on 8 May 2013
Andy Tillison is a very talented man. He's a keyboard wizard worthy of comparison with some the old prog giants. He's an inventive and interesting songwriter. But I'm not as keen on his singing, which sounds like a cross between a nightclub crooner and a not very good Peter Hammill impersonator, to me. I still really like this album, but it could have been an absolute classic with a better, less mannered, singer, in my view.

Also, I do wish that the CD had been 4 long songs, rather than being split into loads of smaller tracks.

My comments are meant to be constructive criticism, rather than spiteful. And I really do still like this album and think Tillison is one of the more gifted people playing prog - great band on this CD as well, with David Jackson from VdGG.
on 18 October 2004
The CD opens with "Darkest Dreams" which is about 20 minutes long and has some great moments. It then moves on to the "Canturbury Sequence", My all time favourite. It is a style I had never listened to before, its Rock with elements of Jazz, but not exactly fusion. Then comes the 7 Minute single song, "Uphill From Here" With 2 different guitarists it makes this piece orignal and enjoyable. The "Music That Died Alone", is last and was my least favourite, but still superb.
After two listens this CD became my favourite for a long time. This is a quality purchase, and one that any fan of progressive music should have in their collection. Intricate arrangements layer every track, supported by some blinding musicianship. Roine Stolt's guitar work really shines on this release, and his vocals are clean and emotive.
on 30 October 2015
The Tangent surprised fans of progrock, the most beautiful album Music That Died Alone. Music bore with itself novelty of sounding. Andy Tillison managed to integrate a command of stars and such jumbogroup which could integrate in itself bright identity and the highest class turned out. It is possible to write much about The Tangent, but it is better to listen to it. I recommend to all, pleasant rest with The Tangent.
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2004
A lot has been said about this in various prog related web sites. So does the hype match the actual album? Yes it certainly does. This is a wonderful collaboration between Roine Stolts’ classic prog style and Andy Tillisons’ more modern approach. The songwriting, playing and production on this is top notch. I am familiar with Andy's work in PO90, but nothing there matches the sophistication and maturity of this recording. The Canterbury Sequence is particularly fun, hearing Stolt doing a valvey Phil Miller, Zoltan being a busy Pip Pyle and Andy vocalising like Richard Sinclair with Hammond like Dave Stewart and synth like Alan Gowen. Great stuff indeed. I believe a second album is being recorded.
on 31 December 2007
Andy Tillison is unknown to me, but I think the music on this CD rates as highly as anything I've heard in over 30 years. As far as it goes, this music should appeal to anyone who has liked Van der Graaf (Generator for us oldies) and not merely because of Jaxon's presence. That isn't all there is, though and this music blends the old and much that is fresh and new.
This is a beautifully crafted and played album of music. Go and listen to it, but don't assume it will reveal itself immediately - it probably won't! There are influences here that reach back over 30 years, but only to project them into the here and now. Tillison seems to think about his music as well as play it. Dammit there's nowt wrong with that!
on 31 March 2014
I didn't realise how good this was until I recently discovered it among my 2000 CDs.
I haven't stopped playing it since!
on 21 April 2007
Well, this turned out to be a BIG disappointment. Having read reviews, and bought everything else that Roine Stolt has done, I thought it time to give The Tangent a try. Now, I may think differently after 20 or so plays, but I just cannot imagine playing this CD that many times. It is one of those strange ones that, in my view, never gets started. Yes there are some interesting passages, but it is light years away from Transatlantic or The Flower Kings. Do not assume you will like this if you like the aforementioned.