• Sk1

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 May 2004
Well, about 18 months ago, me and a couple of mates caught Simple Kid live purely by accident. At that point we'd not heard of him and were there to see a local band that were supporting. What an accident it was! We were all blown away by the sheer quality of SK and his band (incidently I've seen him live since without the backing band, and the backing band definately add to the experience).
Anyway, as soon as I discovered he had released this album a made sure I got a copy straight away. I was a little apprehensive that it wouldn't live up to the stunning live show. But my word it did. On first listen some tracks jump out at you immediately, such as "Staring at the Sun" with its catchy guitar line and sing-along chorus, and also "Average Man" which has a Dylan-esque sound, but given the modern smample-happy treatment. But on further listens you start to really get into other tracks such as the attack on working-life drudgery that is "The Commuter", "Kid's Don't Care" with its so-laid-back-its-almost-horizontal chorus and also the swirling, atmospheric "Love's enigma". In fact every track is a gem and you'll find yourself listening to it over and over again - I bought the album in October 2003 and have listened to it regularly since. Its got everything - songs you can sing along to, songs to tap your feet along to, as well as some great tunes to chill-out to. All-in-all its the best album I've bought in a long time, and a highly recommended live act too. BUY THIS ALBUM, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
on 2 October 2003
Artists that fall into the same genre as Simple Kid are always difficult to pin point. Whilst the general tunes are catchy, groovy with a mix of rock and the kind of songs you can easily bop around in your car to..the lyrics are incredibly intelligent.It's the kind of album that the more you listen to it the more you understand it. Under all the catchy, humming tunes are really observant lyrics on the goings on of life. Highlights on this album are Staring at the Sun, Average Man, and the amusing Supertramps and Superstars.
Anyone who likes Beck, Polyphonic Spree, Badly Drawn Boy and Bob Dylan will enjoy this.
on 22 January 2004
...if you do nothing else in this life, try to see Simple Kid live. The album is fantastic but doesn't do justice to his live performance. I had the good fortune to see him in an 80 person capacity venue in London last night. Just Simple Kid with his big brother, accoustic guitars, an old drum machine, a lot of laughs and even more innovation. The best gig I have been to by far. This guy is going to be very big, very soon.
on 26 March 2004
Whatever I say about this album won't do it enough justice. A kind of mix of styles ranging from Elliot Smith to Matthew Jay. Young, talented and highly skilled - each song is a cracker that deserves your full attention. Simple acoustic tracks with very clever lyrics over sublime loops and samples that just... work. As with any good album a change in tempo and style keeps the listener attentive.
One of my favourite albums of last year, I see him along side other British single artists such as Badly Drawn Boy and Tom McRae. Standout track is the brilliant 'Staring At The Sun'. Clever lyrics and a chorus everyone can sing along to. Variation in his styles and variation of these styles even within songs simply make this album a must have purchase.
I personally think it takes a bit of time to grow on you, or you to grow to it, but it is simple class. No pun intended...Honest.
*** Like: Elliot Smith and Matthew Jay ***
on 18 August 2006
I caught a live performance from Simple Kid a couple years ago on Jools Holland, but I never caught his name, so I was left frustrated, wondering who in the hell it was I had just seen who had blown me away so much.

Purely by accident I recently came across the artist I now know as Simple Kid and made a beeline for Amazon. To my amazement I got hold of a copy for only £3.49 including post and packing!!!!

In todays musical landscape it's very difficult to find anyone doing anything remotely original, so it's with great joy that I now listen to Simple Kid's "1." It's hugely original and a real breath of fresh air, sounding quite unlike any recording artist I'm aware of, although admittedly he does sound a litle like Beck.

If there's any justice in the world, (Which sadly there isn't) this guy deserves to be huge. Great, original music for under a fiver, you can't go wrong.
on 21 February 2004
The range of styles, the wee surprises and delightful "wows" make this an essential purchase. Categorisation is pointless - your feet tap, your lips smile - rock, mock and pleasant shock. Everything is here - will you like it? What's not to like? It's not mainstream but it's not extreme - Martini music, anywhere, anytime for anyone. A self-effacing wee genius.
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2005
The debut album from Simple Kid and could we have asked for more? I think not. This is pure and simple music, except it isn't. Self produced and self recorded using an 8 track this album holds a great many gem. The album itself can feel a bit ecclectic at times, but never out of place, its quirkiness only enhancing its appeal. The album contains a mix of what feels like almost elcrtro driven beats with the calmer more melodic acoustic arrangements. I particularly like the tracks Hello, Staring At The Sun and Drugs, these being some of the highlights in my opinion. All in all this is an album to really look out for and hopefully we will see more great things coming from Simple Kid and his Lo-Fi sound. Did I mention that I saw him in Glastonbury and he was fantastic.
on 3 June 2004
If you like just pure, well written, solid songwriting and music...here, Simple Kid.
No flash, to effects...just amazing music.
If you have the chance, see him live as well. It's everything you ever want in a great live show.
on 14 March 2004
Every single song on this album is a cracker. Upbeat happy tunes, that are guaranteed to put a smile on your face. It's the kind of album you want everybody you know to hear. I have never ever written an amazon review, but here i find myself after only a couple of listens.This album is not a slow burner, but is infectious from the very first listen. You will not be disappointed.
on 10 September 2003
After hearing some hype about this album and this label, I finally got an advance ? copy of the single and the album. Brilliant songcrafting, great dreary vocals, and personality that was far from "simple" I can't wait to see this live- I love the fact that it is slow, melodic, mid tempo as it were, this is the future of good music, a record where every song has it's own agenda, not some Vines or Strokes rubbish where the album sounds like it was done in 30 minutes. I look forward to more form Simple Kid, and if this label 2 m can keep giving me artists as diverse and real as this , I will buy stock in the company! Well done, Simple Kid.