Customer reviews

1,132
Morphy Richards 48715A Oval Slow Cooker, 6.5L - Silver

on 28 September 2015
You will receive the 48715A. This is the new version, but for some reason they have made it significantly smaller than the old series. The old series is the one advertised. Morphy Richards has seen fit to reduce the size of all their old series slow cookers and sticking 'A' on the end of the models, and unfortunately it's creating confusion with the good people at Amazon and their partner companies, as this has happened twice now with two different models, as they all seem to believe that the A series is the same. This is resulting in sending out products smaller than those advertised. Sadly the new A series is no good for me, simply not large enough for a chicken for example, and when I cook large batches I would have to reduce down all of my recipes and cook more often, which is not what I want. Why MR have reduced the size of a perfectly good range I don't know, but I am now completely giving up on Morphy Richards when it comes to slow cookers. I will stick to my old series cooker, even though it's dropping to bits, nice and large, and buy a new pot for it (the old one cracked). When the cooker finally dies I will move on to a different company. What a shame. As you can see by the picture the old series on the left, is significantly larger than the new series, shown on the right. What a flipping swizz.
review image
33 Comments| 225 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2017
I know people have said that theirs is small but mine's not. I have had it for a bit but it fits 2 largeish porky shoulders in enough for 10 people with no trouble. It's not the fanciest of slow cookers but that's not what I needed. It does exactly what it's supposed to and I've had no problem with liquid loss or over cooking, it's been a very reliable cooking companion. My only slight moan it that it says you can't stand the ceramic inner in water which makes me paranoid about washing. Good in some ways though because it doesn't hang around. If this ever dies I shall be replacing immediately.
on 9 March 2015
Supposedly identical model (48715) bought to replace one bought 4 years earlier (the vitreous enamel cooking vessel cracked as a result of filling with cold water to clean before it had cooled down) but this is significantly smaller than the original, despite the cooking vessel being advertised as the same size. It is ideal for a family of 4 and we use it 2 - 3 times per week but not suitable for large dinner parties as the older model was. Naughty Morphy Richards should be clearer about the spec in relation to the product it replaced! Beware to get the right size if you have to buy replacement cooking vessel as a spare part.
Update, May 2017: after 2 1/2 years of regular use, the plastic control assembly has broken away from the metal casing and is unrepairable. However, I intend to order a new one as a replacement and keep the vitreous enamel cooking vessel and glass lid as spares. It's a bit disappointing that it has broken but we have had good use out of it.
on 17 July 2017
This has been fantastic for winter stews and casseroles and for braising a large piece of meat. It's really big, so great for entertaining; we've done a ham for 15 people in it before and it worked very well.

The many recipes online for cooking gammon or ham in fizzy drinks such as coke or ginger beer are highly recommended, as is Jamie Oliver's one that involves coating it in marmalade.
on 7 October 2017
Great product. I only have one comment in that these none of the new models I have bought are as good as the old Tower original slow cooker. They get a lot hotter, both on the outside and on the inside at the lowest heat setting. I use my slow cooker a lot when we have a BBQ as we can then cook the food on the BBQ and keep them warm in the slow cooker. My husband can then cook the food and still enjoy himself once he has finished cooking, and our guests can eat at their leisure. These new products continue to cook the BBQ foods a little longer that the older version (in our experience) but it is still a great product.
on 28 April 2017
works well, but too big requires a lot meat and stock, should have bought a smaller one
on 22 November 2016
I made a beautiful chicken stew in mine and it did the job perfectly. I highly recommend this product
on 6 June 2017
Love this crockpot! Perfect size for a family. We use ours for batch cooking. We slow cook and then freeze yummy curries and all kinds of pot meals. There are so many things you can make with these and its super duper easy!
on 17 August 2017
Had this for over a year now. Still going strong with moderate use. Probably a bit too big unless you're cooking for lots of people or batch cooking.
on 19 April 2015
Wish I'd have bought one years ago !! When I do a casserole in it, I prep and chop my veg the night before, making sure the pieces are quite small.(The hard root veg do take quite a while to cook). Next mornin, get up, put your meat and stock and seasoning in, turn on low and your away!!Several hours later,its absolutely beautiful. The meat just breaks in your mouth. Love doing my joints in it too,as the meat is always so much tender