and there is also an equaliser to shape the sound.
After you have been using it for a while you can start fiddling with the settings, and it is possible to get better results than the automatic settings on the 'wizards'. However, the 'wizards' do a really good job anyway, so you don't need to be a sound engineer to get it to work!
I'm really pleased with the Audio Cleaning Lab and I think you will be too. It is great value and has all the features you need to get a really good copy of your old music onto your PC so you can turn it into mp3 or burn it to CD.
on 19 June 2017
Beware of the audio cleaning lab 2004 - you'll be disappointed. This standard version has an effects mastering rack, including declicker, denoiser etc for cleaning the recording. It also has stereo FX and compressor for mastering. It should also have reverb and delay (echo) but they are just there for the appearance - they are totally non-functional. Why ??
on 28 September 2003
I used to clean records but I was having problems with exporting files and I think that down to incompatabilites with Windows XP SP1 pack which was annoying, to say the least, cause I though the utility was very good.
However I decided to give this a spin *ahem* and I've copied alot of records and tapes already without any problems at all.
The manuals well written, and the utility itself has basic options that are easy to use aswell as the harder ones for more advanced users of the utility.
However I would recommend this program as its compatable with SP1 and the newer options added makes the music files sound better.
deffo a thumbs up from me.
on 2 September 2004
I wanted some software to allow me to record vinyl to my PC, clean it up and burn it to CD. This does it extremely well, is easy to use and is inexpensive. It's a nice package with which to make compilations of Cd and vinyl tracks. As an added bonus it will create MP3s, but you only get a few "rips" so I'd advise saving all your music files and converting them to MP3 in a jukebox instead (I use I-Tunes). One very small niggle is that it is very easy to overwrite wav files you have previously saved, since this software does not warn that you are over-riding a previously saved recording.
on 24 March 2004
I thought I'd save money by opting for the Standard version, rather than the Deluxe. However, I found this a false economy, since the Standard version does NOT come with the necessary audio cables to connect hi-fi and computer. Also, the Standard version will only allow you 20 mp3 recordings, after which you have to pay an additional £9.99 to upgrade to unlimited mp3 recording.
on 15 January 2004
This reviewer has used computers since 1968 and has spent long hours writing math code. My own code in the 1980's was provided free to students on short courses in the USA. I always imagined my code was good but the Magix Audio Cleaning Lab is the best software I have ever used. It has no equals!
I have de-hissed old cassettes, de-clicked old vinyl and I continue to recommend Magix ACL to everyone who will listen.
Simply superb software. Need I say more? Just buy it!