Price:£11.79+ £1.26 shipping

on 26 October 2009
I bought this CD having only previously listened to The Given note (track 1)At that point I had no idea how great it all really is.
Everything on this fine piece of work reveals more depth and meaning the more you set time aside to listen and just imagine. Seamus has such a peaceful way of reading, and the Uilleann pipes of Liam are hauntingly magical.
If you are looking for something with Celtic magic and depth look no further.
Even if poetry is not really your thing, I'd say give this a try.
My personal favourite: The yellow bittern.
on 24 April 2006
What a pleasure to my ears! I had the privilege of hearing them in Sligo, Ireland, during the Yeats Summer school many years ago and the CD certainly brings back memories... well, music and poetry are made for these ( memories, I mean) and both artists are masters in their field. I especially find Heaney's voice very soothing. Would recommend to all who love Ireland and not only....
on 7 April 2010
To be clear, then, the album is made up of Heaney reading his poetry, more or less alternating with O'Flynn's musical interludes - mostly on pipes, but also whistle. Wisely, they do not try to combine the two.

I wasn't sure it would be for me; but then, following Heaney's own translation of An Bunnan Bui, the pipes burst out playing the tune to the song; a shiver went down my spine, my hair stood on end.

I suppose Heaney's poetic vignettes of rural Irish life are providing the context for the music. Or is it O'Flynn who is framing the poetry - saying, as it were, what you can't say in words? Either way, there's a definite sense of attempting to re-connect with the traditions modern Ireland has rather left behind. The lack of accompaniment suits O'Flynn's unhurried, articulate style, as it did that of his mentor, Seamus Ennis; I've never heard him to better effect. There is always going to be a degree of discomfort when you pair a 'highbrow' artist with a traditional one; but Heaney's pieces are unpretentious and of the soil - literally in some cases - so it works pretty well.

It sounds a truism (but it actually isn't) to say that, if you like Heaney and you like Irish music, chances are you will like this.
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2003
Seamus Heaney towers above all contemporary poets in his highly emotional and deeply described works. To read him is to take on the challenge of dimensions. To hear him read his work is to expose your heart and soul to a rich voice mining the golden seams of history and feelings. He is THE poet to absorb as you try to make sense of the past, present and future. 'Digging' is a classic to savour, Heaney is a poet to applaud and Liam O'Flynn is a piper to be paid in solid gold for his song. This cd is a treasure to be shared in a world of turmoil. Enjoy the chance to relish this inspired project.
on 24 May 2013
Yes this was great to sit and listen to.. im fairly new to poetry - but 'gettin in2 it' now. This was a lovely combination I was almost wishing I was Irish and more familiar with the folklore(there's something new for me to explore) but I didnt feel left out.. sitting with my laptop and reading the poems/their explanations on line as the cd played was quite an easy/relaxed/enjoyable learning experience. Mr H's voice has a mellow tone and the accompanying pipes were well matched to the readings. What a joint accomplishment for both Artists.

1 cd,

Open the Door for Three*
The Annals Say
Postscript
Garret Barry's Reel/Sean Reid's Favourite*

* played by pipes inbetween readings

please 4give any typo errors :))
on 3 December 2013
I tried to buy tickets for Seamus Heaney and Liam O'Flynn's performance of "The Poet And The Piper at our local theatre in August, but unfortunately they were sold out. I was devastated when I heard of Seamus Heaney's death a few weeks later and realised that I would never again have the chance to hear him reading his poems.
I bought this CD as a replacement for what I had missed, and while it can't fully compensate for missing the live performance, the combination of Seamus reading his poems and Liam O'Flynn on the Uilleann pipes has produced a beautiful, atmospheric memory of a great poet.
on 23 March 2014
The CD arrived promptly and was well-packaged. Both Seamus Heaney's readings and the pipe music are lovely. It was bought for a birthday present for a friend who is a Seamus Heaney fan, and she was delighted!
on 29 January 2015
To hear Seamus Heaney reading his own poems is immeasurably better than just reading the words. The tonal quality of his voice, his accent and emphasis bring the words added meaning. The carefully selected pieces from Liam O'Flynn provide haunting interludes between the spoken word and add an extra layer to the deep feeling for rural life, the natural world and the land itself. This is a powerful, emotional and accurately representative combination of words and music.
Delivery and packaging excellent.
on 26 May 2012
I must admit I only splashed out a few spare coins of "disposable income" because there was more of Liam to be heard. He's never disappointing.

As for the Poetry, I really didn't care. It could easily be scanned over and ignored. However, on first full listening, (for benefit of doubt's sake) I strangely found some of it to be quite beguiling as well as beautifully presented. As much a professional product as I might expect from Liam anyway.

It reminded me that, for a number of years, I have been pressing an old "Old" friend to record some of his tunes, songs and stories. This little production re-ignited my efforts to force him to do it - but he insisted I play on at least 2 tracks. One day soon perhaps...

It's an inspirational album in a way... not something for everyone though, but a well-crafted addition to Life's Library of sounds for future generations.
on 21 May 2016
Good product sent as present cannot understand why it went via another country before it got to my brother. So it took a while to arrive And was a birthday present