Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 25 September 2000
Superb animation , combined with the vocal skills of Joanna Lumley and Miriam Margoyles. My 5 year old with the "attention span of a gnat" was enthralled and absolutely quiet for the entire movie. A wonderful adaptation of Roald Dahl's classic. From the begining where James is under the thumb of his cruel aunts, through the magical journey with his fellow insect friends and his arrival in New York we were all captivated. A film that crosses both age and gender barriers. What more can I say.
on 25 July 2005
...are just two words I would use to describe this. I saw it yesterday for the first time, and was amazed how much fun it was. Great characterisation and animation, and the little boy is just scrummy!
My favourite (apart from James) was the Centipede, as I LOVE Richard Dreyfuss in anything. He was such a wise guy....
"That'll teach you to mess with me, you overgrown sardine - I'm from Brooklyn!"
How much I enjoyed this film just goes to show that I'm a big kid - 37 going on 7!
on 17 October 2016
got this for my 5 year old grandson and he was spellbound with it all the way through,, and of course that is all he wants to put on now ehn he is here,, I feel I know the script now,, good story for the youngsters
on 31 May 2016
If you read and enjoyed this with a young child you may well be disappointed with this version of the story which has very much had the Hollywood treatment. It deviates from the storyline considerably, introduces scary ight scenes with skeletons, robotic sharks, axe wielding creatures etc and generally looses the charm of the original book.
on 25 May 2004
No one can really say that any of Roald Dahl's books or adaptations of books are 'normal', on the contrary, they are as far from normal as you can get without straying too far into the realms of sci-fi. Don't get me wrong though, this is definately a good thing as he manages to capture the minds and the imaginations of all the children who read and watch them.
When Jame's parents are killed by a huge rhinosorus, he is sent to live with two evil women, (presumably his aunts) who treat him like a slave and make him work like a dog all day and give him very little to eat. One day James is visited by a mysterious man who gives him one hundred green crocodile tounges and tells him to use them to make his dreams come true. Minutes later he has falled and all of the crocodile tounges have jumped away into the ground. Then, when a huge peach starts to grow from a supposedly dead tree, James realises that it was the crocodile tounges that are responsible and ventures into the huge fruit. There he meets six insects that have grown to be as big as him, and together they fly around the world on the peach, in search of New York City.
In this film there is a clever use of part real people, part animation which works really well, and is for most of the film seems it actually feels like a cartoon.
Overall this is a great adaptation of a very successful Roald Dahl novel and is sure to entertain children of all ages, and adults alike. If you have very hyperactive kids, then this is a great film to buy as it will keep them quiet for the whole time its on. A good choice if you or your children want some fun.
on 28 June 2016
Super DVD. I bought for my class to watch after we finished the novel. The storyline of the DVD differs from the book so beware if your children are anal and weird about this type of thing as it generated lots of discussion! Still a super dvd, half real, half animated, Joanna Lumley is just fantastic.
I remember watching this film when it first came out and I loved it, but watching it again with my children recently I wasn't quite as struck on it as I was before.

The story itself is fantastic and I'd like to think that a lot of children will already be familiar with the Roald Dhal classic about a unfortunate young boy who finds sanctuary from his evil aunties by adventuring with insect companions on a massive peach.

Obviously with any translation to screen, a book is going to be adapted to fit the movie - it is Americanised, but the principle cast ensure that it doesn't feel as though it's at a great cost to the film. But the story itself isn't as edgy as the book, the film relies more on the insect characters and of those only two stand out as interesting; the New Yorker Caterpillar (voiced by Richard Dreyfuss) and the worm. The worm is played by the unmistakable voice of David Thewlis - and to be honest he is the star of the film in my opinion, but then I'm perhaps biased as I'm a Thewlis fan, but when did you ever see him give a dud performance?

James and the Giant Peach becomes a fun musical, but apart from the song 'Eating the Peach' the soundtrack is jaunty but never catchy. You watch this and feel that it was perhaps all done to a higher standard in the brilliant The Nightmare Before Christmas. If the songs had been of a higher quality then this would have been a fantastic family film - but as it stands, it's not bad.
on 20 June 2011
Excellent DVD - I've been reading the book with the children and it's good to be able to watch it AFTER we've read it. The children now understand that sometimes the film doesn't stick to the story in the book!
on 26 August 2011
Again another big screen adaptation of a Roald Dahl classic and stands up there with the BFG and recently the fantastic mr fox. I think I enjoyed this more than my son but hope he will grow to love this too.
on 26 October 2011
Received with thanks ! Perfect my son loves this film, arrived within expected delivery due dates.
No hassle at all with this order