Format: DVD|Change

on 21 September 2005
Let's get the perspective clear from the start: I grew up despising Barbie in all her guises - her only discernable use was as legitimate target practice for my action man. I resisted all things Barbie until my daughter was introduced to her via this exposition at a friend's house and Santa caved in on her fourth Christmas. Seen through the eyes of a parent, this film does terrible things to Tchaikovsky's masterpiece - cutsie animals, lavender unicorns and a changed ending but my daughter was captivated by this, the best of the series. By that magic ability that six-year-old girls possess that enables them to wrap fathers round their little fingers, she has since added most of the others, though this remains the favourite.
If you can bear to be in the room whilst it's on, there are positives - the animation is remarkably good, particularly in the dance scenes and, of course, the music remains as one of the best ballet scores ever. Another plus is that she couldn't wait to see the real thing on stage and had a much better understanding of the plot and music than she might otherwise have had. Much as it sticks in the craw to recommend anything Barbie, if you have pink-flavoured offspring aged four to eight with any interest in ballet this is an investment that will give you hours of peace and will probably exceed your expectations in all respects.
on 24 September 2004
A mix of ballet dancing, pink unicorns, Barbie, a naughty wizard, and a handsome prince is bound to be a winner as any parent of a little girl knows.
I would highly recommend it - especially the fact that buried away in the "more fun" menu is a section where you can play all the dances by themselves. My three year old loves it.
Only minor quibble is that the story is a bit disjointed in places.
on 12 November 2003
My daughter is 4 1/2 and a big barbie fan.She has watched Barbie Swan Lake and thinks it is wonderful.She loves copying the ballet dance moves.I would highly recomend this video to anyone who loves Barbie especially if they enjoyed Nutcracker and Rapunzel.This video is deffinatly one to watch many times!
on 10 January 2013
Excellent product and delivery. The production and story-telling is first class! My three and five year old grand-daughters absolutely love it - what a great way to instill the classics in the next generation! Well done Mattel/Universal.
on 4 January 2012
Daughters comment:
Another beautiful performance from the London Orchestra. This film is fabulous. A work of CGI art. Barbie tells her tale and you are magically transported to a wonderful realm of fantasy. It really makes you wish that magic can be real in this world.
Overall, a must buy for Barbie fans! :)
on 20 November 2003
This version of Swan Lake bears very little resemblance to the original story.

The storyline has been heavily tweaked, with new characters, name changes and an alternate ending. Yes, the music has been re-arranged too. If you don't compare it to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, though, you'll warm to it. The ballet movements are apparently created by filming real ballerinas and then overlaying the computer-generated characters, so the dancing is just about as fluid as you would expect to see on stage. The quality of the animation is higher than average, so it's quite pleasant to watch from an aesthetic point of view.

The unicorn was a little over the top(!) and the scene where we are introduced to Odette and her sister didn't seem to sit properly with the rest of the film, but all in all I found most of the changes to the story to be interesting alternatives and enjoyed watching it with my children. Afterwards, we talked about various topics, from how the film was animated using computers, to how it compared with the traditional version of the story. We also had a decent rendition of Swan Lake to play in the car for the next few days so the girls could appreciate more than just the overture!
on 16 June 2011
I saw a trailer for Barbie Nutcracker years back at the cinema and thought it looked good and I would like to see it.

Well I forgot about it until recently I was in the library and they were selling their copy of Barbie Swan Lake dirt cheap so I grabbed it thinking 'why not'

It was awesome! Seriously! :)

So then I looked online and found another couple secondhand dirt cheap too, got those.

And my son was in town and they are on special in one of the stores really really good price (cheaper than the ones online) so he got me 3 more that I particularly wanted.

I have watched Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and The Princess and the Pauper so far. Still have 12 Dancing Princesses, Mermaidia and Pegasus to watch.

They are easily as good as the likes of Toy Story, Shrek etc and the classic Disneys like Snow White.

I reckon most people probably wouldn't look twice at them because of the Barbie label, but all that is, is that she introduces and ends the story.

I can't imagine anyone not enjoying them, so I really wanted to tell you all :)
on 4 January 2012
A sure sign of how good a film is, is if the children want to watch it again immediately after the first viewing. Given that this was a Christmas present, dread to think how many times it has been watched already.
on 4 October 2011
Bought Barbie of Swan Lake DVD for my grandaughter as a Christmas present so haven't yet watched it with her but I am sure it will be appreciated and will be as good as the other titles that I have bought before.
on 22 October 2003
What I like about these productions is that they are very good quality in the overall production, story and acting. Barbie in Swan lake was lacking in story and acting. (Kelsey Grammer was not at his best) the story needed more dialogue to demonstrate that Odette was intelligent and that she was inlove with the prince etc.
The graphics have not progressed much since the last film, however this isn't boring, which I am very glad of. the dances are interesting and simple enough for little girls to try and copy. At the end of the day, this was made for and you are buying this for young children. If they like it, its value for money.